• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Culture of the Teutons By Vilhelm Grönbech

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Has anyone read it? I'm currently reading it, or rather, trying to read it. It's extremely detailed, dense and wordy. It seems to be more a historical treatise than something applicable to daily life unless one is completely reconstructing the life and worldview of the ancient Germanics and Heathens. Or is it me that's dense instead of the book? :confused:

Sees

Dragonslayer
I just started trying to read it again after you mentioned it to me the other day. It is a bit of an effort, for sure. Will put up some detailed thoughts on it later.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Good, I look forward to your take on it. I did come across a review saying that because it is so detailed and accurate in what the old Heathen worldview was, trying to apply a lot of it to modern life is pert' near impossible. In the other person's words, it could cause a lot of personal strife. For example, since regaining lost honor and removing shame after an insult or injury was of paramount importance, today we can't very well go around getting blood revenge. And according to the old ways, settling in court only gave permission to take someone's head! But so far I haven't seen a modern day alternative in the book for regaining honor. In that case, how can one truly live as a Heathen, as is so often pushed? I think there is a lot of cherry-picking and UPG one has to use.

vaguelyhumanoid

Well, Heathenry doesn't have to mean 100% recreation of medieval or ancient Germanic society. If it did, that would be some sort of hybrid of a primitivist political movement and the SCA. The Hellenic pagan community hardly wants a return to slavery, or pederasty for that matter.

Sees

Dragonslayer
My more detailed thoughts. :)

I think if you took the information from a few modern day Heathen articles, stretched out the presentation unbearably by a writer who loves to listen to himself, you'd get this. Understanding it's an English translation we are using, it still seems like it has to be very poorly written in any language. There is an obvious, romantic "outsider looking in" fixation on the rough and tumble characters of Sagas as though the foundation/epitome for the people, their philosophy and religion. I think it's too focused on that very small portion of a small subset of Germanic worldview.

It's still valuable, especially for its time, but I really don't like it much at all. It reflects the vision and attitude of folks revitalizing the old national spirit of Northern European countries going on at the time - but seems to me it never really grasps the spirituality for more than a split second here and there.

Anyways, I'm still going to re-read most of it again a second time around just to search for some things to make note of and look further into.

I think as far as honor, revenge, payment, etc. we just have to look at them as principles and apply modern techniques. And I think historically inspired is better than reconstruction the vast majority of the time. Reviving or reigniting is even preferable to reconstruction. I don't hold myself back because some other folks picked "reconstructionism" :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm going to skip around in it too, especially to Volume II, which looks to be more religion, ritual and spirituality oriented. I simply could not get past the chapters on honor. Since I posted yesterday on this I did find another commentary that said (I'm paraphrasing):

Culture of theTeutons has honor-killing of women and many other things not appropriate for anyone's worldview. The author seems most biased in his love for the barbarian, but one can't live like that in this modern age. This is a good example of Heathen disagreement. ... it is a very high reading level. Someone trying to live this way will find a lot of strife in their life. Maybe those lauding this book pick and choose the parts they like, similar to what Christians do with the Bible.

So, I put it back on the shelf and started Our Troth Vol. 1. I have Vol. 1 & 2. So far Vol. 1 looks really good.

And I think historically inspired is better than reconstruction the vast majority of the time. Reviving or reigniting is even preferable to reconstruction.

Btw, my germinating thoughts exactly. I am getting the impression that many Heathens want to live in 973 AD, or live in 2015 AD exactly as people did in 973 AD.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Btw, my germinating thoughts exactly. I am getting the impression that many Heathens want to live in 973 AD, or live in 2015 AD exactly as people did in 973 AD.

LOL I've gotten that impression sometimes, as well. I think a lot of younger Heathens, especially, want to be Vikings. Because Vikings are COOL. HOLD THE HEATHEN HAMMER HIGH!!!!

Never mind the fact that simply getting cut by a sword once could mean losing a limb, if you're lucky. And the fact that, well, the day-to-day life of most Vikings involved farming.

These days, that High-Held Heathen Hammer is probably more useful for nailing beams of wood together, than hitting people on the head. lol

vaguelyhumanoid

Yep. I'm queer, a bit on the feminine side and have anxiety issues so I'd have my work cut out for me in the Viking Age... doesn't stop me from being fascinated with the ancient and medieval world, though.

also I've heard pretty great things about Our Troth and Kveldulf's other books. Kveldulf is a cool name btw.