• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Book of Mormon - Have you read it?

nutshell

Many times I notice non-LDS posters write something such as "I'm going to start reading the Book of Mormon."

For those of you who have mentioned you were going to ready the Book of Mormon, have you started? If so, what are your thoughts so far? If not, why not?

And for anyone else who has ready the Book of Mormon, what were your thoughts about it and why did you read it?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Could I answer?

I'll be brief. I've read the Book of Mormon two times through entirely. Once since we've gotten married and once in the few months before my husband and I were married.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
nutshell said:
Many times I notice non-LDS posters write something such as "I'm going to start reading the Book of Mormon."

For those of you who have mentioned you were going to ready the Book of Mormon, have you started? If so, what are your thoughts so far? If not, why not?
Good question. I've sent copies of the Book of Mormon to two RFers who requested them. When I did, it was with no strings attached. I haven't brought up the subject with them because I didn't want them to feel pressured. But I have to admit, I am kind of curious.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Katzpur said:
Good question. I've sent copies of the Book of Mormon to two RFers who requested them. When I did, it was with no strings attached. I haven't brought up the subject with them because I didn't want them to feel pressured. But I have to admit, I am kind of curious.
I have been reading it katz, but to be honest i find it hard going. It's the language i think, makes me feel sleepy, lol, if there were a version written in modern english i think i'd fare better. It's interesting though.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I read it many years ago.
Unlike Halcion, I did not find it hard to read, though the styalized King James english was a little irritating at times.
I had more trouble with some of the things it was saying than the way it said it.
That it follows Christianity I have no doubt, that its message differs in places to my own view, is of no greater importance to me; than how other denominations differ one from another.

SoyLeche

meh...
Halcyon said:
I have been reading it katz, but to be honest i find it hard going. It's the language i think, makes me feel sleepy, lol, if there were a version written in modern english i think i'd fare better. It's interesting though.
There is this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/02...9264/ref=pd_bbs_5/102-6524955-9388936?ie=UTF8

It isn't published by the Church, and I don't stand behind it because I've never actually looked at it. I don't think the language is different, but it looks like it is organized differently.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
I've tried to find a copy locally, unfortunately every Christian bookshop I've visited so far has sniffily told me that they only stock 'real' Christian books. :rolleyes:

(I'll probably order one online once I scrape enough money together :))

SoyLeche

meh...
NordicBearskin said:
I've tried to find a copy locally, unfortunately every Christian bookshop I've visited so far has sniffily told me that they only stock 'real' Christian books. :rolleyes:

(I'll probably order one online once I scrape enough money together :))
Or ask Katzpur -- she's been known to send them :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
SoyLeche said:
Or ask Katzpur -- she's been known to send them :)
I'd be happy to send a Book of Mormon to anyone who would like one. And I won't give out your address to the missionaries, either. :D All I would ask in return is that you don't just stick it on a shelf somewhere and forget it. I would hope that anyone who asks for one would at least try to read it.

Halcyon said:
I know, Paul. It's hard reading for me, too, but so is the Bible.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Katzpur said:
I'd be happy to send a Book of Mormon to anyone who would like one.
Thank you, honestly; but I wouldn't feel right asking for such a balm. (Whenever I get embarassed I end up talking like this :eek:) The only real thing stopping me from getting my own copy is lack of effort, something no one else should pay for.

And I won't give out your address to the missionaries, either. :D
That's a shame, I was looking forward to doin' some convertin'. ;)

nutshell

NordicBearskin said:
Thank you, honestly; but I wouldn't feel right asking for such a balm. (Whenever I get embarassed I end up talking like this :eek:) The only real thing stopping me from getting my own copy is lack of effort, something no one else should pay for.

That's a shame, I was looking forward to doin' some convertin'. ;)

As was mentioned earlier, you can order for free through mormon.org. Of course, you'll have missionaries knocking on your door after that. If you don't want that, there are now copies available for purchase in the religious section of big box book stores such as Barnes and Noble and Borders. Costco has been known to carry them as well.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I read it when I was given a copy by some missionaries that used to come to my house.
I found it, in some ways, an easier read then the Bible.
Rather than a disparate assemblage of articles written over hundreds (thousands?) of years, by many, very different people, The Book of Mormon is pretty much a unified, complete historical narrative. There is plot and character development -- and my copy had some really nice illustrations! :D

Booko

Deviled Hen
********* MOD POST *********

Several off topic posts have been deleted from this thread.

Please keep in mind that this area of the forum is not intended for debate. If you wish to debate the Book of Mormon, the Religious Debates section is available.

If anyone would like to reread the forum rules, you can find them here

Bishka

Veteran Member
Thanks Sharon. I was really trying not to get in a debate. I appreciate those being delted including mine, sorry for the trouble I caused.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I have a Book of Mormon sitting on my religious texts shelf. But I haven't had a reason to read it yet. I suppose I would for a class, but to be honest I can't see me having time otherwise.

Booko

Deviled Hen
nutshell said:

And for anyone else who has ready the Book of Mormon, what were your thoughts about it and why did you read it?

I read the Book of Mormon when I was in college, but honestly, it was so long ago I couldn't begin to tell you my impressions.

What I've learned since was from dialogue with Mormons online for a couple of decades, which has been really great.

I'm always finding it interesting where we have common beliefs, especially since our history comes from the same time period.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Maize said:
I have a Book of Mormon sitting on my religious texts shelf. But I haven't had a reason to read it yet. I suppose I would for a class, but to be honest I can't see me having time otherwise.

I try reading it anyways...:D I understand the no time statement, I just purchased the Tao Te Ching, I have a Qur'an at home and some other texts and I have no clue where I'm going to get that all in -- all with my regular scripture study :D