• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The fine-tuning argument

I'm new to the forums, so forgive me for being ignorant of any conventions or such-like. I should really get a signature.

Anyway, hi! Ooh, a rainbow smiley. :rainbow1:

Oh, right.

The fine-tuning argument is one that bothers me. A lot of them bother me, actually, don't even get me started on Pascal's wager, but I'd like to open my first discussion on the fine-tuning argument.

It's a variant of the teleological argument - argument from design, only slightly more modern. The teleological argument was most famously put forward by William Paley in century number 19 - I don't know if that was the earliest example, it's just the first that I know of - and argues, using the analogy of a watch, that if someone exhibits signs of design (it rhymes!) then there has to be a designER (or watchmaker in this case.) This is typically labelled "God".

So that's the teleological argument. The fine-tuning argument takes it one step further, and makes up for it's lack of understanding in mathematics by inserting science in it's place. Fine-tuning argument proponents (FAPs?) examine the constants that have to be the same for the universe to have come into existence, such as the .... I don't know, I'm not a scientist, but if any of these constants were even slightly, minimally different, life on Earth (i.e. human beings) could not have arisen. The constants must have been fine-tuned like dials on a radio, and so there must be a tuner.

The argument, in short, is that the existence of human beings is so improbable that it couldn't possibly have happened by chance. And so, here comes God. Because God must've been the creative force behind the universe, right...?

Well, let's examine the argument a little more closely.

1) It is so improbable that life arose purely by chance that it could not have been.
2) Therefore there must have been intervention by a higher power.
3) This higher power was God.

Now here's the thing: improbability in this scenario is seen as another word for impossibility. In essence, FAPs say that because it's so unlikely life arose by chance, it didn't. But the thing is, unlikely things can, and DO happen all the time. Think about the chances of winning the lottery. Sure, it's unlikely, but if it happened to you then that wouldn't mean anything, apart from you're now stinking rich and I hate you - kidding! Let me use another example that's even more ordinary.

Take a regular fair coin, and flip it 1000 times, recording the sequence of heads and tails as you go (e.g. HTHHTHTTHTHHT). The sequence you end up with... there is a 1 in 2^1000 chance that you got that sequence. 2^1000 is a number over 300 digits long. But you don't question that sequence, of course you don't. Sure, it's probably more likely that a plane would crash into a sinking ship than you'd get that sequence, but there's nothing out of the ordinary there.

There are several other objections of mine to the fine-tuning argument, but I've already rambled on for far too long, and need to wrap up this post now.

I'd like to know what you guys think, about the fine-tuning argument, if it convinces you, and why, or if it doesn't convince you, and why again? I'll be fascinated to hear from y'all.

Have fun! (Rainbow smiley :rainbow1: :D)

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Calculating the odds of something happening after it has happened is rather pointless because it has already happened.
Then to argue that god had to make it happen because the probability of it happening with out god is so unlikely without even mentioning what the probability of god creating us is rather dishonest.
At least in my opinion.

besides which, it has been my experience that those who try this argument run tail tucked when asked to show their work.
I.E. their calculations.

jmvizanko

Uber Tool
"1) It is so improbable that life arose purely by chance that it could not have been.
3) This higher power was God."

That's actually not the fine tuning argument. The fine tuning argument is more like the following:

1) Life could not arise unless the laws of physics were highly specified (usually considered only to our exact configuration) to produce a universe where life could exist.
2) If it had to be specified, somebody had to do the specifying, namely god.

The first premise completely fails. Its simply a lack of understanding of the holistic physical nature of the universe combined with a lack of imagination. The universe is a dynamic fractal of energy and matter, swirling around to form things like rocks, amino acids, and stars, while obeying physical laws. The physical laws of this universe allow groups of this matter and energy to form configurations that are living things, that do what we define life to do, reproduce, metabolize etc. Who is to say that in another universe, where say the laws of physics are so different that matter doesn't even take on the form of quarks and atoms for instance, that the substance that makes up that universe and the way that it behaves physically could not form sentient configurations?

As an analogy, consider the waves on a pond. Now consider the waves on a pond on an alien planet. Now, the waves on that alien planet are formed by the same laws of physics as ours, but in they will act on it in very different ways. The gravity would be different, the way the atmosphere behaves would be different, the effects of the planet's rotation would be different, and the gravity of its moon / lack of moon would be different. All of these physical phenomena (and more) drive what the shape of the waves is like at any given time. To say that life can't exist in a universe with different physical laws / constants is rather like saying that there won't be waves on the alien planets. There will be waves, but they will just be much different waves than we are used to. Sure waves are a lot less complex than living things, but that's why this is an analogy.

The failure to understand this is really rooted in not understanding the anthropic principle: Anthropic principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. To say that our universe must be finely tuned to produce / allow life is ignoring the fact that sentient beings in a completely different universe would be inclined to think the same thing about their universe. And who knows, maybe other universes with completely different physical laws and sentient configurations of those laws do exist.

Addition: Oh yeah, welcome to the forums!

Last edited:
"1) It is so improbable that life arose purely by chance that it could not have been.
3) This higher power was God."
That's actually not the fine tuning argument. The fine tuning argument is more like the following:

1) Life could not arise unless the laws of physics were highly specified (usually considered only to our exact configuration) to produce a universe where life could exist.
2) If it had to be specified, somebody had to do the specifying, namely god.

Thanks for clearing up my definition!

Addition: Oh yeah, welcome to the forums!

And thank you again! :D

Tiberius

I want to know...

If the universe was fine tuned to be a habitable place for life, why is it that the cosmological constant is a positive number, when having it as a NEGATIVE value increases the likelihood of stars (and therefore planets and the neccesary conditions for life) forming?

So if the fine tuning argument says that the universe is fine tuned for life, doesn't it predict that the cosmological constant is a negative value? Why then is it positive?

SOURCE

atanu

Premium Member
I want to know...

If the universe was fine tuned to be a habitable place for life, why is it that the cosmological constant is a positive number, .... Why then is it positive?

SOURCE

The universe is indeed extremely fine tuned for life. There is no denying that. But explanations may be of there kinds: God, Chance, or Multiverses. Chance, if it is single universe that we have, has no chance at all. God is an explanation, as per theists. Third view is explained by Susskind in the below video.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'd like to know what you guys think, about the fine-tuning argument, if it convinces you, and why, or if it doesn't convince you, and why again? I'll be fascinated to hear from y'all.

Does it convince me? Certainly not.

It is a good illustration of the biases of human perception when left to run amok. Nothing else.

At my most generous I call it an appeal to aesthetical preference. But even that leaves aside the rather arbitrary decision to call "fine tuning" what clearly is not.

atanu

Premium Member
Because it is a glorious, shameless festival of anthropocentric bias with no respect for objectivity nor to fact.

I have seen so much of that already. It is a waste of time.

You know facts of physics better than a quantum physicist?

Probably you have not seen the video or you have not understood his point where he talks of 4 possibilities and then points towards the possibility of multiverse.

(It seems that the current crop of physicists are not so good? Earlier someone ridiculed Kaku and now I find Susskind is also not correct.

I will urge any interested reader to see the video from about 6 minutes.)

Last edited: