• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 11th Minute of the 11th hour November the 11th

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
On the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month in 1918 the guns of Europe fell silent. After four years of the most bitter and devastating fighting, The Great War was finally over. The Armistice was signed at 5am in a railway carriage in the Forest of Compiegne, France on November 11, 1918. Six hours later, at 11am, the war ended.

The first Remembrance Day was conducted in 1919 throughout Britain and the Commonwealth. Originally called Armistice Day, it commemorated the end of hostilities the previous year. It came to symbolise the end of the war and provide an opportunity to remember those who had died.

After the end of the Second World War in 1945 Armistice Day became Remembrance Day to include all those who had fallen in the two World Wars and later conflicts.

In a letter published in the London Evening News on 8 May 1919, an Australian journalist, Edward George Honey, proposed a respectful silence to remember those who had given their lives in the First World War. This was brought to the attention of King George V and on 7 November 1919, the King issued a proclamation which called for a two minute silence:

All locomotion should cease, so that, in perfect stillness, the thoughts of everyone may be concentrated on reverent remembrance of the glorious dead

The second Sunday of November is Remembrance Sunday. At 11am a two minute silence is observed at war memorials, cenotaphs, religious services and shopping centres throughout the country. The Royal Family, along with leading politicians and religious leaders gather at The Cenotaph in Whitehall, London for a service and all branches of the civilian and military services are represented in ceremonies throughout Britain and the Commonwealth.

OH GOD OUR HELP IN AGES PAST

O God, our help in ages past

Our hope for years to come​
Our shelter from the stormy blast​
And our eternal home.​
Under the shadow of thy throne​
Thy saints have dwelt secure​
Sufficient is thine arm alone​
And our defence is sure.​
Before the hills in order stood​
Or earth received her frame​
From everlasting thou art God​
To endless years the same.​
A thousand ages in thy sight​
Are like an evening gone​
Short as the watch that ends the night​
Before the rising sun.​
Time is like an ever-rolling stream​
Bears all its sons away​
They fly forgotten, as a dream​
Dies at the opening day. O God our help in ages past​
Our hope for years to come​
Be thou our guard while troubles last​
And our eternal home. :162:​

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I'm thoroughly ashamed that my schools (all of them... elementary, middle, high) never really taught us anything about World War I. I think I'll spend today learning about it.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i wear a red popey to remember those who fought for peace, but i cover half of it with a white poppey to show my upmost support for peace

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Jensa said:
I'm thoroughly ashamed that my schools (all of them... elementary, middle, high) never really taught us anything about World War I. I think I'll spend today learning about it.
the battle of the somme

the treaty of versailles

to name just a few to get you started - you will see how badly germany was treated by france, england and america - the three "great" nations :sarcastic

NoName

Yep. The treaty of Versailles was meant to ensure peace. It started WWII. (i'm writing a report on it for me history class. :D)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
NoName said:
Yep. The treaty of Versailles was meant to ensure peace. It started WWII. (i'm writing a report on it for me history class. :D)
It did not start it, that was down to Hitlers antics.
But it made it inevitable.

Terry___________________________
Blessed are the pure of heart, they shall behold their God.

NoName

Terrywoodenpic said:
It did not start it, that was down to Hitlers antics.
But it made it inevitable.

Terry___________________________
Blessed are the pure of heart, they shall behold their God.
No, you're right. It didn't start it. But that's the one factor that if it had been written better, the war wouldn't have started. In my logic class we learn about "essence" - what is the one characteristic of something that, if removed, causes that something to be a different thing entirely. In that regard, the Treaty of Versailles was the "essence" of WWII.

The Black Whirlwind

to commemorate, I'll be riding my bike through the streets, Singing the Star Spangled Banner and Gorey Glorey (A paratrooper song), which i usually do anyway, but this time it has a purpose.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Jensa said:
Don't be ashamed; there is so much to teach...................

WWI was a dreadful war. Soldiers died by the thousands.
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWW.htm
is the site from where I got these statistics and info, and seems as good a place to get some background Knowledge.

Countries
Allied Powers

Russia
France
British Empire
Italy
United States
Japan
Romania
Serbia
Belgium
Greece
Portugal
Montenegro

Central Powers
Germany
Austria-Hungary
Turkey
Bulgaria

Total Mobilized 65,038,810
Killed & Died 8,538,315
Wounded 21,219,452
Prisoners & Missing 7,750,919
Total Casualties 37,508,686
Casualties % of Mobilized 57.6

As an asside, I have a post card dated 1916, (with a postmark of a Russian Prisoner of War camp - with the sensor's initials) that my Grandfather received in the camp, from my Father's school teacher, to update my grandfather on Dad's progress at school.

I also have a set of chess pieces, each one carved using a bit of broken knife blade, by my Grandfather, whilst in the Camp.

One 'side' is represented as the Belgian army (painted with dyes, anf therefore very 'pale'), whilst the other side represents the German army (My granfather even managed to sind brass nails ?(I am guessing) which he fashioned into the srikes that adorned the top of the German soldiers' helmets). That is one of my very prized possessions.

As tghose of you who know mw reasonably well will be aware, I am a rather emotional person; I make no excuse; that is how I am.

As I write this, a tear or two welling up, I feel my chest filling with emotion - most of it pride, at the thought of both my Grandparents, and both my parents, who all played a role in both World Wars (With an exception, that my Mother was born at the strat of WWI.

Lest no one forget.
102742702[1].jpg

We wear poppies in remembrance of those who died and were wounded; they used to be made by invalided soldiers(I am not sure if they still are), and are sold with the benefits being made available to veterans of both wars, and their widows.:162:

The Black Whirlwind

Both my grandads were stationed in Japan, the one on my mom's side in the phillipines i think, he got a purple heart, and my other grandpa, in the mainland, after the war ended (i believe). My dad was in Nam, and, ironically, my mom was protesting Nam.

Kramer

Truly one of the most bloody wars ever fought. I watched a documentary on the pacific side of the war the other day, it was truly horrendous. I believe it was on the History Channel, or the Discovery.