• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The god of the human ego

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
The more I think about this the more it really bugs me. A whole lot of Theists really seem to believe in a god who serves human needs, that is to say, they seem to think this god devotes a whole lot of time to human needs.

They claim this god is all-transcendent, meaning he is above humans and our petty problems, yet their beliefs say this god sees us all the time, that he cares about who we have sex with, cares who we worship, cares if we destroy the world, cares about making sure that we get saved, the list goes on and on.

Am I the only one who finds it odd that a transcendent god would have never better to do then tend to humans constantly? Does god have nothing better to do or is god really the slave of humans, or otherwise, is this a god of the human ego's making?

Rainbow Mage

And the Almighty would have something else to go do?

I am assuming he would have other worlds to create, or other creations to tend to, or something along those lines. Why does he devote all his time to humans and our problems?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I am assuming he would have other worlds to create, or other creations to tend to, or something along those lines. Why does he devote all his time to humans and our problems?

I don't think He is all that devoted.

Picture yourself trying to focus on the everyday efforts of 6billion people.

Not many are so content as to not bother you.
Everybody needs something.
Many are praying...and some almost continuously.

If you give rain to one asking...and sun to another....
which one prevails?

There may be some relief here and there.
But I suspect we are left to our suffering for the most part.

Last edited:

Levite

Higher and Higher
The more I think about this the more it really bugs me. A whole lot of Theists really seem to believe in a god who serves human needs, that is to say, they seem to think this god devotes a whole lot of time to human needs.

They claim this god is all-transcendent, meaning he is above humans and our petty problems, yet their beliefs say this god sees us all the time, that he cares about who we have sex with, cares who we worship, cares if we destroy the world, cares about making sure that we get saved, the list goes on and on.

Am I the only one who finds it odd that a transcendent god would have never better to do then tend to humans constantly? Does god have nothing better to do or is god really the slave of humans, or otherwise, is this a god of the human ego's making?

I think that part of the benefit of an eternal God being omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent, simultaneously transcendent and immanent, is that it requires no more "effort" for Him to care about us and our problems than not to. And by "us" and "our," I mean the lives and concerns of all self-aware, reasoning beings of free will, all through the universe/s-- since I believe all such creatures would be God's children.

And if God really had better things to do than be interested in such beings, why would He have created them at all? Wouldn't he have been too busy with those other things to bother?

I think He created us because He does care, and because He wishes to care.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Beliefs that involve gods that are rather unconcerned with things are not likely to catch on or keep people committed.

Why would someone go to the temple or whatever a given religion calls it, give money and time, and bother teaching and spreading their religion, when it doesn't promise very much?

Religions that catch on to the desires and fears of people, require a lot, and promise a lot, seem to be better at spreading.

Rainbow Mage

I think theology is how a human attempts to understand god, but all ultimately falls short.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I think theology is how a human attempts to understand god, but all ultimately falls short.
I see it (god) as more of a creation of the human animal, designed to reinforce the human animal's "special" status in the universe - specifically removing him from his animal heritage, and thereby beginning to destroy our inherent harmony with the natural world. Interesting idea, god is unnatural.

Rainbow Mage

I see it (god) as more of a creation of the human animal, designed to reinforce the human animal's "special" status in the universe - specifically removing him from his animal heritage, and thereby beginning to destroy our inherent harmony with the natural world.

I think some ideas of god may be a creation of the human animal, but not all.

Ninez

I personally views Jehovah relationship with humans as any loving parents relationship with their children with a special interest in our spiritual needs above all else.