• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tarot cards - origins?

nnmartin

I've just bought a seemingly good book on Tarot Cards. (The Minor Arcana)

I can't quite work out where they come from so I've bet on the New Age section. I know they have been around for a long time.

are there many different types?

the back cover seems to mention Paganism , Kabbalah (Judaism?) and I-Ching.

any help, great!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I-Ching? Really? >_<

For some reason, there is a lot of BS history about Tarot out there. I don't quite understand why, but it exists. Tarot is only about 500 years old and they were not originally used for divination at all; they were just playing cards. It wasn't until the occult revival in Europe around the 18th and 19th centuries that this happened, and during that time a lot of other influences - particularly the Kabbalah and other Judeo-Christian iconography - impacted how we use and interpret the decks today. But I have never seen I-Ching implicated in anything about the Tarot; if this is true it is a very modern addition onto the discipline. Many newer decks also focus more on Pagan symbolism, but the origin of Tarot itself is not Pagan.

nnmartin

it seems to be quite a modern book - called the Haindel Hermann Tarot - German.

main themes seem to be Pagan , I-Ching.

I'll try to check on the date.

The book is a spiritual, psychological interpretation of the cards.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Decks based on Haindl's art are a modern intepretation. Beautiful work.

transit-spread.jpg

There's a decent history of tarot cards on Wikipedia.

nnmartin

ok, thanks for the link

The pictures look good in colour, unfortunately my book only has black and white pictures.

here's a section from that link '.....The Haindl Tarot has non-traditional imagery and is highly recommended for an advanced Tarot reader, or for meditation. The author, Hermann Haindl, was inspired by Qabbalah, Runes, I Ching, and Native American influences for the deep and compelling artwork.'

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
here's a section from that link '.....The Haindl Tarot has non-traditional imagery and is highly recommended for an advanced Tarot reader, or for meditation. The author, Hermann Haindl, was inspired by Qabbalah, Runes, I Ching, and Native American influences for the deep and compelling artwork.'
Yup. The art is amazing.

nnmartin

I just need to find some real cards now and some willing volunteers to practice on!

Getting the cards out here is probably impossible though.

nnmartin

I guess that is the way forward.

e-bay, E-books, Laptop etc.. the internet has come on a long way over here in the last few years so probably time to start using it. I'm desperate for some Pagan books as well.

Antiochian

Rationalist
There are endless varieties of tarot cards. I have about four or five different decks. Some are easier for beginners to use than others. Tarot of the Witches, The Witches Tarot, The Rider-Waite, and a number of others are said to be good for beginners. I bought Sacred Circle Tarot, beautiful pictures, but many of the cards were different, and the meanings as well, making me sufficiently confused that I sold them.