• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Oldest Language In The World?

A

angellous_evangellous

isn't it semi languages, like Hebrew, Arabic..?

I think you being Muslim gave you that idea :D But, definetly not. A language originated within the Indian subcontinent. Probably Sanskrit. If Hinduism is the oldest language in the world, then sanskrit must be. The first texts in Hinduism were in sanskrit...

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i vote for Runes :) but it will take me weeks to dig up the information and sources i would need to argue that case, so don't take my word on that.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
As far i have read/ seen, the general view is Tamil/Sanskrit. I save seen Persian in some places.

Anyone else have any others?

For languages still in use, Sanskrit seems a fair bet to me. I'm no authority though.

For languages no longer in use, Indo-European or proto Indo-European have been extensively reconstructed.

Troublemane

I thought Eldarin and those other languages in Lord of the Rings were before all the rest!
...but thats just cuz im a geek :D

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Well, as the Anthropology major in college, I must say I've heard arguements for many languages:

Tamil-Sanskrit, Hebrew, Phrygian, Anishinabaemowin, etc....

The oldest known language that I know of is what the Sumerians spoke... as they are the supposed first civilazation. I can't remember the "proper" term for it, but it is unlike any known language that has decended down to us today. I believe it dates to about 3100 BC... cuneiform was the written part, but I forget the term for the spoken. (I can't help but wonder if this is the language that Ashurbanipal bragged about being about to read circa 600BC - the writing before the flood as he called it).

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
I think you being Muslim gave you that idea :D But, definetly not. A language originated within the Indian subcontinent. Probably Sanskrit. If Hinduism is the oldest language in the world, then sanskrit must be. The first texts in Hinduism were in sanskrit...

I was unaware that Hindu was a language.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Oh come on, folks. Why are we talking about all these written or historically known johnny-come-latelys? 100,000 years ago, long before anything resembling any known language or even language Family, people were probably telling stories around their campfires.

The language of the San may be the unique representative of the most ancient known language Family, but, of course, even this is a modern iteration that would be incomprehensible to their ancestors.

Languages are not static. They change continuously.
Sanskrit, Athabascan, Hebrew, San -- all have fully-dveloped antecedents that recede for tens, perhaps hundreds of thousands of years, into the darkness of prehistory.

Unless we can go back a hundred thousand years or so we can't begin to guess at the origins of language, much less discover an "oldest" language