• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Black Mass?

ZooGirl02

Hey everyone. I have heard a lot about Satanists and the Black Mass which supposedly a parody or mocking of the Catholic Mass. I am just curious, do Black Masses actually exist in the religion of Satanism or are they just a myth?

fnord

Sorcerer
They exist if Satanists gather together and perform one. On 6-6-06, for example, Church of Satan folks gathered together and [youtube]fcE9JZZgmc8[/youtube]
performed one.

Satanism is largely an individual path and group workings, particularly on such a scale as to be called a mass, are probably very rare occurrences and would be done for show and/or entertainment.

Most Satanic ritual is performed alone as each Satanist follows an individual path.

Erebus

Hey everyone. I have heard a lot about Satanists and the Black Mass which supposedly a parody or mocking of the Catholic Mass. I am just curious, do Black Masses actually exist in the religion of Satanism or are they just a myth?

Short answer: yes they exist

It's worth expanding upon though, the Satanic Black Mass happens very rarely (as fnord mentioned) and there is no blood sacrifice, baptism in urine, killing babies etc those things happen only in Hollywood. For most Satanists, the Black Mass is intended to help rid a person of ingrained Christian dogma they may have had drilled into them as a child. For others, the Black Mass is a source of fun as Satanic rituals are highly theatrical and melodramatic and let's face it, we all have that prankster element deep down that finds blasphemy and irreverence highly entertaining!

I should also mention that I have only heard of "LaVeyan Satanists" performing a Black Mass. If theistic Satanists do it too, I haven't heard of it.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
For most Satanists, the Black Mass is intended to help rid a person of ingrained Christian dogma they may have had drilled into them as a child. For others, the Black Mass is a source of fun as Satanic rituals are highly theatrical and melodramatic and let's face it, we all have that prankster element deep down that finds blasphemy and irreverence highly entertaining!

Shyanekh got it right. I Black Mass can be used by the newly aspiring Black Magician to purge himself, his psyche, of engrained RHP/christian/muslim, etc., dogmas instilled within him throughout his life. In this sense the Black Mass can serve as a Greater Black Magical Working designed to bring forth deep Change within the Self. But the Black Mass can also be used as a form of LBM, ceremonial psycho-drama as described by Anton LaVey is his "Satanic Bible".

I personally have participated in three Black Masses over the years, one of which was very "blasphemous" towards both Jehovah/Jesus Christ and Allah/Mohammad as the true imposters and slave-masters of the profane mind. Where as Satan and Shaitan were the true great benefactors and Liberators of the human race. All three ceremonies proved to be quite purifying and Magically stimulating for me. :bat: Of course Set was also conjured as the supreme manifestation of all semblances of That which is Justly called the Prince of Darkness, the First of Our Kind.

Hail, Shaitan!
Hail, Satan!
Ave, Hail, the Majesty of Set!
/Adramelek\

Last edited: