• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Surely the world we live in proves there is no [loving] God.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
But that highlighted part above, you are quite wrong on ... you'd be surprised (if you spent some time studying).

No, they are. Both are homophobic (I'm not straight and I'm also transgender), both demand negative and restrictive behavioral modification, both have concepts of "sin" (I don't believe in any such thing as "sin"), both demand humility and submission thereby suffocating the individual Will, both are focused on the afterlife rather than this world, both are anti-"worldly pleasure", etc. I could go on.

Islam just goes a step further and says that smoking, drinking and other "vices" are "sins" whereas most of Christianity allows those things in moderation.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Then you could just kill everyone in the world. That way, you'll be the only sinner in Hell and everyone else rejoicing in paradise ;)

You definitely need a lesson on 'purpose of life' ....
I'm just pointing out the logical ramifications of your position. There are similar logical problems with pronouncements of other religious authorities. It is hardly unique to Islam.

Frankly, I find Islam one of the less irrational world religions. Nevertheless, you didn't address my post.

Tom

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The only problem being - when you don't submit, you start coming up with whatever you want which are man made and not according to divine guidance.
Is Islam even relevant in a discussion about a loving god? The Qur'an has more sadism in it than any other religious text I've ever read.

A few examples, among many verses that glorify cruelty:

Qur'an said:
004.056 Those who reject our Signs, We shall soon cast into the Fire: as often as their skins are roasted through, We shall change them for fresh skins, that they may taste the penalty: for God is Exalted in Power, Wise.

022.018 Seest thou not that to God bow down in worship all things that are in the heavens and on earth,- the sun, the moon, the stars; the hills, the trees, the animals; and a great number among mankind? But a great number are (also) such as are fit for Punishment: and such as God shall disgrace,- None can raise to honour: for God carries out all that He wills.
022.019 These two antagonists dispute with each other about their Lord: But those who deny (their Lord),- for them will be cut out a garment of Fire: over their heads will be poured out boiling water.
022.020 With it will be scalded what is within their bodies, as well as (their) skins.
022.021 In addition there will be maces of iron (to punish) them.
022.022 Every time they wish to get away therefrom, from anguish, they will be forced back therein, and (it will be said), "Taste ye the Penalty of Burning!"

040.070 Those who reject the Book and the (revelations) with which We sent our apostles: but soon shall they know,-
040.071 When the yokes (shall be) round their necks, and the chains; they shall be dragged along-
040.072 In the boiling fetid fluid: then in the Fire shall they be burned;
040.073 Then shall it be said to them: "Where are the (deities) to which ye gave part- worship-
040.074 "In derogation of God?" They will reply: "They have left us in the lurch: Nay, we invoked not, of old, anything (that had real existence)." Thus does God leave the Unbelievers to stray.
040.075 "That was because ye were wont to rejoice on the earth in things other than the Truth, and that ye were wont to be insolent.
040.076 "Enter ye the gates of Hell, to dwell therein: and evil is (this) abode of the arrogant!"

nazz

Doubting Thomas
I feel fine. Islam's moral teachings are very similar to Christianity's. So I know it will make me miserable. Been there, done that and dumped it. Feel all the better for it.

Took a little nap and thought about what Jesus asks me to give up: anger, bitterness, revenge, materialism, fake religiosity, self-righteousness, etc. Sure, I am stubborn and try to hang on to many of those but it's pretty stupid to do so.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
004.056 Those who reject our Signs, We shall soon cast into the Fire: as often as their skins are roasted through, We shall change them for fresh skins, that they may taste the penalty: for God is Exalted in Power, Wise.

I remember reading something similar on the Catholic Encyclopedia about that happening to the damned after they have been reunited with their bodies. Before that, the damned in hell will only experience spiritual sufferings but when they get their bodies back, physical sufferings will be added in order for them to get the full torment.

Sees

Dragonslayer
That's all just mystical talk for a brief spanking and then eternal paradise... :run:

Is Islam even relevant in a discussion about a loving god? The Qur'an has more sadism in it than any other religious text I've ever read.

A few examples, among many verses that glorify cruelty:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Lol. What? Following that logically is impossible and would require a disturbance in the force. :-D

Not really, what requires the disturbance in the force is ancient morality being imposed on modern people. Christianity isn't any different. The most selfless act I could do according to Christian teaching is to whack my elderly mother to death. I know her very well, and I know as well as possible that she is practically a saint.(She has put up with me for over 50 years and still loves me:rolleyes:) So wouldn't sending her to Heaven immediately, instead of putting her through a few more years of ill health and risk of committing some mortal sin, be the Christian thing to do? I'd be giving up my own Salvation, but hey, she's my Mom and I'd do anything for her.

Besides, I'd only have to be penitent afterwards(and I surely would be) and presto Mom and I meet in Heaven soon.:cloud9:

Fortunately for everybody I believe in a humanistic ethical framework and do not depend on the writings of ancient people for moral guidance. I will take what they have to give, but not put too much faith in it.

Tom

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I bumped into a Plymouth Brethren the other day. Now I am not singling out that particular religion but the conversation highlighted a problem I have always had about the God of the bible.
I asked him “why would a loving God create smallpox for example, or river blindness [Onchocerciasis] or Malaria” and so on. His answer was ‘to test mankind’ ?

Surely the world we see around us proves behind all doubt whatsoever that if there is an intelligent creator he is not the loving God that the Christians believe in?

Hi Suzy. First, I'd like to say that I'm really glad that you've stuck around after the first thread. :)

This is a challenging question and please know that as a Christian, I've asked this question myself, particularly when faced with hardship in my own life.

I don't have an answer as to where ailments and obstacles come from. I don't know if God allows these things to happen to test us or if they just happen.

What I have found to be true in my own life is that God has been faithful to me and though obstacles do occur, some far more painful than others, I've never been given more than I can handle, as He's promised. I never have doubted His love, as when I sit silent and really look at a situation, I can see how I've been edified. But, sometimes, it takes a long way to get to that point. Life can be tough.

Whenever I look at my daughters, I'm reminded of God's love. Whenever I look at my husband and my amazing spiritual journey connecting with a man miles and miles away...taking steps that defied what made sense spirtually...I'm reminded of God's love.

This is just my personal account of course. I don't think that there's an easy answer to the question. But, it's a very good question. I think many of us have asked it on more than one occasion.

All my best!

nazz

Doubting Thomas
No, they are. Both are homophobic (I'm not straight and I'm also transgender), both demand negative and restrictive behavioral modification, both have concepts of "sin" (I don't believe in any such thing as "sin"), both demand humility and submission thereby suffocating the individual Will, both are focused on the afterlife rather than this world, both are anti-"worldly pleasure", etc. I could go on.

I follow a Christian spiritual path. I'm not homophobic (the church I attend is mostly GLBT), I always tell other believers that striving to overcome negative behavior is a waste of time and will likely backfire, and my concept of "sin" is just ethical evil. I find humility a positive quality and asserting my own will has been the number one cause of suffering in my own life as well as others. I do look forward to a better life than here on earth but that does not mean I reject involvement in this one. As for "worldly pleasure" I guess it depends on what you mean.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I follow a Christian spiritual path. I'm not homophobic (the church I attend is mostly GLBT), I always tell other believers that striving to overcome negative behavior is a waste of time and will likely backfire, and my concept of "sin" is just ethical evil. I find humility a positive quality and asserting my own will has been the number one cause of suffering in my own life as well as others. I do look forward to a better life than here on earth but that does not mean I reject involvement in this one. As for "worldly pleasure" I guess it depends on what you mean.

Well, you know I'm talking about traditional/institutional Christianity. Gnostic Christianity's another subject, but I obviously don't agree with Gnostic teachings either.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Well, you know I'm talking about traditional/institutional Christianity. Gnostic Christianity's another subject, but I obviously don't agree with Gnostic teachings either.

What I am talking about is not a Gnostic thing. Big changes are occurring throughout the Christian community as a whole.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Apologies. I was thinking of MeowMix's position, which is that God could create a world with virtually no suffering, except for unrequited love.

It is not necessary; the chips fell as they did. It would be better to cure and eliminate it, and if possible should be done.

No particular form of suffering, competition, starvation, extinction, is necessary, but it is a consequence.

It is an expression of the attributes of God. Values are from our perspective.
The discussion is about the existence of a loving god. It’s inherently about values. Any value I talk about here is only in reference the claim of theists that profess belief in a loving and all-powerful god.

So the question is, is a microscopic parasitic nematode that eats ocular tissue an expression of god, and the context is to see how the theist will reconcile that with the earlier claim of love and omnipotence. Nature has all manner of utterly creepy, destructive, and astounding complex and ingenious ways of causing suffering.

