• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The inner life of Islam

Onkara

Hi
I have recently read this article, which is a little too long to post here. The author captures some interesting thoughts about the inner life of Islam. There is a certain depth and maturity in his writing which has prompted me to post here.

If anyone has read it or feels like reading it and posting their thoughts and opinions, I would be curious to read them :)
Link: Al-Serat journal

Here is a quote, on which one could focus their comments if they wish, if this becomes debatable the mods may wish to move this thread:

" The goal of the inward life in Islam is to reach the Divine as both the Transcendent and the Imminent. It is to gain a vision of God as the Reality beyond all determination and at the same time of the world as "plunged in God". It is to see God everywhere.[18] The inward dimension is the key for the understanding of metaphysics and traditional cosmology as well as for the penetration into the essential meaning of religion and of all religions, for at the heart of every authentic religion lies the one Truth which resides also at the heart of all things and most of all of man. There are of course differences of perspective and of form."

Last edited:

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
I always enjoy reading Irfan books...

Here is a definition of the word Irfan from the wikipedia..

"Irfan also spelt eerfan (Arabic/Persian/Urdu: عرفان) literally means knowing. Sometimes it is transliterated as Erfan. It is used to refer both to Islamic mysticism as well as the attainment of direct spiritual knowledge. In the latter sense it is often translated in English as gnosis. Those with the name are sometimes referred to as having an insight into the unseen.

In Twelver Shi'a Islam, the term refers specifically to the discipline of mystical knowledge within religious teachings. In this respect Irfan overlaps considerably with Sufism in both meaning and content..."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irfan

The latest book about Irfan that i read was called "the chemistry of love", which was about the life of an Iranian "Aarif" whose main goal of life was to attain proximity to God, and people notices the transformation he went through...it was very interesting book..

I read the book in arabic, it was translated from Farsi:
here is : ISBN: 964-5985-66-8

I just starting to discover Seyyed Hossein Nasr ...
It seems that he is very good writer.