• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The film Maharaj

Jedster

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I would like to know if cases like this have been, or are, common in India.
Unfortunate, but such cases are common in India. Many so-called Godmen are in jails for sex abuse. One has established his empire on a South American island, one more has just disappeared. Then there are tantrics who fool people.
For such people, my favorite statement is "Guru ko maro goli" (Shoot the person who claims to be a guru).

ajay0

Even in ancient times as well such superstitious practices came about and leaders in society had fought against them.

In the Hindu epic Mahabharatha, one can see Krishna disapproving human sacrifices by a powerful king named Jayadratha, considering such sacrifices violation of Ahimsa (nonviolence) and the Vedic teachings. Before the human sacrifice of a hundred men were about to be performed, Krishna and his cousin Bheema challenges Jayadratha to a duel and kills him, and liberates the imprisoned men.

The efforts of founders of the reformatory sects Arya Samaj and Brahmo Samaj , Swami Dayanand Saraswati and Rajaram Mohan Roy were instrumental in banning of Sati and other superstitious practices like casteism, untouchability, that had no basis in the Vedas and had crept up with time.

The reforms brought about by the Arya Samaj was mentioned by the Indian president Radhakrishnan as crucial in developing a humane and just legal constitution of India.

The Guru is one who destroys ignorance and unconsciousness and makes one aware, virtuous and mindful, and examples are Krishna and the Buddha.

If the so-called guru indulges in vice and unconscious acts, he is not a guru but a fraud. The enlightened sage Kabir had advocated critical examination to differentiate between genuine Gurus and frauds.

I had created a thread in this regard...