Crazy outcomes just happen sometimes. As an example, I was watching a documentary about arctic life. In the winter the ocean mostly freezes over, and animals can get trapped. There were a bunch of beluga whales stuck at a small hole in the ice, which was otherwise frozen for miles in every direction, and they were keeping the hole open due to constantly going up to breathe and move the water around. They had no access to food there, so they had to use energy reserves for six months of winter and descend into states of severe malnutrition. Polar bears can occasionally kill a beluga for a feast, so polar bears were around the edge of the hole, taking swipes at the belugas when they came up to breathe. All of the belugas had deep, horrible-looking scars covering every inch of their backs from repeated polar bear gashes over the long winter. Whales and dolphins are some of the smarter and more emotional creatures on earth, and this group spent six months in a constant state of swimming up and down to breathe, starving, and getting cut up over and over without rest. Would that state of affairs be an attribute of god too? Does it have concern for the well-being of the belugas and the polar bears?

Apologies. I did not connect all the dots in my response to you. I think it is not possible to have a different set of physical laws that 1) allow life to exist, 2) allow growth and change, 3) are consistent at the level at which life operates (ie, above the atomic level), so that 4) we can get reliable information about our environment, which includes 5) scientific inquiry, and 6) allows freedom and autonomy.
The universe apparently expanded from the Big Bang with heterogeneous distribution of particles that, when combined with gravity, eventually resulted in formation of galaxies, solar systems, and stars. The second law of thermodynamics is that if it’s a closed system, which as far as anyone can tell the universe is, it can only lead towards eventual homogenization, since entropy can only increase, meaning like a big homogenous soup of particles that can’t support life or any organization.

Within that framework, our solar system started out as a molecular soup from a nebula, with enough matter concentration due to gravity in the center to ignite a fusion source, and smaller bits on the disk to form planets. So far, it looks like all of the other planets probably don’t have life, because conditions for life as we know it are pretty specific and require a lot of variables. So, most of it is barren.

As our planet cooled, life was able to form on a thin film across the planet, above shifting tectonic plates, and below empty space that will kill life by freezing the body, boiling the blood, and with radiation overexposure. The atmosphere keeps most of that out, and the magnetosphere protects the atmosphere from being destroyed by solar winds. That’s apparently what happened to Mars- its magnetosphere went away and without that protection, the solar winds stripped most of whatever atmosphere it had away. Our atmosphere is a fairly fragile thing, and can lead to instances of temporary or permanent runaway cooling or heating, like the hellish conditions of Venus’ thick hot atmosphere.

Life developed in that environment through the predator/prey cycle of constant killing, plus diseases and viruses, with a variety of mass extinction events along the way whenever that extremely precarious balance that was previously described faltered by the smallest bit. There are various cosmic events that can and do kill the majority of life on earth, including nearby supernovas, or cosmic gamma ray blasts, or massive asteroid impacts. Most planetary bodies look like targets at a shooting range, covered in craters and all that, and Earth is the same except that the surface is dynamic enough to cover them up over time. There are also Earth-based extinction events caused by eruption of super-volcanos, or possible instances of enormous gas releases from the crust that an abruptly alter the characteristics of the atmosphere.

Basically, most of the universe appears barren, with rare bubbles where enough of the cosmic forces cancel out into an unsteady temporary balance where life can develop with occasional extinction events and random smaller acts of natural violence.

So what you’re saying, is that this was the single best way to achieve those goals you listed regarding intelligent life? That there’s no way to have done it differently, even given omnipotence and omniscience, to make the universe a suitable place for those goals?

But I can't imagine this infinite number of ways. Can you please describe it?
Sure, here are some ideas.

-A universe that isn’t trying to kill life in as many ways as was described above. A universe where most of it is in a pleasant state of balance for life, rather than allowing life to form only in fragile little temporary bubbles spread across the otherwise apparently barren cosmic environment.

-A universe with some form of magic. I’m not just talking about keeping all of the existing laws particles and tweaking them; I’m talking about if the universe could have been created from the ground up in any logically possible way. What if benevolent beings could spiritually/magically heal themselves and each other, like the character of Jesus did? Humans have no problem writing interesting imaginary worlds where stuff like that can happen. What if physical progress didn’t happen just in the form of technology, capable of being hoarded by few, but rather could be developed by anyone spiritually or magically, like healing effects or other effects? As it stands, in order to have things like advanced medical techniques, we need the complex industrialized society around it which tends to be in opposition to the rest of nature. Imagine if the system of nature was flexible enough where people could better their physical conditions without having to leave nature, like a tribe that could cure health problems better than modern medicine can do?

