• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The $44,000,000+ answer

Skwim

Veteran Member
As of date, more than 44 million dollars have been spent trying to retrieve the black box from the Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.

As interesting as it may be to find the cause of the flight's disappearance, I don't see any justification for spending this huge amount of money.

I see four possible causes for the plane's disappearance:
1) The pilot(s) purposely went off course and crashed the plane.
2) The plane malfunctioned and went off course.
3) Someone hijacked the plane.
4) Some outside entity purposely forced the plane off course.

However, what would be gained knowing
1) The pilot(s) purposely went off course and crashed the plane. OR
2) The plane malfunctioned and went off course. OR
3) Someone hijacked the plane. OR
4) Some outside entity purposely forced the plane off course.​
that can justify spending $44,000,000 on the answer?

Last edited:

gzusfrk

Christian
As of date, more than 44 million dollars have been spent trying to retrieve the black box from the Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.

As interesting as it may be to find the cause of the flight's disappearance, I don't see any justification for spending this huge amount of money.

I see three possible causes for the plane's disappearance:

I think its more for the people than the plane,however that plane is worth about 300 million dollars, it probably has north korea airlines painted on it by now.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I think its more for the people than the plane,however that plane is worth about 300 million dollars, it probably has north korea airlines painted on it by now.
The "people" need the black box found? $44,000,000 worth of need? As I've said, I don't see it.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member

I see three possible causes for the plane's disappearance:

You forgot a key component the peace of mind of the familes, having bodies to burry and shutting up the conspiracy nuts. I was thinking the same thing the other day though.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It's certainly an enormous waste of money, time, and resources. However, to be fair, there are much bigger and more ravenous wastes of money, time, and resources happening all the time.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Iti oj said:
You forgot a key component the peace of mind of the familes, having bodies to burry and shutting up the conspiracy nuts. I was thinking the same thing the other day though.
From what I understand there will be no recovery of any bodies. Retrieving the black box is the only goal of the search.

So is a funeral, if you look at it from the point of the deceased. From the point of the living, however ... they may see things differently.
So, just what point of view of the living do you think rests on the retrieval of the black box?

technomage

Finding my own way
So, just what point of view of the living do you think rests on the retrieval of the black box?
From what I've heard based on interviews of family members, they want to know what happened.

Additionally, while the law may be different in Malaysia, US law requires making every reasonable effort to determine the cause of an aviation accident. Recovery of the black boxes is an important part of the process.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So is a funeral, if you look at it from the point of the deceased. From the point of the living, however ... they may see things differently.
Sumthin tells me that those who want the spendy search aren't the ones footing the bill.

Skwim

Veteran Member
From what I've heard based on interviews of family members, they want to know what happened.

Additionally, while the law may be different in Malaysia, US law requires making every reasonable effort to determine the cause of an aviation accident. Recovery of the black boxes is an important part of the process.
"Reasonable effort" being the qualifying term here.

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
What if it was terrorists? I for one would like to know just in case I am ever in Malaysia and need to fly to Papua New Guinea and see someone in a turban and haven't had enough to drink so I can turn around and take the next plane.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
What if it was terrorists? I for one would like to know just in case I am ever in Malaysia and need to fly to Papua New Guinea and see someone in a turban and haven't had enough to drink so I can turn around and take the next plane.

The great thing about profiling based on headgear is that it can be practiced anytime, anywhere.

freethinker44

Thank goodness every crazy religion has it's own weird hat.

Emporer Palpatine has the craziest of all the crazies.

satanic_pope.jpg