• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupid Phone Rings

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The stupid phone rings 20 times a day. No point in answering as it is always someone wanting to convince me I need to part with my money.

When did my phone become a medium for someone else's profit?
My wife calls me once a day. My kids only in emergency.
Everyone else can ****-off.

exchemist

Veteran Member
The stupid phone rings 20 times a day. No point in answering as it is always someone wanting to convince me I need to part with my money.

Until late last year my land line was used only by my ancient father and by scam callers. Now that he has died, it is just the scam callers. So now when the land line rings I let it go through to the answerphone, reasoning that a genuine caller will leave a message or try my mobile. Thankfully, the scam callers have not yet got hold of my mobile number.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We had that trouble in the UK. Although you can register with the Telephone Preference Service which stops UK tele sales from calling it doesn't stop those calling from abroad. I'm not sure if other countries have a similar service.
Our VOIP phone in france has features to block known spam numbers, hidden numbers, unrecognised numbers etc. Even so some manage to get through. We probably get 1 or 2 spam calls a week. The display shows the number phoning so we can ignore those we don't recognise.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
We had that trouble in the UK. Although you can register with the Telephone Preference Service which stops UK tele sales from calling it doesn't stop those calling from abroad. I'm not sure if other countries have a similar service.
Our VOIP phone in france has features to block known spam numbers, hidden numbers, unrecognised numbers etc. Even so some manage to get through. We probably get 1 or 2 spam calls a week. The display shows the number phoning so we can ignore those we don't recognise.

Might have to look to see if we have something similar.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Might have to look to see if we have something similar.

Piqued my interest so did a Google.

The National Do Not Call Registry helps you reduce the number of telemarketing calls you receive. Stop unwanted sales calls by registering your phone number: Online: Visit DoNotCall.gov. By phone: Call 1-888-382-1222 or TTY: 1-866-290-4236.​

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Just block the numbers. The more you block, in time, the more less it will ring.

Just note it will take a long time with thousands upon thousands of blocks, but it works. I've been blocking for several years now and only get those rings maybe once or twice a week and I still block to this day if the caller is unfamiliar.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I have a Truecall device * for my landline such that I never get such calls. Not sure if this is available for mobiles though but I suspect the equivalent will be - though such will not be free more than likely. :oops:

* Call screening device with various options and monitoring/logging of all calls via the internet.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

If I don't recognize the caller, I just let it go into voicemail. I also block anyone who calls me but doesn't leave a message.
Thus, I usually get only 1 or 2 calls of that type per week max.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If I don't recognize the caller, I just let it go into voicemail. I also block anyone who calls me but doesn't leave a message.
Thus, I usually get only 1 or 2 calls of that type per week max.

I did start to block calls but they have a way to generate false numbers. So some never use the same number twice I found.
I do notice most of these callers generate a number that have the same area code as I do. So yeah if I don't recognize a phone number from my area code. Which btw I don't live in that area any more, I don't answer.

Though sometimes perhaps I'm missing legitimate calls sometimes.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I just don't answer calls that aren't from numbers or area codes I recognize. Occasionally, I'll get a spammer from a known code, but its not a daily thing.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I did start to block calls but they have a way to generate false numbers. So some never use the same number twice I found.
I do notice most of these callers generate a number that have the same area code as I do. So yeah if I don't recognize a phone number from my area code. Which btw I don't live in that area any more, I don't answer.

Though sometimes perhaps I'm missing legitimate calls sometimes.
I think shadow phone number generation should be illegal. It's clearly tampering, and I don't understand why this is even allowed at all.

You get 1 number that's yours , per phone, and that's it.