• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Nature of Divinity in Zoroastrianism.

PalmettoPatriot

Respect all who love God
Early in Jewish tradition, it is believed that there may indeed be other Gods, but that none others were as powerful as the Hebrew God and that these minor beings, if they existed, did not matter. Later Judaism stated emphatically that other gods were fantasies. What is the Zoroastrian concept of God? Do Zoroastrians believe in a single supreme being or in a collective Jungian view of God that all deities are different aspects of the Creator? Or does God share equality with his evil opposite?

I want to thank you all for your time and effort to answer these questions I am posing today.

PalmettoPatriot

Respect all who love God
As a secondary question; do you as a Zoroastrian consider the Abrahamic God to be identical to your own? Do you or do you not feel that Ahriman is identical to the Hebraic concept of Satan?

El_Majusi

In Zoroastrianism we believe in the good essence of God; God is good, goodness, goodness is God. Among material elements likewise among spiritual ones. There are many gods, indeed, but all of them share the same essence as the Highest One, First and Last of All creation Ahura Mazda the most beneficent, the Bountiful. So, yes, we can consider them as Its aspects. All of them have been created by Ahura Mazda, the Creator, the Omniscient.
As to your question "does God share equality with his evil opposite?" I answer this: nothing, none, is equal to God. No element equates the Whole, and in many elements evil exist, so, definitely, God is supreme. Evil is secondary regarding It. (It is God).

I don't personally consider Ahura Mazda to be identical to YHWH. The Bible and the Avesta seem different to me, and they don't seem to have the same inspirer.
Ahriman and Satan represent evil, but there is a primal difference between those, which is: while Satan rises up, opposes God, and perverts mankind, in Zoroastrianism Angra Mainyu (aka Ahriman), a wrong form of spiritual being, is empowered by the disability of a part of mankind to choose righteously (30:3).

I hope it is clearer. If you have other questions, dare to ask:yes:! Congratulations for your curiosity!