• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Technology destroying the minds of our youth

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!
In this generation of school aged kids (8-18) technology some done wonderful things; for science, medicine, and communication. Information is all around them with a click and at the speed of thought. I have worked with school aged kids for the last seven years and have a 13 yr old. There are tons of great kids and I don’t mean to undermine them . I want to address the negative thing I am noticing. These are just my opinions, I don’t to offend anyone.

I am seeing more and more kids getting caught up in online activities. Video games, YouTube, social media, and virtual reality. I feel society is targeting them to be in the virtual world and less in the real world. Less and less kids have social or coping skills and you don’t see kids playing outside as much anymore.I have even heard many kids say that they want to be a “YouTuber” when they grow up. Don’t get me wrong the parents are to blame and they are the ones that need to be mindful and manage theirs kids usage.

As they emerge themselves deeper into that world, the more we see lack of work ethics and self discipline, disrespectfulness, and a heightened sense of entitlement. I saw a statistic in “Time”magazine that said only 18% of American school aged kids today can name the three branches of government. And I think something like 27% ( not exactly sure) of young men and women ages 17-24 could qualify physically or mentally for the armed forces.

I believe that part of the blame for the degradation of our society is the negative influences of technology on our youth. I watch them during recess and I see many of them kind of wondering; lost. I saw some kids recently, up to no good during they day, when clearly the should have been in school, and one of the kids’ shirt read, “Lost aggressive youth.” That pretty much sums it up. What are your thoughts? Friendly debate, please.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe that part of the blame for the degradation of our society is the negative influences of technology on our youth. I watch them during recess and I see many of them kind of wondering; lost. I saw some kids recently, up to no good during they day, when clearly the should have been in school, and one of the kids’ shirt read, “Lost aggressive youth.” That pretty much sums it up. What are your thoughts? Friendly debate, please.

Maybe it might be like that. Back in the 1920s and 30s, there were those who felt the technology of radio was ruining and corrupting the youth. Jazz was considered a bad influence on young people. The technology of cinema also was attacked as a corrupting influence.

Then, there was rock & roll, which was also viewed as a corrupting influence. Television then came on the scene, and America's youth were turning into "rebels without a cause."

But then again, considering the direction America took in the 1940s, maybe there really were corrupting influences which made us more aggressive, greedy, hedonistic - along with more widespread acceptance and approval of organized crime and other such corporate misdeeds. Our military grew from a regional power to a world-wide force spread out in multiple countries.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Apart from shortened attention spans, deteriorating social skills and increasing levels of loneliness and alienation, just the effect of sleep deprivation is huge, and underrated IMO.

Sleep deprivation has been a chronic and unrecognised problem since electric lights and television conquered night.

Humanity is now permanently deranged.

Best not to mention it. It makes people cranky knowing they are behaving like fruit loops.