• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The many ways President Trump would benefit from the GOP’s tax plan"

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
President Trump has defended the Republican effort to overhaul taxes by calling it a bitter pill for the rich, saying its provisions will boost the middle class and make him a “big loser” if it’s approved.

But tax experts and a nonpartisan analysis suggest he’ll fare far better than others as a result of the changes. From sweeping estate and business tax cuts to specific relief targeting real estate interests, the tax overhaul would directly benefit Trump’s family and business in a way that could save him tens of millions of dollars a year.

Provisions favorable to Trump can be found in the Republican tax bills from both the House and the Senate, the latter of which debuted Thursday. They would offer terms favorable to America’s ultra-wealthy and preserve exemptions and carve-outs for golf course owners, investors and real estate entrepreneurs.

“The notion that the president wouldn’t benefit is absurd,” said Steven M. Rosenthal, a senior fellow at the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center who has reviewed the bills. “In either plan, he benefits immensely.”

The many ways President Trump would benefit from the GOP’s tax plan

If you cut taxes for the ultra-rich then were does the missing difference come from?

tytlyf

Not Religious
Democrats want to give the middle class tax cuts and raise taxes on the wealthy. (the wealthy don't pay their advertised rate as it is)

Republicans want to give the wealthy and corporations tax cuts and raise taxes on the middle class. The GOP will tell you that giving these 1%'rs tax cuts will create jobs for the middle class. A lie.

pearl

If you cut taxes for the ultra-rich then were does the missing difference come from?

I think it was apparent very shortly after Trump took office that what we had elected to the most powerful position in the world was a family dynasty. One look at his cabinet appointments reveals the rest of the plan for the super wealthy.

Anyone ever read Taylor Caldwell"s 'Captains and the Kings'?.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It's just the same ol' Republican smoke & mirrors game, and I hope most Americans don't fall for it again.

whirlingmerc

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
It cost money to run the country, to pay for roads, to pay for schools, to pay for the army, etc.

So my question is: If you cut taxes on the ultra-rich where does the difference come from? @BSM1 are you willing to pay that difference? How about you @whirlingmerc?

Where does this money come from? Think about it.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
It cost money to run the country, to pay for roads, to pay for schools, to pay for the army, etc.

So my question is: If you cut taxes on the ultra-rich where does the difference come from? @BSM1 are you willing to pay that difference? How about you @whirlingmerc?

Where does this money come from? Think about it.

Talk about fear mongering! We are 19 trillion--that's trillion--with a "t" in debt now. It's not a matter of replacing the money, it's a matter of not spending what we don't have. You could take every dollar that the "rich" have and still not cover the debt. This fallacy of replacing tax dollars sure plays well with the ignorant takers in this society.

metis

Conservative voters lead the charge for lower taxes and deregulation. They somehow think that this is good for them and their neighbors.
Yep.

After Sweden recovered rather nicely in the late 1990's from watching their economy going down over the decade preceding it, the retired finance minister was asked how he managed to spearhead their economic success. His two-word response when interviewed was "Higher taxes". Now, tell that to a conservative who doesn't understand basic economics and watch his head explode.

Some people tend to think that when one is taxed that their money must somehow disappear, but that ain't the case. Instead, as you well know, wisely spent taxes can be used to stimulate growth in areas more likely to benefit society as a whole. For example, helping the poor has a much stronger benefit under normal circumstances than helping the wealthy because the poor are more likely to spend most of it locally, which is where we would want the growth to begin. With the rich, we don't know if they'll spend it there or even spend any of it domestically.

metis

The biggest "takers" in American society are the large corporations and the wealthy, who can finagle myriads of tax breaks that us peons can't. They are not "ignorant"-- they're just trying to get the most out of their investments and we're dumb enough to let them get these breaks while we're paying the shortfall they help to create.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
Just curious, how much of someone else's money do you feel entitled to?

Enough to even out this graph.

IMG_5913.JPG

It's either provided as fair wages for labor, or taken as taxes to provide goods and services.

I'd prefer the former, but I'm not one of the ones making the bad choices. Funny. . . there's a 99% chance that you'd be helped as well if this graph were more equitable.

Last edited:

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
It's just the same ol' Republican smoke & mirrors game, and I hope most Americans don't fall for it again.

Wedge issues and religion in politics practically ensure that a proportion of then population vote against their own self-interests.

The right-wing are the ones perpetuating the culture war. If it were called the standard of living war or the wage gap war, they'd have already lost three decades ago.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Talk about fear mongering! We are 19 trillion--that's trillion--with a "t" in debt now. It's not a matter of replacing the money, it's a matter of not spending what we don't have. You could take every dollar that the "rich" have and still not cover the debt. This fallacy of replacing tax dollars sure plays well with the ignorant takers in this society.

That is not fear mongering. :rolleyes:

"It's not a matter of replacing the money, it's a matter of not spending what we don't have"

Well then good thing we are increasing military spending at the same time we are cutting taxes.

"We are 19 trillion--that's trillion--with a "t" in debt now."

And so you don't care if they deepen that? I am not sure what your argument is here, as their purposed tax plan will likely increase the national debt.

"This fallacy of replacing tax dollars sure plays well with the ignorant takers in this society."

The money has to come from somewhere, money does not grow on trees, @BSM1.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Enough to even out this graph.

View attachment 19601
It's either provided as fair wages for labor, or taken as taxes to provide goods and services.

I'd prefer the former, but I'm not one of the ones making the bad choices. Funny. . . there's a 99% chance that you'd be helped as well if this graph were more equitable.
There's a problem with trying to reduce this gap by taxation.
It doesn't address causes.....
- Cultural aversion to work.
- Automation is eliminating jobs.
Moreover, increasing taxation has risks....
- Increased revenue leads to increased spending.
- Increased taxation can cause the flight of money & labor.

Any solution should address....
- Making lower skill people productive.
- A comprehensive tax policy designed to provide needed revenue without encouraging
capital flight overseas or discouraging productivity & entrepreneurial risk taking.

So far, no major political party is analyzing things this way.
Both seem more about pandering for votes.

Last edited: