• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanking God When You Should be Thanking Others

Jayk

I have had and seen plenty of experiences when a Christian is helped by someone and instead of thanking the person directly they thank god for sending them. Why is that? Why not just thank the person directly? Instead they choose to project their religious views onto a person they don't even know the religion of in an indirect and awkward "thank you". Hearing "thank you god for sending me this person" is not nearly as gratifying as hearing a simple "Thank you so much for doing this". So I wonder why Christians and other religions don't use an all encompassing thank you in order to show their appreciation in a way everyone will understand instead of using a thank you specified towards those of their own religion. I know when you look at the big picture of things hearing "thank you." is not all that important but this has irked me for some time.

linwood

That does get irritating.

I made a staff meal awhile back for my co-workers (Big greasy cheeseburgers) and one guy grabbed a plate and said "Thank Jesus for this burger!"

I swear he said it just like that.

I told him....

"God had nothing to do with that burger. Do you see Christ back here in a ******* apron anywhere?"

I thought the kitchen crew was going to cry they were laughing so hard.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends Jayk and linwood,

Personally would surely Thank the person involved directly knowing very well that one delivering is also another form of the same energy which is labelled *god*.
Guess it is just being conscious or unconscious of our doings or of being HERE-NOW.

Love & rgds

DadBurnett

Instigator
IMHO, the failure to express gratitude fully is a sign of spiritual imaturity. By all means you openly honor the gift and the giver and in your personal communication (prayers, etc) you honor the gift - the experience of having the giver in your life.

C_U_N_Hell

Super space ninja of doom
I never got why the religious thank god and not doctors or medical science when they receive life-saving treatment. Or people that thank local churches but forget about state and federal aid during disaster relief. The list goes on and on. One remedy for me is when I help someone out and they thank god but not me, I add a condecending ''you're welcome.''

Beaudreaux

Many devout Christians, who believe that God intervenes in the affairs of man, must go through a sad, daily excersise of looking at every moment in their lives searching for some sign that God really is touching the world. As such they are delighted to take any good thing that happens to them and attribute it to God. This even includes the good things that human beings do for them. As you say, they will say things like "God brought you into my life" or "God worked through you" or "your kindness to me is a gift from God." These statement completely ingnore the philosophical problems of how God can "work through" these people or "bring them into" other's lives without abrigating their free will. No matter. It is all part of trying to substantiate the claim that God exists.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't see a problem in thanking both the person and God. If you find it irritating, just ignore it. That is what I do. :D