• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 116th Congress Members-Elect

youknowme

Whatever you want me to be.
2473.jpg

I guess this might be old news, but still something that we should take notice of.

Pictures of the newly elected members of the House of Representatives have highlighted a stark difference between the diversity of incoming Democrats and incoming Republicans.

The 2018 midterm elections helped Democrats elect a diverse class of incoming members but the losses suffered by Republicans made their House caucus even more white and male.

The proportion of white men within the Democratic caucus is set to drop from 41% to 38% next year, while the same percentage is set to rise among Republicans from 86% to 90%.

Photo of new House members shows big gap in diversity between parties

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
2473.jpg

I guess this might be old news, but still something that we should take notice of.

Photo of new House members shows big gap in diversity between parties

One thing that I noticed first off is that the Republicans have a guy with an eyepatch. Eyepatches are cool. But then they also have a guy with a bow tie, which is not cool.

Seriously, though, I think this is a consequence of overemphasizing identity politics. Instead of voting for principles, people feel compelled to vote on the basis of identity. Apparently, it doesn't matter who the person is, what they believe in, or even whether they're qualified or ethical - just as long as they're the right race, ethnicity, and gender.

youknowme

One thing that I noticed first off is that the Republicans have a guy with an eyepatch. Eyepatches are cool. But then they also have a guy with a bow tie, which is not cool.

Seriously, though, I think this is a consequence of overemphasizing identity politics. Instead of voting for principles, people feel compelled to vote on the basis of identity. Apparently, it doesn't matter who the person is, what they believe in, or even whether they're qualified or ethical - just as long as they're the right race, ethnicity, and gender.

If we thought about in a probabilistic sense then just by unbiased chance, elected members should look closer to what the 116th Democratic members-elect are like.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I wonder how many are actually qualified in terms of capability, education, and intellect to properly and correctly perform the duties of their office?

It would be interesting. This would go for both Republicans and Democrats.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
If republicans would start electing non-white, non- male, gender fluid representatives regardless of the policies they support then we would be well on our way to be a non-racist, non- sexist, non- sexual identity discriminatory society.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If we thought about in a probabilistic sense then just by unbiased chance, elected members should look closer to what the 116th Democratic members-elect are like.

Yes, although it doesn't really matter what they look like. It's their political ideals and values - as well as their competence and commitment to ethics. Too many people tend to vote for image and style over substance and then wonder why nothing ever really changes.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I wonder how many are actually qualified in terms of capability, education, and intellect to properly and correctly perform the duties of their office?

It would be interesting. This would go for both Republicans and Democrats.

I tend to think of politicians in the same way one might think of news anchors. They just read whatever is put in front of them, while someone else behind the scenes does the actual writing and setting the agenda and programming. The politicians we see are merely front men and front women for political machines. They don't have to be qualified; they just have to look good and present a certain image to the public.

But along the same lines, they're concurrently trying to present a reverse image about the other side in an effort to make them look bad. As a result, both sides end up looking bad.

youknowme

Yes, although it doesn't really matter what they look like. It's their political ideals and values - as well as their competence and commitment to ethics. Too many people tend to vote for image and style over substance and then wonder why nothing ever really changes.

That is my the point, if race and gender were not a factor then you'd get something closer to the 116th Democratic members-elect.

youknowme

Of course I fully expect conservatives to continue and ignore this problem, just like they ignore sexual assault, gun violence and climate change.