• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best religion.

Skwim

Veteran Member
If someone were to ask you why they should follow your chosen religion (or lack of), what would you tell them?
Mine, because it makes the most sense. What's better than an admission of "I... just... don't... know," rather than some sorry speculation-cum-assertion of fact that everyone else spouts off about? Come over to the dark side of "maybes," "could bes," and "Don't think sos." You won't be disappointed,............... and we serve free coffee and donuts.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If someone were to ask you why they should follow your chosen religion (or lack of), what would you tell them?

Because you want to, and because it is in keeping with who and what you are. Right? That's the only thing that matters. If you don't want to follow this religion, and it isn't in keeping with who and what you are, you shouldn't be doing it. Find something else.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Well, I would explain why I believe Advaita is the highest spiritual school. And then I would not expect them to take my word for it, so I would let them ask questions and encourage them to look into it themselves.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I'd really want to ask how they define reality. Once they tell me their "language" I can use their language to tell them about my reality. I won't tell them what they must believe, I'd just say this is what I believe makes sense. Then I'll explain below.

:leafwind:

I'd say because it let's be be in touch with my origins both physical and spiritual (however they interpret the word)....if you are looking for who you are today, try to find who you were in the past? (Your connection; your family) They make you, you.

I'd say because the Earth literally takes care of you in all aspects of the word. Since the Earth is who gave birth to your first origin (water), keeps you living by different means (from food to energy from the sun), and doesn't leave you hanging when you pass (turn to dust back to the Earth), why not say thank you.

Corthos

Great Old One
Cool thread. I'm gonna enjoy reading people's responses. =) As for myself?... Hmmm... I guess I would just be honest and say that I've been questioning my own faith lately, so they should just continue to keep asking questions. I'm not even sure there is a "best" answer.... Only an ideal that falls in line most with or speaks to your own personal beliefs. =)

buddhist

As you know, I'd say it's because the Buddha encouraged personal knowledge, not blind faith in another's knowledge (alleged holy texts, traditions, authority figures, etc.)

My unshakeable faith in the Buddha and his teachings come from direct knowledge and understanding by personally verifying his teachings; it's not faith in him as if he was a savior either, but simply as the Teacher who pointed out the correct Path.

Last edited:

arthra

Baha'i

I would suggest they seek the truth for themselves and not accept something simply on authority...

There is also a principle of the independent investigation of truth:

"...the independent investigation of truth; for blind imitation of the past will stunt the mind. But once every soul inquireth into truth, society will be freed from the darkness of continually repeating the past."

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I would tell them they needs find their own path.
If said path aligns with mine, so be it.
If said path doe snot align with mine, so be it.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist

Because your personality can belong to you, and no one here is going to make you think one way about any given subject.
You also don't have to follow a lack of belief, that's the best part.

Laika

Premium Member

I'd tell them to follow their heart and the evidence and see where they end up. I don't need to tell them whether I am right or not if they reach the same conclusions independently. two heads are better than one. if we reach different conclusions, it seems like we are going to learn alot from each other.