• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sukyo Mahikari

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Yay, the first thread about it. lol

I recall way, way back now to the late 70's and early '80's when this movement was really big (especially in Australia).

Along with the 'Orange People' and Eckankar (which I also do recall), there was this fad/cult...although, we just knew it as Mahikari back then.

It was the thread about Eckankar which led me to recall Sukhyo Mahikari.

I was in the cult for about a year, but I wouldn't have called it a cult, really. It was just a Shinto 'spin-off' concentrating on healing through the power of Chi. It involved a lot of meditation, prayer and clapping. lol

I just remembered it and being involved in it for a while...Mahikari didn't last long though - only a few years, and that was really a shame! It was sorta where Shinto meets Martial Arts.

There was a big controversy over the founders of the cult, which tainted the philosophy and practice of it...and it's always sad when that happens, when a vote of 'no confidence' is placed in the teachings because of the teacher.

I tried to recall the Amatsu Norigoto prayer, and only remembered the first few lines, but it all came flooding back once I heard it in full again:

[youtube]FDL0Cec8sPg[/youtube]
Amatsu Norigoto (Para purificación de las células espirituales) - YouTube

Yeah, I learned all my Chi healing techniques here, and how to focus/balance Chi.

Hearing Amatsu Norigoto again after such a very long time, brought back a lot of memories, but also a sense of calmness I have really needed for a few days.

So, the first thread on Sukyo Mahikari...go!

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It had a burst of populatity here in Brazil in the 1980s as well. My sister was a member, and I watched a seminary. Much later I realized the Shinto influence.

It seemed nice enough, if perhaps a bit unquestioning. Are you sure that they ended?

In some ways the (very much thriving) Messianic (Shinto) / Johrei Center movement reminds me of them. Although they seem to be a bit more organized and formal.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
As for the "Orange People", I don't miss them at all. I wish I did. I wish I could.

Their legacy is still all too alive and reproducing, destructive as it is. They remind me a lot of Thelema, with a different language, a bit less individualism and even less questioning.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
It had a burst of populatity here in Brazil in the 1980s as well. My sister was a member, and I watched a seminary. Much later I realized the Shinto influence.

It seemed nice enough, if perhaps a bit unquestioning. Are you sure that they ended?

In some ways the (very much thriving) Messianic (Shinto) / Johrei Center movement reminds me of them. Although they seem to be a bit more organized and formal.
I just saw on Youtube, it's still alive and well (and going strong), but in Australia, it kind of died...there used to be centres everywhere and I don't think any exist anymore over here...I may be wrong, and if there is, I'd like to drop in and just say 'hi' one of these days.

ali399

:)nie:)
Yay, the first thread about it. lol

I recall way, way back now to the late 70's and early '80's when this movement was really big (especially in Australia).

Along with the 'Orange People' and Eckankar (which I also do recall), there was this fad/cult...although, we just knew it as Mahikari back then.

It was the thread about Eckankar which led me to recall Sukhyo Mahikari.

I was in the cult for about a year, but I wouldn't have called it a cult, really. It was just a Shinto 'spin-off' concentrating on healing through the power of Chi. It involved a lot of meditation, prayer and clapping. lol

I just remembered it and being involved in it for a while...Mahikari didn't last long though - only a few years, and that was really a shame! It was sorta where Shinto meets Martial Arts.

There was a big controversy over the founders of the cult, which tainted the philosophy and practice of it...and it's always sad when that happens, when a vote of 'no confidence' is placed in the teachings because of the teacher.

I tried to recall the Amatsu Norigoto prayer, and only remembered the first few lines, but it all came flooding back once I heard it in full again:

[youtube]FDL0Cec8sPg[/youtube]
Amatsu Norigoto (Para purificación de las células espirituales) - YouTube

Yeah, I learned all my Chi healing techniques here, and how to focus/balance Chi.

Hearing Amatsu Norigoto again after such a very long time, brought back a lot of memories, but also a sense of calmness I have really needed for a few days.

So, the first thread on Sukyo Mahikari...go!