• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Atheist Perk

Orias

Left Hand Path
Not all Atheists are honest with themselves about their Atheism, same goes with Christianity or any other belief.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No prohibition against:
- No prohibition against consuming alcohol, pork products, beef, shellfish, or meat in general
- No prohibition against deviant sex
- No dogma to remember
- No sermons to listen to
- No tithing
- No contradictions with science to reconcile
- It's a natural state....we're all born atheists. To be anything else requires conversion.

Orias

Left Hand Path
No prohibition against:
- No prohibition against consuming alcohol, pork products, beef, shellfish, or meat in general
- No prohibition against deviant sex
- No dogma to remember
- No sermons to listen to
- No tithing
- No contradictions with science to reconcile
- It's a natural state....we're all born atheists. To be anything else requires conversion.

Some strong points!

But the label "atheist" requires conception and acceptance, which is conversion to a new mind set/attitude.

No dogma to remember, haha, then the dogma is set into an unreflective position of denial of arrogance.

And there isn't much contradiction towards science with a majority of other beliefs, just those scientists that all agree on something but haven't proven it. So I wouldn't say directly contradicting science, but contradicting what scientists generally agree on.

I like everything else though ;)

waitasec

Veteran Member
great thread.

no disclaimers theistically speaking.
no apologies, what you see is what you get
no if's, why's or but's about it.
:D

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No fears of divine displeasure or guesswork about proper doctrine. No wagering.
Just live your life. Enjoy the roses, and what will be, will be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not all Atheists are honest with themselves about their Atheism, same goes with Christianity or any other belief.

Atheism, in one form, the form I had in mind, is a lack of belief. There is little to be dishonest to oneself about. A person says, 'I don't see any kind of credible evidence for God, so I don't think God is real'. There is much less room here for dishonesty.

On the other hand, Christians often say, 'I have my doubts - but I have faith'. This in itself, I think, qualifies as a kind of dishonesty with oneself.

But your right, there are exceptions. When I was writing that post I was thinking to cover the exceptions, because I suspected that someone would make that point lol. But it would be a pain in the *** to think that I have to cover all the exceptions every time I want to say something.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Atheism, in one form, the form I had in mind, is a lack of belief. There is little to be dishonest to oneself about. A person says, 'I don't see any kind of credible evidence for God, so I don't think God is real'. There is much less room here for dishonesty.

On the other hand, Christians often say, 'I have my doubts - but I have faith'. This in itself, I think, qualifies as a kind of dishonesty with oneself.

But your right, there are exceptions. When I was writing that post I was thinking to cover the exceptions, because I suspected that someone would make that point lol. But it would be a pain in the *** to think that I have to cover all the exceptions every time I want to say something.

I understand what you mean and I agree with you.

Its just that if One is going to debate with me they better have their notebook handy ;)

As an example, I once considered myself an atheist for some period of time, though I never really felt "fulfilled" I guess, and I broadened my horizon.

Atheism doesn't necessarily teach the Self to restrain or discipline the self in matters of emotional and mental gratification (ego), which can mislead a lot of people into their own sense of hypocritical dogma.

Dishonesty, self deceit, hypocrisy, these are all perks that come along with taking on a label that isn't directly specific to the beliefs of a person.

If an atheist takes on the philosophical position as a Buddhist, then they're representation of atheism becomes false under the single premise that atheism is a lack of belief, which means you cannot be atheistic about buddhism if you believe that atheism is not a belief.

The same argument can be considered when observing the topic of "spiritual scientists", which I have no problem with, just the people that think any sort of spiritual verification is false under the study of science. Since science, religion and art are all really branches of the same tree.

E. Nato Difficile

I particularly like being lectured by morons about what atheism truly is. It seems anyone who isn't an atheist is an expert when it comes to atheism.

-Nato

Benhamine

Learning Member
I understand what you mean and I agree with you.

Its just that if One is going to debate with me they better have their notebook handy ;)

As an example, I once considered myself an atheist for some period of time, though I never really felt "fulfilled" I guess, and I broadened my horizon.

Atheism doesn't necessarily teach the Self to restrain or discipline the self in matters of emotional and mental gratification (ego), which can mislead a lot of people into their own sense of hypocritical dogma.

Dishonesty, self deceit, hypocrisy, these are all perks that come along with taking on a label that isn't directly specific to the beliefs of a person.

If an atheist takes on the philosophical position as a Buddhist, then they're representation of atheism becomes false under the single premise that atheism is a lack of belief, which means you cannot be atheistic about buddhism if you believe that atheism is not a belief.

The same argument can be considered when observing the topic of "spiritual scientists", which I have no problem with, just the people that think any sort of spiritual verification is false under the study of science. Since science, religion and art are all really branches of the same tree.

Atheism doesn't teach anything. It's merely a label for people who don't believe there's a god. Any moral choices then come from other sources, not their disbelief in a god. I'm an atheist and I do volunteer work, donate to charities, and have a good relationship with my friends and family. I don't do these things because I don't believe in a god, I do them because they're right. I don't turn to doctrine but my fellow man. As for atheism and Buddhism I don't really see where you're coming from since the Buddha even recommended not relying on a belief in gods, and by nature most Buddhists are also atheists. Atheism is a lack in belief of a god not any other philosophical concepts.

-Benhamine

Edit: In regards to calling oneself an atheist leading to dishonesty, self deceit, and hypocrisy I'm not saying it doesn't happen but since it's just one concept, God, it's much easier to dodge these vices than a label that regards more than one topic such as any religious title.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
You all know of Atheism, so what are the perks?

Probably one of the most truest forms of reality a person can live.

We are by nature primitive beings, we are violent and very imaginitive. Atheist see the world and people for what it is. There are no deities or religions to wage war for, on the other side of the coin we are not anti establishment either. We have no beliefs to protect or project.

Generally speaking, atheist are a more educated group and most likely never labeled sheeple.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie

Atheism is a lack of belief in a god or gods. Not simply a "lack of belief" So yes, it is entirely possible to be both an atheist and a Buddhist.

Since science, religion and art are all really branches of the same tree.

How so?

waitasec

Veteran Member

could this be because you were never an atheist to begin with?
see i thought i was one too but non theist seems to be fulfilling what i am, until something penetrates my current understanding and then i go with that.

as i have grown older i find that if i change my mind about something and gain a new and different POV i am growing and what other choice do i have than to grow and learn?

edit:
i just want to clarify
that i am in no way suggesting atheism isn't fulfilling

Last edited: