• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survey for those opposed to religion

chriscs

Hi, I’m doing a communications project on religion in which my goal is to collect peoples' opinions on religion. I’m interested in the perspectives of those opposed to religion at the moment. To contribute, please respond to the questions bellow.

What specifically about religion do you dislike?

Are you opposed to nontheistic religions as well? Why?

What qualities of religion do you appreciate? (ex. the sense of community, the giving, etc.)

Thanks for contributing

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Most of these have exceptions.

1. The expectancy of exception privilege

2. The reliance on ambiguous concepts (e.g. god, sin) to cause an unfounded sense of agreement

3. The lack of effective self-control mechanisms to avoid emotional abuse and manipulation

4. Some segments actually make a point of developing unhealthy attitudes and taking pride on it

I'm not opposed to even Abrahamic religion as a matter of principle; only to its exacerbations and abuses.

What qualities of religion do you appreciate? (ex. the sense of community, the giving, etc.)

The sense of community, the search for purpose and virtue

obsidian

Bilateral

Specifically dislike? I don't like dependence created by manipulation. Religions can create a sense of extreme need in some people. A balanced person can be religiously devout without being dependent (mentally, socially, spiritually) on the practice.

I don't like that most religions I've come across have a self-affixed figurehead that gains respect by [above mentioned] manipulation of information. Often a figure that was gains ascension through another source and deviates to another system where they get the desired following or rank.

I don't like extremism. Easily manipulated people follow passion (positive or negative) and do things outside of moral contructs that should have been self-affirmed.

I'm not opposed to any religion even though I dislike and/or avoid most. Religion is a healthy part of some people's existence.

I appreciate giving a sense of purpose and structure to people who can't find it elsewhere. Most people need guidelines to get through life. If people gain insight, education, compassion, and understanding through their religion, it's a wonderful thing. When they gain none of those things through religion, then you come upon extremism.

Last edited:

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Hi, I’m doing a communications project on religion in which my goal is to collect peoples' opinions on religion. I’m interested in the perspectives of those opposed to religion at the moment. To contribute, please respond to the questions bellow.

Thanks for contributing

Even though I'm a theist and am currently a seeker, I will answer your questions. I would like to say that I'm not opposed to religion, but, like everything else in life, there are some aspects that can be less than favorable.

1.) I guess the biggest negative that religion can have is that people could become too "dependent" on it's teachings and become dogmatic. That they take on every little teaching full force without analyzing whether they agree with everything and take it all word for word.

2.) I don't base on whether I like a religion or not because of it's stance on a creator God. Non-thesitic religions can be as helpful or harmful as theistic religions. It all depends on the people involved and how it's teachings are applied.

3.) Community, philosophy, culture, knowledge and a general sense of wonder and awe.