• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Conservative Party

Fluffy

A fool
For those who aren't from the UK, the Conservative and Unionist Party (more commonly known as the Conservatives or Tories) are the second biggest, right-from-centre political party in the UK behind Labour. Since I first became politically aware, I have never been able to understand the mentality of those who have decided to vote Conservative especially of those of my generation since generally those who are younger tend to be more liberal.

So here I will take some time to outline the reasons why I could never, ever vote Conservative. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty Conservative views I agree with such as their more recent opposition to ID cards. However, for me, the bad outweighs the good to such an extent that sometimes I wonder how Conservative voters are able to sleep at night!

History of Racism
The best way to describe this laundry list has to be "extensive". What other party, even in 1964, would even begin to consider endorsing the slogan "If you want a ****** for a neighbour, vote Labour"? A slogan that resulted in a Tory victory no less.

Today the picture is not a whole lot different. The language may be milder but the intentions and feelings of grassroots-conservatism is still going strong. For what other reason did John Taylor (a black Conservative) fail to keep the safe Cheltenham seat than racist Conservative voters switching parties in horror at having to vote for a black MP? Why else would Michael Ancram have to remind candidates to "avoid using language which is likely to generate racial or religious hatred"? Perhaps such a memo was wholly necessary for a party famous for members such as Alan Clark, David Davies, John Townend, Teresa Gorman, Ann Winterton and Norman Tebbit all of whom have been universally condemned, even by their Conservative peers and leadership, of racist comments.

Didn't anybody else ask, when "Conservative modernisers" used the election of Adam Afriyie in 2005 (the first black Conservative MP) as an indication of changing attitudes in the Conservative Party, why such an event was being lauded as a success? Surely if this is a success then the situation beforehand must have been truly dire indeed.

Defence of the Nuclear Family
I'm not opposed to this in some senses, however, I oppose it fully when it comes at the expense or demonisation of more "deviant" forms social interaction such as homosexuality or single parent families. Unfortunately, the Conservative party takes the latter stance.

It will be a long time before I let anybody forget that it was Thatcher's government who introduced the infamous Section 28 banning "the teaching in any maintained school of the acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship" in 1988. Has the party modernised in this respect? Well clearly not after Shaun Woodward was sacked 11 years later after refusing to give his support for Section 28. Further evidence can be seen in their policy of opposition to gay adoption in 2002 (after quashing a significant revolt by Conservative modernisers).

Even David Cameron's recent appeal to openly gay Conservatives to volunteer to be placed on a "fast track" list, heightening their chances of becoming MPs smacks not only positive discrimination but also insincerity from a party that has consistently opposed every single bit of pro-gay legislation.

Euroscepticism
I am a member of this world first and a member of my country second. If there is one thing that history should teach us, it is that isolationist policies always, without fail, have led to stagnation in growth (both economically and socially) and, more occasionally, have let some of the biggest man-made tragedies to pass by under many a country's selfish eye. I refuse to ascribe to this philosophy whereby the suffering of another can be ignored based on the mere fact that they are not present in my country.

Therefore, it should not really come as a surprise that I disagree with the Conservative Party on a fundamental level here. Not only is it bad for our economy to isolate ourselves from Europe (as petty as that concern may seem in comparison) but we are effectively saying "we live in a privileged society but rather than sacrificing some of that privilege to help those people who come from parts of the world where they have none, we will strive to widen the gap between us and them". It should not be seen as a disadvantage if we become slightly worse off by strengthening our EU ties, it should be seen as a worthy sacrifice in aid of breaking down this wall we ourselves have built between the humans of the UK and the humans of Europe.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
It's rather strange that when you joined, I remember asking you why you held such polarised views which were anti-conservative. I saw you 'waver' at some stage, and now you ghave gone back to your original stance.

I am not half as 'happy' with the conservatives as I used to be, and while i disagree with you to some extent on certain issues, I am slowly sliding off my previous position; where to ? I haven't a clue.

Your comments on euroscepticism are, to my mind, misguided. I have no doubt that your motives are of the best, but I don't personally see it your way.

