• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Martyrdom of James Reeb

Davidium

Ladies and Gentlemen, my brothers and sisters in faith,

Fourty one years ago today, a young UU Minister from Boston, named James Reeb, died a Martyr. He and two other ministers, all white, were attacked by a white mob in Selma Alabama a few days earlier, on March 9th. Reeb died on March 11th from the head wounds he received in that beating.

Reeb had come to the south to work for Civil Rights, and to march with Rev. Martin Luther King. He had come because his faith called him to do so, and he died a martyr. A white martyr for the cause of civil rights and racial justice.

His death prompted the U.S. Government to pass and sign the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

To learn more about James Reeb, perhaps you could visit the following links.

http://www.uua.org/news/reeb/nyt030800.html

http://myhero.com/myhero/hero.asp?hero=Reeb_Dublin_03

http://www.massmoments.org/moment.cfm?mid=75

Perhaps, as you read this, you might sit in silence for a moment and think of James Reeb, and all those who have died in the cause of Racial Justice.

Yours in Faith,

David

Nozem

Thanks for posting that David, I just feel so humble reading the links about James Reeb. The courage that he had in trying to confront injustice seemed awesome. Also remember the other individuals, both black and white, who were beaten and killed in the civil rights struggle.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Davidium said:
Reeb had come to the south to work for Civil Rights, and to march with Rev. Martin Luther King. He had come because his faith called him to do so, and he died a martyr.
Rev. Reeb was at one time an associate minister at my church. There's a plaque commemorating his sacrifice in the main hall outside of the current senior minister's office. So every time I have an appointment to talk with him, I sit staring at the legacy of Jim Reeb. Kinda puts one in a sobering mood.

Davidium said:
A white martyr for the cause of civil rights and racial justice.

His death prompted the U.S. Government to pass and sign the Voting Rights Act of 1965.
Yeah, because we don't care how many blacks are killed for the cause of civil rights, but have a white person die and the whole country takes notice.

I think it important to keep in mind that James Reeb did not go to Selma expecting to die. He went, as David said, because his faith called him. His conscience demanded of him that he march on the side of justice. I'd like to think that had he not been killed and simply continued to fight for justice that justice would have prevailed anyway. It was the act of actively joining with the civil rights movement instead of sitting comfortably at home, watching it on tv, that was the sacrifice that mattered. When we think of James Reeb, let's think of his life and not his death.