• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Eternal Truths

TransmutingSoul

One Planet, One People, Please!
Premium Member
This topic is to discuss the posibility of each Faith having teachings that are at the core of all Faiths. It may be that as we discuss this topic, we may find that there are a great deal of clear harmonious beleifs and there may be some that are similar, but seen to be different in ones personal view.

I will start with what seems to be the most obvious across many faiths, the Golden Rule.

golden.rule.jpg

What teaching would you like to explore that you see is a core timeless teaching?

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
The importance of life and the actions and decisions people make that doesn't necessarily support and promote life...

Now with that we could explore what are the core teachings about what is life and what actions are needed to support that life.

My idea is that true life in most faiths might be finding the good in ones own self, so that good can be shared.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
The immortal soul...

Thanks for that, I see that is a good one and what RF has shown me is that teaching may have many avenues of thought.

It may be that the immortal soul in each of the Faiths, needs to be awakened in one way or another?

Regards Tony

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
This topic is to discuss the posibility of each Faith having teachings that are at the core of all Faiths. It may be that as we discuss this topic, we may find that there are a great deal of clear harmonious beleifs and there may be some that are similar, but seen to be different in ones personal view.

I will start with what seems to be the most obvious across many faiths, the Golden Rule.

View attachment 28692

What teaching would you like to explore that you see is a core timeless teaching?

Regards Tony

Atheism, as a religion, holds the core belief that there is no God, there is no afterlife. However, though not my cup of tea, many atheists support something similar to the "Golden Rule".

Kind of hard to function as a society without some form of equality which I think is a foundation for the golden rule.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't notice any teachings "core" across all cultures and ways of life; there are always exceptions. This is not a bad thing, unless one believes diversity is a bad thing. Once upon a time, animism could be said to be "core" worldwide. "Person" didn't just mean "human" and developing meaningful relationships with these other-than-human persons was part of everyday life. But no teaching is really "core" nor is any teaching timeless. Through campaigns of cultural (and actual) genocide, indigenous animistic religious have been mostly wiped out by the "progress" called civilization. Actively practicing animistic cultures are few now, and those remaining are often threatened with extinction as the West tries to "modernize" them. And while a few of us revive the spirit of animism in Western cultures, it does not have the same grounded context as it did in these indigenous religions.

Sorry, that was kind of a downer; animism is just the first thing I thought of. :sweat: In spite of animism being largely wiped out in Western cultures, animistic thinking is still prevalent. We didn't retain our cultural teachings about how to relate to non-human persons so our animism is at most superficial though. The same basic story can be told about polytheism - a cultural "core" that was subverted in some parts of the world but still pokes through on a regular basis in odd (and mostly superficial) ways.

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
Atheism, as a religion, holds the core belief that there is no God, there is no afterlife. However, though not my cup of tea, many atheists support something similar to the "Golden Rule".

Kind of hard to function as a society without some form of equality which I think is a foundation for the golden rule.

That is great, as I see virtues are what can help us work together and that is inclusive.

It has been said if faith becomes the cause of division and disagreement, it is better to be without it.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
I don't notice any teachings "core" across all cultures and ways of life; there are always exceptions. This is not a bad thing, unless one believes diversity is a bad thing. Once upon a time, animism could be said to be "core" worldwide. "Person" didn't just mean "human" and developing meaningful relationships with these other-than-human persons was part of everyday life. But no teaching is really "core" nor is any teaching timeless. Through campaigns of cultural (and actual) genocide, indigenous animistic religious have been mostly wiped out by the "progress" called civilization. Actively practicing animistic cultures are few now, and those remaining are often threatened with extinction as the West tries to "modernize" them. And while a few of us revive the spirit of animism in Western cultures, it does not have the same grounded context as it did in these indigenous religions.

Sorry, that was kind of a downer; animism is just the first thing I thought of. :sweat: In spite of animism being largely wiped out in Western cultures, animistic thinking is still prevalent. We didn't retain our cultural teachings about how to relate to non-human persons so our animism is at most superficial though. The same basic story can be told about polytheism - a cultural "core" that was subverted in some parts of the world but still pokes through on a regular basis in odd (and mostly superficial) ways.

We could then start with Virtues. Love and Justice are two I see that the world needs.

We can expand on them as to how they are taught across faiths and no faith.

Regards Tony

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Judaism is not really a religion for the world. It is a covenant specifically for the Jewish people, calling us to be a priestly people, to set an example for the world, to bring light to them. Thus most of what we have doesn't apply to anyone else -- you can eat pork and mow your lawn on Saturday to your hearts' content and it's just fine.

However, there are universals, that's a for sure. Judaism teaches responsibility. Basically the rabbis have taught me that the core of Judaism is "Love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength," and to "love your neighbor as yourself." If that's the core of Judaism, what we would call "Ethical Monotheism," then yes I would say that this is something that we bring to all the world.

I think, though, that it is possible that other peoples have slightly different understandings of "God" than we do. If you go around the world, every people understands the concept of the Divine in some way shape, size... But I personally have a sufficient enough tolerance of these "blurs" in perception, to recognize them as perceptions of God.

Remember that different Jews have different opinions. I speak for my own Jewish understanding when I say this. It can be Tao, it can be Brahman, it can be the Great Spirit... Just love God and love your neighbor as yourself. That's the message I as a Jew bring to the world. Everything else is commentary. Now let's go study together, as Hillel would say. :)