• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Studying Religion

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
This question is more about religion in general.

How does one study religions without a degree? I've run across a couple of websites with info but now I just want to know how to go about actually systematically studying them. Does anyone have any idea?

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
Critical thinking with unbiased objectivity is how I personally delve intellectually into analyzing the myriad components and concepts of religious texts.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I did a number of things: read the holy books, read hagiography of various figures to see why they were lauded, visited various centers and religious site, talked to people who were practitioners to understand how they viewed the religion and so forth.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I started in a church, joined a forum, started questioning beliefs, and began my research from there.

DavidFirth

How does one study religions without a degree? I've run across a couple of websites with info but now I just want to know how to go about actually systematically studying them. Does anyone have any idea?

Google Search everything you are interested in. Choose the results that you wish and like everybody else has said, start reading.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Reading tons of it. Easy enough at home. Wikipedia any religion your interested in. Lets say Buddhism - Wikipedia at the bottom of the page is a list of references and sources. Explore these to gain a greater understanding of that religion than wikipedia itself can provide for you. If your not consuming several different books per religion you wont have a full picture.

Enjoy!

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
As many have said, Read ... lots ...

and perhaps it may also help get a fuller insight
to study the culture of the people in that time and place where the religion emerged ...

arthra

Baha'i

I useful tool for me has been searching the texts of the various religions via topics. Ocean is a collection of literature from many of the religions of the world:
You can try the following:
Baha'i Education
Download Ocean - Research Library by Baha'i Education

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Outside of historical and archaeological reasons, maybe some business administration, I think religious degrees are pretty much worthless in view of its practicality with the exception made of course to whatever religion the degree happens to be modeled around.

You pretty much don't need a degree to learn about a religion.