• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ordination of Homosexuals

Should we ordain homosexuals?

• yes I feel strongly that we should

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • no we shouldn't

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • I am in between on this issue

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hannahrose1209

*~Forever Wondering~*
Just like any other person who feels lik they are being called to preach the Word of the Lord. Should we ordain open homosexuals who feel called to lead the church? Please explain your why or why not!

Please help me out!! I would really appriciate your opinions on this touchy subject!!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm sternly opposed to randomly ordaining homosexuals regardless of whether or not they have asked to be ordained. I find the practice of randomly ordaining to be intrusive and uncalled for.

lunamoth

Will to love
I'm sternly opposed to randomly ordaining homosexuals regardless of whether or not they have asked to be ordained. I find the practice of randomly ordaining to be intrusive and uncalled for.
Good point Phil! One should never be ordained against their will.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Should we ordain open homosexuals? Why???

Please help me out!! I would really appriciate your opinions on this touchy subject!!
So long as they are celibate, then there should be no conflict with Christian belief.

If it was up to me i would allow anyone with sincere belief in God and who wanted to be ordained to be so, but then i don't base my moral opinions on those of 3,000 year old bigoted text writers. :)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
GIven the fact that perhaps every church or religion of man has "ordained" homosexuals in the past, I see no reason why it is even an issue. Priestly types are just able to come out of the closet now. Big deal, really. I do not understand why heterosexual people would be the slightest bit surprised lol. Hmmm. Men who like to hang out with other men in an all male environment... for the love of their father? *Imagines Freud giggling in his grave*

LumpHammer

It would be interesting to see what percentage of the existing ordainee's are in fact gay anyway... I am led to believe it is higher than the population average...by quite a margin.

A

angellous_evangellous

It would be interesting to see what percentage of the existing ordainee's are in fact gay anyway... I am led to believe it is higher than the population average...by quite a margin.

Interesting that a high number of homosexuals would be attracted to a religion that traditionally berates them.

I've been in and around seminaries for the past eight years, and the ones that I've been at had about 10% homosexuals.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I think it's incredibly sad that if a person wants to worship and lead others to a loving god, their sexuality has to come into the equation of their competency.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Hmmmm.....

What about non-theistic faiths?

My own particular school of Buddhism ordains men and women without regard to their sexuality or lack thereof.

LumpHammer

I think it's incredibly sad that if a person wants to worship and lead others to a loving god, their sexuality has to come into the equation of their competency.

Even if their chosen faith condemns them as inhuman? In shariah law, it is still punishable by death. And it is still pretty clear as day in the bible.
edited... (I selected 'no' on this basis - to avoid confusion - I am absolutely not anti-gay)

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I've noticed alot of Homosexuals are Athiest anyways, because thier lifestyle conflicts with the teachings of God. how could a practicing homosexual preach the word of God? Sexual sins in relation to seriousness are next to that of Murder and Denying the Holy Ghost. How can one preach repentance without repenting themselves? you cannot be in sin whatsoever and ask for forgiveness.

And yes, According to Christianity, homosexuality is a grevious Sin.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I've noticed alot of Homosexuals are Athiest anyways, because thier lifestyle conflicts with the teachings of God. how could a practicing homosexual preach the word of God? Sexual sins in relation to seriousness are next to that of Murder and Denying the Holy Ghost. How can one preach repentance without repenting themselves? you cannot be in sin whatsoever and ask for forgiveness.

And yes, According to Christianity, homosexuality is a grevious Sin.
I would note that this statement should read, "because their lifestyle conflict with the alledged teachings of God." Small potatoes, but a distinct difference. It is not my fault that most religions of the world condemn homosexually and were likely founded by bigotted homophobes.

As far as chastity goes, I don't believe for a second that "god" gives a fiddler's damn about it one way or the other. I can only wonder why people are so hung up on the subject. Do hetersexuals have a closer connection to their god? Not likely.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Even if their chosen faith condemns them as inhuman? In shariah law, it is still punishable by death. And it is still pretty clear as day in the bible.
edited... (I selected 'no' on this basis - to avoid confusion - I am absolutely not anti-gay)

Please quote the ayat where it says that homosexuals are "inhuman."

Booko

Deviled Hen

I question how many homosexuals you actually know well enough to judge their religious beliefs.

If I were gay and saw some of the stuff you've posted here, I wouldn't confide anything beyond the weather report.

As for sexual sins and preaching the word of God, we seem not to mind so much if the sexual sin is adultery, which actually breaks up families and often leaves children destitute.

Funny how that works. :sarcastic:

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I would note that this statement should read, "because their lifestyle conflict with the alledged teachings of God." Small potatoes, but a distinct difference. It is not my fault that most religions of the world condemn homosexually and were likely founded by bigotted homophobes.

As far as chastity goes, I don't believe for a second that "god" gives a fiddler's damn about it one way or the other. I can only wonder why people are so hung up on the subject. Do hetersexuals have a closer connection to their god? Not likely.

I do believe the Bible and the Book of Mormon to be the word of god, and it speaks very harshly against breaking the law of chastity, so much in fact that it is better that you should be chaste than to condemn yourself to hell.

And that the "natual man is an enemy to god" that we are to rise above ourselves and become as saints if we wish to be called his children. which includes the law of Chastity, including but not limited to, pronography, masturbation, homosexuality, fornication, sex before being legally and lawfully wedded.

These sins to us are almost on par with the shedding of innocent blood.

But lets agree to disagree.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
It's my thought that if an Abrahamic follower wanted to become a minister of some sort he/she would find a congregation that was open to worship/leadership by one who's sexuality was not considered anathema to God.

Not every follower of Christianity/Judaism/Islam believes God/Allah's word was written to be completely accepted without fault. The words were written by men as you know. It's a huge leap of faith to consider religious writings are completely without fault when penned by the hand of man.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
every Gay person (and i have known more than "just a few") has been either athiest, or a christian and hypocrite.

Or God forbid, just another flawed Christian like you. Unless you claim to be sinless anyway, but I haven't seen you claim that yet.

and i look on here on the forums mostly i see titles that say "Athiest Queer" and things of that nature.
Gee, I wonder why? Could it be that a lack of human compassion drove them away?