• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The active trolls

TransmutingSoul

May God's Will be Done
Premium Member
I see RF has active trolls, in the guises of balanced posters.

It could be they do not think they are and as such it could be applicable to my own self.

What says you?

No names allowed.

Regards Tony

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Does this mean there are "inactive trolls" waiting to be activated?

That's a little spooky. :p

I'm just kidding. I actually haven't noticed any lately. But I stay out of politics mostly.

Edit to add:

Is the abitility to "see trolls" Tay-dar?

TransmutingSoul

May God's Will be Done
Premium Member
Does this mean there are "inactive trolls" waiting to be activated?

That's a little spooky. :p

I'm just kidding. I actually haven't noticed any lately. But I stay out of politics mostly.

I see it a lot. My idea is that when one asks a question and gets an answer that shows that another sees differently, or have altered their view slightly, that to bring the same accusation back into other threads, continuously, is really trolling or prolteszing ones own stance.

Thus who stands accused...I must see this in my own self.

Regards Tony

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

I can imagine that a religious person might see a skeptic as a troll. To me it gets down to intentions and transparency. I don't consider myself to be a troll because I'm quite open about my negative opinion of religion. But others might see my criticisms as "trolling".

So how do you define trolling?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Used to think don't feed the trolls, and then now realized we're all trolls in some way; it is part of human nature to see errors, and point them out.
[GALLERY=media, 7673][/GALLERY]
Everyone of us sees dumb people in some way, as we all have different forms of intelligence - thus we need to recognize the beauty in each other, rather than seeing each other as trolls for having an opinion.[GALLERY=media, 8732][/GALLERY]
:heartarrow: Part of the problem is trolls need unconditionally loving too! :heartribbon:

In my opinion. :innocent:

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Well, to post any idea or observation for comment could be construed as "trolling", I suppose. I assume we all bother to share these with others for the purpose of gaining their reactions, views, assent, etc.,. So it would be hard for me to point to someone specifically and accuse them of "trolling" apart from or beyond what we are all doing, here. After all, I can't really know that's going on in the minds of other posters beyond what is apparent to me in what they've written. So I don't really concern myself with the idea, much. I respond to whatever posts inspire me to, and I ignore those that don't. I take you all at your word because that's all I have to go on, here, and all I'm really interested in, anyway.

exchemist

Veteran Member

It could be they do not think they are and as such it could be applicable to my own self.

What says you?

No names allowed.

Regards Tony
Better start by attempting a definition of a troll, I should think.

My working definition would be someone who posts for the purpose of stirring up discord, rather than to express ideas in good faith. Is this the behaviour you are thinking of?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Used to think don't feed the trolls, and then now realized we're all trolls in some way; it is part of human nature to see errors, and point them out.

Everyone of us sees dumb people in some way, as we all have different forms of intelligence - thus we need to recognize the beauty in each other, rather than seeing each other as trolls for having an opinion
:heartarrow: Part of the problem is trolls need unconditionally loving too! :heartribbon:

In my opinion. :innocent:
Seeing what one thinks to be errors and pointing them out is not trolling, in my view. If you adopt a definition like that it becomes impossible to have a disagreement without being accused of trolling.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I see it a lot. My idea is that when one asks a question and gets an answer that shows that another sees differently, or have altered their view slightly, that to bring the same accusation back into other threads, continuously, is really trolling or prolteszing ones own stance.

Thus who stands accused...I must see this in my own self.

Regards Tony
I've noticed we're not in the same conversations lately....

Maybe that's it.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

My working definition would be someone who posts for the purpose of stirring up discord, rather than to express ideas in good faith. Is this the behaviour you are thinking of?

Not sure that I agree with that definition. Some people might post something provocative to stir things up, but their intentions could still be honorable. To me, the key factor would be insincerity. People who do it just as a prank or just to have fun, without actually expressing their true beliefs - those are trolls, in my book.

If someone actually believes what they're saying, even if they're stirring up discord, I don't think they would be trolls. They might be insane, but not trolls. Trolls are always sane.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We who live south of (ie, under) the Mackinac Bridge are all trolls.
(That's my excuse, & I'm stick'n with it.)

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there

My working definition would be someone who posts for the purpose of stirring up discord, rather than to express ideas in good faith.

Some Christians would say division (discord) is good (Luke 12:51-53).

Forums thrive on (good, healthy) division, that's what drives conversations. It's boring if everyone agrees! An over-moderated forum that knocks down dissenting opinion as "trolling" will decline. I've learned a lot from people who came into a discussion with a paradigm-shattering idea that left some scrambling but everyone energized.

Note I said good, healthy division. There's definitely bad, unhealthy division out there too.