• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miracle

Christian

If you haven't checked it out already, you definitely should. This 8-minute video explains the complexity of God in a somewhat simple way. Great for atheists, Jews and all other faiths that find the Godhead confusing.

Let me know whether you agree or disagree.

God bless you!

Axe Elf

Prophet
It's not really that complicated. We are created in God's triune image, with a mind (Father), body (Son) and Spirit. We are the only other triune critters He created; animals have bodies and spirits, but no souls, and angels/demons have souls and spirits, but no bodies. We can understand the unity of the Trinity by understanding our own triune nature.

pearl

I remember more than a few homilists who would have benefited from this on Trinity Sunday!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

If you haven't checked it out already, you definitely should. This 8-minute video explains the complexity of God in a somewhat simple way. Great for atheists, Jews and all other faiths that find the Godhead confusing.

God bless you!

Hmm. Nice perspective.

Rational Agnostic

God bless you!

I'm too lazy to watch the video. But anyway, if you are invoking a complex deity as your explanation for where complexity comes from, you only raise more questions about where the deity came from, so you end up re-creating the problem you were trying to solve.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I'm too lazy to watch the video. But anyway, if you are invoking a complex deity as your explanation for where complexity comes from, you only raise more questions about where the deity came from, so you end up re-creating the problem you were trying to solve.
They're not saying God is composed of complex parts. God has no parts, thus no complexity.

What they are saying is that are God transcends human ability to fully conceptualize. That we can only understand God though analogy.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

God bless you!

I'd say the trinity is like different ways to express a religion with a creator.

You can relate to him as a father. A person. A deity. A teacher.

You can relate by experiencing love. Grace. Guidence. Knowledge.

You can relate by following His example. And his Passion.

You can express these things as one in its stiff definition: creator

You can refer to these things as One unspoken aspect of reflection of self: teacher. Student. Interactive lesson.

You can see them as playing a role in your life: creator, creation, purpose

Or you can have a relationship with the whole rather than reflections.

Trinity exist in how people want to relate to god. But, in the video, that could be called a trinity but the definition of the word implies relationship not one being the other. Being One doesn't mean being each other...so it highly depends on how the person wants to relate to the creator. Trinity isn't important in that respect. Just depends.

nPeace

Veteran Member

God bless you!
The Bible says God is one. :):sunglasses:
In other parts of the Bible, God is three. o_O:confused::( ?

Skwim

Veteran Member
I stopped watching when, in the very beginning (within the first 15 seconds), the narrators say

---"The Bible says there's one god, but in other parts of the Bible god is three; father, son, and spirit. How could it be both?"

---"Yeah, this is a question that has mystified people for thousands of years."
To my recollection, the Bible doesn't present god as three; father, son, and spirit. Moreover, because the trinity wasn't established until 381A. D. it hasn't "mystified people for thousands of years." Just 1,637 years.

David T

Premium Member
They're not saying God is composed of complex parts. God has no parts, thus no complexity.

What they are saying is that are God transcends human ability to fully conceptualize. That we can only understand God though analogy.

"That we can only understand God though analogy."

Thats minimizing experience and elevating the intellect absurdly enough..although if orgasm is an analogy i am all in on it.. I will run that by my better half see what she says.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
"That we can only understand God though analogy."

Thats minimizing experience and elevating the intellect absurdly enough..although if orgasm is an analogy i am all in on it.. I will run that by my better half see what she says.
I'm sorry but is this meant to make sense?

Look, if you think you comprehend God in His fullness, in His infinite essence then I'm not going to be able to talk you out of that belief. But by no means will I accept that whatever you have in your head is at all approaching anything resembling God.

David T

Premium Member
I'm sorry but is this meant to make sense?

Look, if you think you comprehend God in His fullness, in His infinite essence then I'm not going to be able to talk you out of that belief. But by no means will I accept that whatever you have in your head is at all approaching anything resembling God.
Sorry i am all about you know breathing trees, hiking in the wilderness or REALITY!!

Rather than self agrandizing bs dressed up in religous drag.. its so not biblical but certainly is modern christian..southern baptist actually.

"The Burns family run a general store in a one store town and still managed to do badly. They were Methodists, a denomination my father referred to as Baptists who could read."
Norman mcclean
A river runs through it.

HonestJoe

To put it bluntly, how do they know? If God “transcends human ability to fully conceptualize”, no amount of analogy or anything else is going to help. If they’re defining God as something we literally can’t understand, they can’t go on to explain anything about that God. It’s like saying there’s an invisible box in the middle of the room and though we’ve no way of seeing it, you know its’s green.

It is perfectly valid to propose the concept of there being aspects of reality we’re fundamentally incapable of fully observing or understanding but by its very definition, we can’t then go on to say anything about what (if anything) exists within that realm.

wellwisher

A certain man called Joe, is a unique person based on DNA and finger prints. He is also a father, a son, and a teacher. He has children, he has parents and his occupation is that of a teacher. A unity can be a trinity.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
To put it bluntly, how do they know? If God “transcends human ability to fully conceptualize”, no amount of analogy or anything else is going to help. If they’re defining God as something we literally can’t understand, they can’t go on to explain anything about that God. It’s like saying there’s an invisible box in the middle of the room and though we’ve no way of seeing it, you know its’s green.
We experience God in part and with less evolved spiritual sensory system. It means we CAN know God, but we cannot know his infiniteness.