• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Challenge of Translation / Especially of Ancient Texts

Ehav4Ever

Often when people only know a single language they take for granted what a translation and what it is not. One of the areas that I found this to be case in when it comes to ancient texts. The below video, I think, does a good job of discussing this challenge when it comes to ancient texts from languages that are no longer in use.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
Often when people only know a single language they take for granted what a translation and what it is not. One of the areas that I found this to be case in when it comes to ancient texts. The below video, I think, does a good job of discussing this challenge when it comes to ancient texts from languages that are no longer in use.

Translations can indeed be very difficult. For example, even ancient Greek which we can still read, is notoriously tricky as it has many words for the same thing and in many cases the nuances are lost to us.

Tamino

Very true. Language is important, especially if you are interested in philosophical ideas or theological nuances.
I actually found my own religious foundation while learning the associated language. (that's a pun. The Egyptian ethical system is built around the key term of Ma'at, that can be abbreviated withe the glyph "ma", which visually and phonetically represents the base or pedestal of a throne. So if I say that Ma'at is the base of my ethics, that's a pun. But it does not show up to in translation)

on the other hand, I also find it fascinating to see the similarities. Think about it... translations are possible! Many words have pretty close equivalents in other languages. And if there is no direct translation, like with the different Greek variations of "love", you can still explain the concepts to an English speaker, using English words... You might just need a few more if them.
For me, it's comforting to know that people are not so different after all.

Tamino

when people only know a single language
Is that likely on this forum though? I'd guess that most people here know at least two, and bits and pieces from some ancient ones.

It's another leap for the brain, however, when you have a different writing system for the first time... I still feel like I'm back in elementary school when I read Arabic, I'm soooo slow. And Greek is worse because I don't it often an keep forgetting letters.

Ehav4Ever

Is that likely on this forum though? I'd guess that most people here know at least two, and bits and pieces from some ancient ones.

It's another leap for the brain, however, when you have a different writing system for the first time... I still feel like I'm back in elementary school when I read Arabic, I'm soooo slow. And Greek is worse because I don't it often an keep forgetting letters.
It can be when we are talking about "ancient languages."

For example, someone who knows no Aramaic, reads something in translation, and doesn't realize that translation is a type of commentary. I have encountered that one a lot.

Also, that reading a translation of something can be far in distance from someone who can actually read the text and understand it due to knowing all of the cultural norms around the text and the language. I have come across people who don't understand this, even if they are bi-linqual.

Ehav4Ever

Translations can indeed be very difficult. For example, even ancient Greek which we can still read, is notoriously tricky as it has many words for the same thing and in many cases the nuances are lost to us.
It is interesting that you mention that about Greek. I was watching a video today about how the statement John loves Mary can be represented in ancient Greek by numerous methods with definate articles on the names and such, like "the John loves the Mary."

Tamino

Out of curiosity: why?
Well, because people here have a special interest in at least one religion or philosophy, right? And most religions and philosophies have original texts in languages other than English. So it would make sense to me that people on this forum would be interested in at least some basics of those respective languages.