• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kairos, the Peak Experience

PivotalSyntax

Spiritual Luftmensch
How does a layman like me, with no religious affiliation--merely dispositions--, achieve a peak experience... the kairos... moments of enlightenment?

Marble

Rolling Marble
You could try Zen meditation.
While Zen originated in Buddhism, it is not necessary to be a Buddhist to practise Zen meditation.

A

angellous_evangellous

Put six Oreos in a glass of milk.

Eat them with a fork before they get soggy.

Drink the milk.

====

Do that at precisely 3pm CST every day for 40 days.

Then you will actualize kairos.

Bob Dixon

>implying

Drink the milk.

====

I also recommend this.
I did this and got instant results.

Although, I did it at 4pm GMT... so it took me 50 days. Go figure.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Drink the milk.

====

What? No sprinkles? How do you expect any kind of actualization without sprinkles?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
How does a layman like me, with no religious affiliation--merely dispositions--, achieve a peak experience... the kairos... moments of enlightenment?

It seems such experiences are like the breeze. That is, they come and go for reasons beyond your control. However, you can do something. You can do the equivalent of opening the windows and doors so that when they come, they are not blocked.

Apparently, many things block them, including expectations, desires, and fears. But it seems those blocks can be seen for what they are and dealt with through some forms of meditation. Hence, you might try finding someone who will teach you how to meditate.

Not all forms of meditation are equal. Some forms amount to self-fulfilling prophecies. You set out to find something -- such as god -- and you end up finding a god that matches your expectations. You set out to find a peak experience, and you end up finding a peak experience that matches your expectations. The problem with that seems to be that what matches your expectations is almost certain to be no more than your mind can conceive.

I recommend finding someone to teach you a form of meditation that does not produce self-fulfilling prophecies. That does not result in something no greater than what you could dream up anyway.

CynthiaCypher

It seems such experiences are like the breeze. That is, they come and go for reasons beyond your control. However, you can do something. You can do the equivalent of opening the windows and doors so that when they come, they are not blocked.

Apparently, many things block them, including expectations, desires, and fears. But it seems those blocks can be seen for what they are and dealt with through some forms of meditation. Hence, you might try finding someone who will teach you how to meditate.

Not all forms of meditation are equal. Some forms amount to self-fulfilling prophecies. You set out to find something -- such as god -- and you end up finding a god that matches your expectations. You set out to find a peak experience, and you end up finding a peak experience that matches your expectations. The problem with that seems to be that what matches your expectations is almost certain to be no more than your mind can conceive.

I recommend finding someone to teach you a form of meditation that does not produce self-fulfilling prophecies. That does not result in something no greater than what you could dream up anyway.

Jesus said that about the Holy Spirit, it is like the wind.

now about what you said about peak experiences:

Maslow said so himself. The more you talk about peak experiences...the more likely you will have one. Most people have had them in childhood but we have forgotten them.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend PS,

Personal experience/understanding is that if one is looking for a *PEAK* means he is in a valley and life is in the valley and not the peaks as after the climb one has to come down to live.
So one attempts to live in the Valleys at all times as peaks can be seen and climbing is not an obsession ever fallen down to. Meaning it is that very MIND that looks for anything like PEAK experience is itself that needs to be transcended and that is when that mind is STILLED. Stilling one's mind is what *meditation* is all about.

*Continuum Consciousness* is the state which is the state you may be referring to which am stating as the VALLEY and not PEAK; is all about PRACTICE and energy conserved for the lamp to remain lit.

Love & rgds

Straw Dog

As a fellow layman, and someone who doesn't know what the hell they are talking about, I highly recommend not trying too hard to achieve moments of enlightenment. If you can abide in the changing nature of things as they are within the changing nature of self as it it with some degree of equanimity, then you will come to realize absolutely nothing. There is nothing to learn and nothing to attain. The search for enlightenment is a quest for the endless, a journey into eternity. There is no end point, but then again I don't really take enlightenment all that seriously. Have fun!