-My mother is sort of a fundamentalist about liberal new age theology. She believes in the Law of Attraction and structures her life around it hardcore. The belief is basically a panentheistic one, where humans are part of god and co-creators with god, and so their thoughts can shape reality. In their view, most people can only shape it a little due to imperfection and lack of certainty, but a master that is enlightened, which they use Jesus and his claimed miracles as an example, can produce dramatic effects. They believe group-focus can have larger effects amongst themselves, so like, they have organized conscious creation services where church leaders will help church members pray for their issues to resolve. Even though my mother is really hardcore about it like being a church leader, going to church-related things six days per week, and putting up notes everywhere in her apartment to remind her to consciously create every moment of the day, she has all manner of terrible conditions that only keep getting worse, and her goals generally keep not working out, and she’s been at it for decades now with little to show for it. But I mean, imagine if that worldview was actually correct, that humans had a spark of divine in them and with enough love and clear-thinking could potentially do anything in small amounts, amplified by group effort?

-Imagine your idea of the afterlife, whatever it is. You said in a recent post you think it’s like a baby being born into another step of the process. So the question is, do you think you could be born with an accidental birth defect in the afterlife? Could you get there and have your equivalent of ocular tissue eaten out by an organism after a while and be permanently disabled for the duration of that life? I imagine you probably don’t believe that, but you can confirm that or not. People often imagine that the afterlife “just works”. Like, things don’t get randomly screwed up there like they can here. The platform on which things happen, just works better and more consistently there. And no viruses or diseases.

-A universe where all injuries will eventually heal completely if given enough time and care. Lifelong injuries are kind of lame and not good for hope and all that. So you can still have your suffering if you want it with injuries and death and stuff, but there’s always a possibility for complete renewal, even if it takes a while.

-A universe that is more consistent about not causing birth defects like babies being born without limbs or alive and conscious with their intestines hanging out from unformed skin or things like that. Or where people don’t develop crazy health problems later in life that aren’t based on lifestyle choices.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think it is unguided evolution. I don't think that necessarily means that God is either non-loving or not all-powerful. The power of love is not in coercion and force.

I have never heard it called atheistic evolution, but I do not believe God guides evolution by tinkering with it physically.

Both. It came about by chance events, but was inevitable because this universe is a reflection of God' attributes, and sentience is one of those attributes.
Suppose that I was an expert in causing any splash pattern I want by throwing a stone into a lake. By picking the right stone and throwing it a certain way, I can cause any specific splash pattern. I don’t control the individual water molecules; I’m just really good at setting the initial conditions with that initial movement.

That seems to be how you’re describing god; that it set things up to reflect its attributes but lets it unfold how it does without further involvement. So my question is, how well do you believe god predicted the resulting splash pattern when starting it all? Does your view of omniscience include all future events? Did it know things like ocular-tissue-destroying parasitic nematodes would exist, and if so, are those a reflection of god’s attributes along with sentience? Could god have recognized all possible splash patterns and picked the best option for its goals regarding intelligent life, and if so, is this that universe? The optimized one?

God interacts with the world through us and our actions.
In what way?

Awareness and concern for every creature and each atom of creation.
Do you believe that it can distinguish between objects and assign different values to them? In other words, does it understand you as a person and care about your well-being, goals, needs, and desires, or are the boundaries of your atoms and your chair’s atoms not recognizable to it? Is it omniscient but impersonal and so totally different from human values that it might not have concern or awareness between life and non-life, suffering or joy, etc? Or does it value sentience and sapience and value individual beings?

Do you believe that it’s basically watching a movie, since it doesn’t tinker with anything? Does it hear prayers, and if so, does it adjust anything to suit them? Does the omniscience extend into the future so that it can see things before they occur, or is it as future-blind and bound by spacetime as any other being?

I’m not sure where the idea of omniscience originally developed. In the early Abrahamic text of Genesis, those oral traditions or writers didn’t seem to view their god as very aware. For example, when god was considering what to do about Sodom and Gomorrah, he said that he’ll go check to see if the situation is as bad as the outcry that reached him, so that he will know. And then later he sent messengers to see if there were 10 good people there. Literally or metaphorically, it was described as him having no direct knowledge of what’s going on at a city-wide level, let alone perfect awareness of individual human lives, other than receiving prayers which he can choose to directly go down and confirm or not. So somewhere in the development of Abrahamic religion over time, the idea of god being omniscient developed, rather than being an initial idea.

God is not involved in the manner you think he should be, I guess.
It’s not a matter of what I think it should be. I don’t believe in one, or at least not any anthropomorphized one that I think the word god would be a good word for. Instead it’s a matter of whether the description conflicts with the claim of a loving and all-powerful god or not.

Like, an absentee parent that never meets her child, doesn’t show up at the hospital when the kid is hurt, doesn’t agree to pay for anything, doesn’t return letters- she might just claim she’s not involved in the manner that others think she should be. But then to claim that there’s love there, that would be a claim to contest and ask for clarification on.

So, how does that differ from 'the ends justifying the means?' Or, doing things for the 'greater good.' Both of those principles, as you know, are fraught with danger if followed absolutely. So, you also think we still need to try our best, learn from our mistakes, and try again. We are in agreement on this.

I think it does. Your post and my original answer have scrolled off the page so I can't re-read it, but I think this was about how we make mistakes when we try to do good. We are not perfect. We have imperfect knowledge, imperfect intentions, and imperfect ability to put things into action in the best possible manner. But, we still try and that is a good thing.
Yes we do. But the point there is that people basically scramble to try to make the best of a difficult situation, and generally not to the degree that people would prefer. Not all diseases can be treated, attempts to shift resources around to help people often backfire, some advancements require ethical sacrifice like animal testing for advancements in human health care, because the foundational ways in which the world work, just don’t work all that well for ideals of perfection. Humans are basically scrambling around doing highly imperfect damage control, and most of it like natural catastrophes or animal-on-animal suffering, is virtually 100% out of our hands.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It seems quite incredulous to me that Christians would claim that "god is love" when it's quite obvious this isn't the case. IMO, it's an ideal they'd like to be real, because, quite frankly, the world sucks, and it's probably a comforting thought to have that there's something out there, bigger than anything else, who's in control of everything, and ultimately loves us. Too bad it's not real.

I do believe God is love, among other things. And there is really nothing anyone can say to make me believe any differently. So it isn't obvious, at least to us who believe it, that it isn't true (that God is love).

tpw0307

God is pure love..there's just so much misinformation/satanic influence/cults that it's almost impossible to see it sometimes if you aren't looking in the right place and seeking knowledge from the right people..I had the very same questions about God..and there are answers that will show he truly is love, and it's mankind's rebellion/sin/satanic influence that has caused all this pain/suffering we go through.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
God is pure love..there's just so much misinformation/satanic influence/cults that it's almost impossible to see it sometimes if you aren't looking in the right place and seeking knowledge from the right people..I had the very same questions about God..and there are answers that will show he truly is love, and it's mankind's rebellion/sin/satanic influence that has caused all this pain/suffering we go through.

What does "satanic influence" and "cults" have do to with this? Can you clarify?

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I do believe God is love, among other things. And there is really nothing anyone can say to make me believe any differently. So it isn't obvious, at least to us who believe it, that it isn't true (that God is love).

I guess you're not reading any of Penumbra's posts in this thread. I don't believe in any all-powerful and all-loving god and even I'm feeling a bit sad about it all. Lol.

tpw0307

What does "satanic influence" and "cults" have do to with this? Can you clarify?
Well, Satan/his demons have power and a huge influence on this world..it doesn't take much to see that. They can pretty much give power to whoever they want..which explains why the people near the 'top' are all usually greedy moral-less people..just how Satan wants them. Satan's influence isn't so subtle once you've been exposed to it..it's literally right in all our faces. It's so bad that I'd say probably 95% of 'Christian' churches are influenced by Satan in one way or another..and the true Gospel of Jesus Christ and God's gift to us/his love is completely lost on most people. Cults are just one of many tools Satan uses to deceive..he doesn't care how he gets you to hell, he just doesn't want you saved.

Awkward Fingers

Omphaloskeptic
Well, Satan/his demons have power and a huge influence on this world..it doesn't take much to see that. They can pretty much give power to whoever they want..which explains why the people near the 'top' are all usually greedy moral-less people..just how Satan wants them. Satan's influence isn't so subtle once you've been exposed to it..it's literally right in all our faces. It's so bad that I'd say probably 95% of 'Christian' churches are influenced by Satan in one way or another..and the true Gospel of Jesus Christ and God's gift to us/his love is completely lost on most people. Cults are just one of many tools Satan uses to deceive..he doesn't care how he gets you to hell, he just doesn't want you saved.

how do you know the bible isn't what Satan decided to use to fool mankind?
it's been passed by word of mouth, translated, re-translated, changed..
It seems, to me, that the sneakiest way he could possibly corrupt man would be by altering the holy books.
It's certainly not beyond his power, man changes it, why can't he?
Really, if you wanted one good foolproof way to deceive everyone away from god, wouldn't you do it by making a false doctrine into the most often read book by religion?