• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Center Of The Bible (Awesome or Interesting or both?)

cardero

Citizen Mod
I’m sure there are a lot of people who are familiar with this e-Mail.

Q: What is the shortest chapter in the Bible?

A: Psalms 117

Q: What is the longest chapter in the Bible?

A: Psalms 119

Q: Which chapter is in the center of the Bible?

A: Psalms 118
Fact: There are 594 chapters before Psalms 118

Fact: There are 594 chapters after Psalms 118

Add these numbers up and you get 1188.

Q: What is the center verse in the Bible?

A: Psalms 118:8

Q: Does this verse say something significant about God's perfect will for our lives?

The next time someone says they would like to find

God's perfect will for their lives and that they want to

be in the center of His will, just send them to the

center of His Word!

Psalms 118:8

'It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.'

Now isn't that odd how this worked out (or was God in the center of it)?

Now, I am not about to ask you to send this thread to 10 people but I would like your thoughts about whether you find this incident an awesome or interesting display of the intelligence and power of GOD.

Last edited:

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I think people love to find patterns in things - especially aesthetically pleasing and balanced numerical patterns. Is that an "interesting display of the intelligence and power of GOD"? I'll leave that one up to you.

kai

ragamuffin
isnt that a fallacy? i looked it up and found this.

According to independent research, the King James Version (KJV) of the Holy Bible contains 1189 chapters; Psalm 117 is the 595th; there are 594 chapters before Psalm 117, and 594 after it. Thus, it is 117, not 118, that is the center chapter of the bible. The KJV has an even number of verses (31,102) and, thus, does not have a single middle verse. The "middle verses" are Psalm 103:1-2, with 15,550 verses before and after.

The Center of the Bible? - BreakTheChain.org

Dunemeister

In that case, the central verse is:

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and do not forget all his benefits

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
In that case, the central verse is:

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and do not forget all his benefits
:D Been doing your homework I see......Happy New Year and blessings

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I’m sure there are a lot of people who are familiar with this e-Mail.

Q: What is the shortest chapter in the Bible?

A: Psalms 117

Fact: There are 594 chapters before Psalms 118

Fact: There are 594 chapters after Psalms 118

Add these numbers up and you get 1188.

If you add up each of the digits in each of these figures, exp: 117=1+1+7,
They all add up to 9, which is supposed to be meaningful according to numerology (not sure what it stands for though)

The verse in Psalm that you said was the center of the bible , is in fact not the center.
there are three reasons for this :
1. (not accounting the translational and editorial differences) that truly is not the center but you are close to the assumed center.
2. The bible has been given more books and truncated and then more books given and then more truncated, due to the multiple canons and there are a myriad of books that in the bible that were left out or put in for no good reason.
3.There are many passages of scripture in the bible that were not found in all of the three or four oldest and best manuscripts, that were not dealt with.

Last edited:
did the original text even have chapters?
No. The bible was created with a new testament in the latter half of the 4th century A.D. Chapters and verses were not added until hundreds of years later.
A little before Galileo's era. Notice the new testament people never quote from the OT stating book , chapter, or verse.

Last edited:

Allfather

Troublemaker from Ulster
Quagmire said:
If you add up each of the digits in each of these figures, exp: 117=1+1+7,
They all add up to 9, which is supposed to be meaningful according to numerology (not sure what it stands for though)

As far as I know, 9 is the more stable version of 7, and both are related to clairvoyance, psychic abilities, intuition, and prophesy. I find that interesting, especially if we are on the speculative kick we are on. Seems a numerical sign would be significant in the center of one of the main books written by (arguably) the greatest major prophet

*EDIT...my stupidity is showing. We're talking about Psalms, not Isaiah. I made it what I wanted it to be, it seems. Still cool nonetheless.

Last edited:

lockyfan

I love the fact that Psalm 103:1-2 is about Blessing the name of God (which is removed from that scripture) and also remembering all his benefits.

Then the other "central scripture"is about putting Trust in God and not man

so either one is central to part of his will