One of the points I first learned in Economics (and I did study the subject awhile), was the economies of scale.

I do not approve of the incredible waste due to policies of the European union.....our having become 'one monetary union' (which thankfully we haven't fully yet agreed to)...there is far too much bureaucracy, too much waste, and idiotic rules (which are dependent on each individual country).

I have seen inter country 'conjuring tricks' with various foodstuffs....purely for monetary gain.

I personally think we still have a great viability as an individual country, and our monetary contributions to those less wealthy than ourselves could be directed far better to third world countries, rather than to other European countries, where the money is very swiftly redirected into the wrong hands, and our gifts abused.

I do not trust (nor like) the French one little bit; the Germans are far too self obsessed.well, it ain't for me.

But I guess it's your England now Fluffy (and my sons') - one who is a conservative, the other has joined the green party.:shout

Fluffy

A fool
It's rather strange that when you joined, I remember asking you why you held such polarised views which were anti-conservative. I saw you 'waver' at some stage, and now you ghave gone back to your original stance.

I am not half as 'happy' with the conservatives as I used to be, and while i disagree with you to some extent on certain issues, I am slowly sliding off my previous position; where to ? I haven't a clue.

Well just to clarify I am firmly anti-Conservative with a capital C :). I do agree with conservative issues to a great extent, especially economically, and I even agree with the Conservative party on some issues (like no IDs for example).

I don't really feel like I have gone back to my original stance on this matter however. If the small but hopeful Conservative modernisation movement makes an impact (which it will do eventually) then it will actually solve the three issues I outline above and therefore I will no longer disagree with them on such a fundamental level. Obviously I will still disagree just as I disagree with other parties, however the Conservatives are notable, in my mind, for having such stark contrasting policies to what I see as mainstream British politics.

I'll get back to you on the rest, right now I have to get ready for an x-box party :). Thanks for the comments, I do appreciate them!

Fluffy

A fool
I do not approve of the incredible waste due to policies of the European union.....our having become 'one monetary union' (which thankfully we haven't fully yet agreed to)...there is far too much bureaucracy, too much waste, and idiotic rules (which are dependent on each individual country).

I have seen inter country 'conjuring tricks' with various foodstuffs....purely for monetary gain.

It would be a mistake to assume this is some kind of new effect that we would be aquiring. The kind of corruption that you are seeing already happens in the UK to much the same extent. By becoming more integrated with Europe we could help to stop corruption in both the EU and at home. The reason why corruption is able to have such leeway is because we can't agree and so it can always find a foot hold.

However, if you compare the levels of corruption within the EU to pre-EU dates, then you will see that things have improved significantly. Yes the EU is not perfect, but its not like its created problems that weren't there already. It hasn't managed to solve all of these problems but it has helped in other ways and certainly hasn't made anything worse. By further integration, this positive trend can continue.

I personally think we still have a great viability as an individual country, and our monetary contributions to those less wealthy than ourselves could be directed far better to third world countries, rather than to other European countries, where the money is very swiftly redirected into the wrong hands, and our gifts abused.

Unfortunately the problem is not largely monetary. The amount of money we have chucked into Africa over the years is surely evidence of this. In my eyes it is exactly the same problem as above, a sense of Us and Them when it should be We as humanity.

I do not trust (nor like) the French one little bit; the Germans are far too self obsessed.well, it ain't for me.

Its a viscious circle. In not trusting them we inevitably become self obsessed and force them to do the same. We have no more reason to distrust France than they do to distrust us. Similarly the only reason why Germany is self obsessed is because we are not willing to cooperate with them so they have little choice and vice versa! Someone has to break the pattern. Europe has stood united at many points during history and we were damn good at it as well. I have no doubt that Europe will become united again many times as long as we can get rid of this sense of them being somehow different to us.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
All very good points. I can well remember my father grinning like a Cheshire Cat at election-time :"I have an excuse not to vote, because I am not a British Citizen, I am very happy with that arrangement. I'll let the British vote in the wrong crooks."