• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The I'm proud to be straight thread

Here's how it works. Those of us who are straight state why we are proud to be as we are, and share a little about ourselves if we like.

ron4711

Here's how it works. Those of us who are straight state why we are proud to be as we are, and share a little about ourselves if we like.

What is your pride based on? Is it something you had to work long and hard to achieve or is it just the way you are. I have brown hair for instance, but I'm not proud of it. Now if I was bald and sprouted some hair, yes, I might be proud of that achievement.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I haven't yet told my parents that I'm straight
Man, I'm here for you if you need support when you come out to them.
I never came out to mine when they were alive. At least you can.
Er....that is you can come out to your parents, not mine.
They're dead. Er....that is my parents are dead, not yours.
Can I start over with this?

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It doesn't seem to me as something to be proud of, it's just a preference.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Then what's with the "Proud to be LGBT" thread?

After all it's just a preference.

In principle, that sentiment doesn't make much sense to me. It is also obvious however that in the case of the LGBT community it mostly exists because their preference has been made out into a big deal by others, enough to oppress them because of it.

As such, the sentiment is much more understandable in that context. It's a reaction to oppression. When someone tries to shame you about something like your sexual preference, saying that you're proud of it is much more understandable.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Then what's with the "Proud to be LGBT" thread?

After all it's just a preference.

Who could have seen THAT coming. lol
Do you think it requires bravery to declare your homosexuality to your parents,friends,coworkers or teammates?
Do you think it requires bravery to declare your heterosexuality to your parents,friends,coworkers or teammates?

If you think the answer to those questions is the same then fair enough. You're wrong, but I understand your view and hope it's reality soon.

If you think the answers are different, you might be showing your prejudices.

Galen.Iksnudnard

What a ridiculous thread.

If this is supposed to be a joke, it's not funny. In fact it's in quite bad taste.

Straight people have literally nothing, I repeat NOTHING to be proud of. It's not as if they've "earned" being straight by working hard themselves. No they just happened to be born into societies that don't discriminate against them for who they are.

The only reason for a thread like this - like a thread about "white pride" is to rub it in the faces of those whom you oppress about how much better you have it than they do.

Seriously, get a life.

Last edited:

ron4711

Do you think it requires bravery to declare your homosexuality to your parents,friends,coworkers or teammates?
Do you think it requires bravery to declare your heterosexuality to your parents,friends,coworkers or teammates?

If you think the answer to those questions is the same then fair enough. You're wrong, but I understand your view and hope it's reality soon.

If you think the answers are different, you might be showing your prejudices.

I think just going around declaring your straightness causes some people to raise an eyebrow. Either you are a bigot or are denying something others see in you :)

Galen.Iksnudnard

In principle, that sentiment doesn't make much sense to me. It is also obvious however that in the case of the LGBT community it mostly exists because their preference has been made out into a big deal by others, enough to oppress them because of it.

As such, the sentiment is much more understandable in that context. It's a reaction to oppression. When someone tries to shame you about something like your sexual preference, saying that you're proud of it is much more understandable.

When there is an in-group/out-group dynamic, celebrating the in-group implicitly celebrates the overall dynamic - and therefore any unfairness inherent in it - in a way that celebrating the out-group does not.

Pride is the opposite of shame. So when people try to shame you for your preference you counter with pride.

It is better than calling the ones that are trying to shame "jerks"

I'm going to have to give you frubals for this. In fact, frubals all around for those who are standing up to homophobia, hatred and discrimination.

By the way, I'm straight and PROUD to be an ally.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The only reason for a thread like this - like a thread about "white pride" is to rub it in the faces of those whom you oppress about how much better you have it than they do.
You're accusing the OP of oppressing homosexuals?
How on Earth can you presume this?

Galen.Iksnudnard

You're accusing the OP of oppressing homosexuals?
How on Earth can you presume this?

I'm not saying that he specifically is oppressing members of the LGBTQI community.

It is a bit rude and insensitive though, considering the respective situations of the LGBTQI community and the dominant heterosexual one.