• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ten Commandments Disclaimer

Pah

Uber all member
Athens Banner-Herald - registration required

Constitution allows worship of any god
Elmer Trumbull

Former Alabama Justice Roy Moore says his campaign to have copies of the Ten Commandments posted in courthouses is basically an effort to make the state acknowledge his God.

Certainly to read in court the statement, "Thou shalt have none other Gods but me," makes it seem it is against the law to honor any deity other than his. But that isn't true. You have a constitutional right to worship whatever gods you like, and the state is forbidden to make any law to the contrary.

If this rule is to be displayed in courts it should be accompanied by a disclaimer from the Attorney General stating that this rule, however laudable, is not a statute of the United States.

Elmer Trumbull

Published in the Athens Banner-Herald on Saturday, October 30, 2004

Do you think you could get this disclaimer with every displayed Ten Commandments? It could be like the health warning on every pack of cigarettes.

-pah-

Irenicas

high overlord of sod all
Well, sorry but this is a little bit of a tangent, but when I saw the thread title I couldn't help but think of the the bible disclaimer mentioned in Red Dwarf. If verified, this would be positioned at the front of the bible:
"To my darling Candy. All characters portrayed within this book are fictitous and any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental."

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Whoa, that's one of my hometown papers!

On topic, I don't think they have a place in courts, period.