• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Hero With A Thousand Faces

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The best introduction to the relationship between relgion, myth, legend, and dream that I know of. Campbell is immensely sensitive to the meaning and nuances of symbols. His greatest flaw as a mythologist is that he is in some ways unfavorably disposed towards Christianity, especially fundamentalism.

Lightkeeper

I have read several of his books and have seen the "Power of Myth" television series several times.

I don't think Joseph Campbell was opposed to Christianity. If you fully understand his works you come to see that he didn't have a personal God. He was in awe of all Mythology. He saw the likenesses in all Myth. He felt it was time for a new Mythology to evolve and I think that is happening now. He was a Star Wars fan and had a friendship with Lucas. I think Campbell felt that Star Wars was part of the new evolving Mythology.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I agree with you, Lightkeeper, that Campbell envisioned an evolving world mythology. He makes that clear in the fourth volume of “Masks of God” – where he likens the world’s several mythologies to themes in a single, grand symphony.

But I should insist that in some specific ways Campbell was unfavorably disposed towards Christianity. For instance, he saw it (along with Judaism and Islam) as promulgating “mythologies of war” – as encouraging “Us versus Them” thinking – and he disapproved of that. (His occasional opposition to Christianity is not something I would personally hold against him – but I cannot speak for others.)

I have never read anyone more sensitive to the meaning of symbols than Campbell. I think that whoever studies him will find a highly useful and rich new way of looking at myth and religious symbols.