• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taoism in decline?

cfer

It's kind of my observation that Taoism is in decline and has been for a long time. It's not a very big religion at all and keeps getting smaller. Really there's only one or two places where it is still in practice.

Has anyone else noticed this? If so, why do you think that is?

Master Vigil

I wouldn't say so. While the religious aspect is in decline, taoism (as Lao Tzu wanted it) is not. Since it is a philosophy, and not a religion it is present in all of chinese culture. It is also present in japanese culture, and korean culture. It is also present now in american culture. The problem is you look for temples, or priests, etc... But you don't find many. But look at chinese martial artists, acupuncturists, chinese brush painters, and calligraphers, chi gung practicers, etc... Taoism is not meant to be a religion practiced in church like other religions. It is life, and is still very much alive.

cfer

So what would you say are the differences between a religion and a philosophy? I would think it hard to separate the two. Isn't religion a philosophy?

Master Vigil

Taoism as a philosophy does not entail worship, rituals, or anything of the like. Taoism as a philosophy just entails living.

sage

Taoism may or may not be as widely practiced as it was, say, 1000 years ago. However, the philosophy lives on.

The Tao is never ending. There never was a time when it did not exist, nor will there ever be a time when it does not exist. It is the essence of life.

Prima

I disagree that it is in decline.

I would say that it is not growing, but that it seems in 'decline' because it's not advertised. Its followers are not going out of their way to get noticed.

I would also say that many who are Taoist don't necessarily label themselves so. If you believe Jesus was Christ, you've pretty much slapped the Christian label on yourself. But as in MV's examples - a calligrapher is with the Tao when he/she works and therefore is to some degree the rest of the time, but may not necessarily label him- or herself a Taoist.

Also, many newer religions using Taoist-like ideas. Wicca, for example. And Mormons, I believe, think that the spirit of contention is to be avoided. Even that could be called Taoist.

The problem you see is that there is not a list of written laws saying who is and is not a Taoist.

Lloyd

So we have here some westerners discussing the nature of Taoism and going over some of it's finer points. It sounds pretty vibrant to me. It's just going through a period of pretty drastic transformation. So it's in the same boat as just about every other religion on Earlth.

Francine

It's kind of my observation that Taoism is in decline and has been for a long time. It's not a very big religion at all and keeps getting smaller. Really there's only one or two places where it is still in practice.

When berry bushes flourish it is impossible to walk through them. When they store their juices for winter and retreat the Way becomes clear again. Flourishing is not constant. Retreating is not constant. But flourishing and retreating are constant.

Somkid

Lao Tzu would be very happy to hear that and so am I. The Tao was never intended to be a religion however like many other writings it inspired religion.

PureX

Veteran Member
So what would you say are the differences between a religion and a philosophy? I would think it hard to separate the two. Isn't religion a philosophy?
Philosophy is the study of the way humankind views itself relative to it's own existence. Theology is a branch of philosophy that deals specifically with this view as it is related to the concept of deity. Religions are collections of objects, rituals, and doctrines that are designed to help people live according to a specific theological view.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Has anyone else noticed this? If so, why do you think that is?
I think that if that's so, that the Internet can certainly revive it.

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
Yes, religion is a type of philosophy, but there is a definite distinction. An analogy I feel that would be good to use here is one of math:

A square is always a rectangle, but a rectangle is not always a square.

If you replace square with religion and rectangle with philosophy, it is exactly the same.

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
I think Taoism might be actually growing now, I agree the religious aspect is quickly diminishing but philosophically it has spread, probably in due part because of the internet but on the local PBS station they have some guy who does Taoism lectures.

Francine

I think Taoism might be actually growing now, I agree the religious aspect is quickly diminishing but philosophically it has spread, probably in due part because of the internet but on the local PBS station they have some guy who does Taoism lectures.

Taoism lecture is almost an oxymoron, like rap music or military intelligence. If you were to seek instruction in Taoism from me, I would take you for a hike in the Columbia River Gorge, and there would be no words spoken.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
This is again a good example of how the human mind functions and creates greater barriers.
Mind will keep putting up unnecessary question and fetch similar answeres.
The point is whatever we ask should be directed towards becoming enligtened then only we become aware of the functioning of the mind and understand and find means of quietening it as that itself is the barrier.
Francine has responded well stating that flourishing and decline are seasonal and so depends on what season you are looking at?
Most imporatnt are we aware of our own being? which season it is going through? Is the being more comfortable with the surroundings than before, what should we do to be at ease with our environment? how to be natural or be ordinary? etc.
Love & rgds