• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Daily Grill - May 3, 2005

seagull

"I don't think the rationale for the war hinged on the existence of stockpiles."

– Undersecretary of Defense Douglas Feith, The New Yorker, 5/9/05, http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/050509fa_fact

VERSUS

"I'd like to spend a moment, if I can, stressing in particular the crucial task of eliminating weapons of mass destruction. We have begun detailed planning for this task, which includes securing, assessing and dismantling Iraq's WMD capabilities, its facilities and stockpiles. This will be a huge undertaking."

– Feith, Senate Testimony, 2/11/03, http://www.iraqwatch.org/government/US/HearingsPreparedstatements/sfrc-021103.htm

seagull

Sunstone said:
Hmmmm. A lying politician? Whatever will we see next?
Except that this is the worst kind of lie and, apparently, nobody is willing to hold even one person accountable for this administration's failure.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:
Hmmmm. A lying politician? Whatever will we see next?
I always understood it was necessary to be able to lie convincingly to go into politics.:biglaugh:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
seagull said:
Except that this is the worst kind of lie and, apparently, nobody is willing to hold even one person accountable for this administration's failure.
Good point, Seagull. The lies that get us into a war, with its loss of life and other destruction, are certainly worse than, say, the lies politicians tell to get a road built.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
seagull said:
"I don't think the rationale for the war hinged on the existence of stockpiles."

– Undersecretary of Defense Douglas Feith, The New Yorker, 5/9/05,

VERSUS

"I'd like to spend a moment, if I can, stressing in particular the crucial task of eliminating weapons of mass destruction. We have begun detailed planning for this task, which includes securing, assessing and dismantling Iraq's WMD capabilities, its facilities and stockpiles. This will be a huge undertaking."

– Feith, Senate Testimony, 2/11/03,
The only distortion I see is in making it appear as though these two phrases mean that someone lied to you about the war. Saying that the decision did not hinge on Saddam having WMD, even though you were making a contingency plan for the safe disassembly of them if there were is not a lie. It is preparing for the worst, in case the worst happens.