• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible as the Word of Man

Deut 13:1

I have a problem with one of the contentions in the synopsis from the link you provided.

Meanwhile, faced with the chaos of modern life, returnees run back to Judaism with a blind and desperate faith and are quickly absorbed by outreach organizations that - in return for money - offer compelling evidence that the Jews are, indeed, the Lord's "chosen people," and that those who adhere to this righteous path will never have to ask themselves another difficult question again."
Organizations such as Chabad and several others do not charge people for answers. There are programs set up for people wishing to do Baalei Teshuva. They're free. If people want to go to Yeshiva but can't afford it, they are not always charged but rather donate the money they do have toward it. The Yeshiva in Mooristown, NJ is an example that I know of.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I agree wholeheartedly. In fact, I believe that it is precisely this liberation that sets the scriptures apart from other writings.

Khale

By releasing the Torah from its obligation to serve as a historical record we liberate it, and ourselves, to generate an unending bounty of narratives through which to create meaning.

- from Nothing Sacred - the Truth About Judaism

I cannot agree with this entirely. It is true that the Torah is not entirely historical record and as should not be viewed as such. However, it is also true that there are pieces that are historically accurate. There are even pieces that mix historical accuracy with myth.

If you treat the entire set of writings as myth and ignore their historical relevance. There is a good chance you will miss the point that the scriptures are trying to make. A single bit of information like this can change the entire meaning of a story.