• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ballet

Pussyfoot Mouse

Super Mom
I went to the ballet on Saturday to see "Le Syphlide". It was absolutely wonderful! I've only ever been to the ballet once before to see "The Nutcracker", but that was when I was about twelve years old. I knew I had a love for the ballet but didn't realize just how much I'd been missing. I would recommend seeing this one imparticular, it was beautiful!

Has anyone else been to see any ballet's? If so, which one(s). I would love your imput!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I remember being taken to see one when I was eleven, and unfortunately was bored by it (My loss) - I am pretty sure it was Giselle; my parents were both great fans of the ballet. I love the music, but the dancing does nothing for me (sorry):eek:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
michel said:
I remember being taken to see one when I was eleven, and unfortunately was bored by it (My loss) - I am pretty sure it was Giselle; my parents were both great fans of the ballet. I love the music, but the dancing does nothing for me (sorry)
You were only eleven! Take your wife to see Swan Lake.

Solon

Ballet Nonsense; go see a good opera, like Carmen, or Lasksmi. And Lucia de Lammermoor, the scene where Lucy goes mad, haunting wonderful aria, and she threws herself over the castle walls,

Greetz

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Up until I was about 12 (when my ballet teacher left town and my mother refused to drive an hour to the nearest classes), I wanted to be a Prima Ballerina. :eek: Although I have not actually seen a production in person since I stopped taking classes (i.e. around age 12), and they were only very small snippets at that (coming from a relatively small country town, they couldn't afford to go the whole hog), I still retain the love I had for it as a kid. Has anyone seen the movie 'Billy Elliot'? That moment at the end where Billy's father sees his son leap out onto the stage, and he just gasps with pure emotion - that's me and ballet.

Michel, I agree with Deut - go see Swan Lake. It's my favourite.

Pussyfoot Mouse

Super Mom
I was invited to see Swan Lake the weekend before, but unfortunately I was unable to attend.
The sad thing is that I love the ballet so much but live in a home full of boys who have absolutely no interest whatsoever of seeing a ballet (although my seven year old loves to watch the "Barbie" ballets with me, but don't tell !):D I just wish they would give it a chance.

As for the opera Solon, I would love to see one but again....household full of men!!! And I have no friends who are in the least bit interested in going to the opera. {{{sigh}}}:confused:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Pussyfoot Mouse said:
I was invited to see Swan Lake the weekend before, but unfortunately I was unable to attend.
The sad thing is that I love the ballet so much but live in a home full of boys who have absolutely no interest whatsoever of seeing a ballet (although my seven year old loves to watch the "Barbie" ballets with me, but don't tell !):D I just wish they would give it a chance.

As for the opera Solon, I would love to see one but again....household full of men!!! And I have no friends who are in the least bit interested in going to the opera. {{{sigh}}}:confused:
If you look around an audience for Opera Ballet or classical music. You will find there are at leat as many men as women, so you should tell your "men" to take it in turns to go with you.

You can listen to classic al music on your cmputer live while you are on the forum.

http://www.classicfm.com/index.cfm?nodeId=35&sw=1024
For classical music all day and night.

Terry____________________________---
Blessed are the gentle, they shall inherit the land

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Solon said:
Ballet Nonsense; go see a good opera, like Carmen, or Lasksmi. And Lucia de Lammermoor, the scene where Lucy goes mad, haunting wonderful aria, and she threws herself over the castle walls,

Greetz
Ah, Opera, now that's a different kettle of fish; Verdi's Nabucco for one, and tyes, Carmen, Rossini's "The Barber of Seville", but that's cheating. I probably like them because i love singing Opera.:D

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I enjoy opera - it's great folk-entertainment. But comparing opera with ballet seems a bit like comparing The (brilliantly crafted) Little Mermaid with French Impressionism. I will admit, however, that if forced, I would rather listen to michel sing Rigoletto than watch him dance Giselle. (Anyone for a rousing chorus of It's Howdy Doody Time?)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Deut. 10:19 said:
I enjoy opera - it's great folk-entertainment. But comparing opera with ballet seems a bit like comparing The (brilliantly crafted) Little Mermaid with French Impressionism. I will admit, however, that if forced, I would rather listen to michel sing Rigoletto than watch him dance Giselle. (Anyone for a rousing chorus of It's Howdy Doody Time?)
The idea of my dancing Giselle..........well, put it this way, I'd rather not try to picture it, and I think you ought not to as well,.........

Pussyfoot Mouse

Super Mom
Terrywoodenpic said:
If you look around an audience for Opera Ballet or classical music. You will find there are at leat as many men as women, so you should tell your "men" to take it in turns to go with you.

You can listen to classic al music on your cmputer live while you are on the forum.

http://www.classicfm.com/index.cfm?nodeId=35&sw=1024
For classical music all day and night.

Terry____________________________---
Blessed are the gentle, they shall inherit the land
I love classical music, thank you! When I was pregnant with my first son, my husband bought me a wonderful CD of mixed classicals to listen to.

Dance Michel Dance! :jiggy:

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Deut. 10:19 said:
I will admit, however, that if forced, I would rather listen to michel sing Rigoletto than watch him dance Giselle.
Ah, c'mon! It'd be worth it just for the comedic value. ;) Besides, his missus might enjoy seeing him in tights...

Pussyfoot Mouse

Super Mom
Bastet said:
Ah, c'mon! It'd be worth it just for the comedic value. ;) Besides, his missus might enjoy seeing him in tights...
Michel in tights! Hmmm, now there's a sight worth seeing. "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night". :woohoo: