• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Catholic Church and Land Ownership

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's amazing enough that the catholic church still has its own ruling government.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
And the point is...?
One point I take from it: when the Church pleads that it can't afford to compensate its abuse victims, it's lying.

After all, it is the world's largest church, and to call it a "land baron" smacks of bias. Is the U.S. government also a "land baron"?
The world's largest church claims to represent an ideology that condemns amassing wealth for its own sake. Is the US government similarly hypocritical with its land ownership?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Owned by nobody.
Nobody owns the goods and properties of RCC.
When a Pope dies, nobody inherits the Vatican.

I am more preoccupied with those Banking elites who own the 90% of US properties, either directly or indirectly.
Whereas the Americans are deprived of universal healthcare.

Last edited:

Vee

Premium Member
The Catholic Church is a very old institution. It is kinda normal that they gathered land and other forms of wealth over the years. I would like to see that land be put to better use, or sold and the money used to make people's lives better, but the management of territory is a complicated, rather political affair that goes much further than the church itself.
I find it more disturbing all the houses Blackrock and co. keep buying, driving the prices up and keeping normal folks out of the market because they own it all and the average person with an average salary will never be able to buy their own place to live.