• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The OT today

Tiberius

Do the laws and whatnot in the OT apply to us in today's society?

If you say that some of them apply while others don't, please provide a method by which I can determine whether a particular law/instruction from the OT applies today without having to ask you regarding that specific example.

RedJamaX

Looking for an adaptive methodology in religious scripture... I like the challenge you've presented here.

I propose that, regardless of what any OT proponent offers as an answer, the truth is that if some "OT law" aligns with what is viewed as socially acceptable (don't steal), then that law applies. It a particular "OT law" does not align with what is currently deemed socially acceptable (stone unruly children TO DEATH), then that law does not apply.

Also, it should be noted that socially acceptable OT laws may differ from one culture to the next, or from one part of the world to the next.

Based on this methodology, you can clearly see that we human beings are actually responsible for determining our laws. And any attempt to credit this determination of ANY social construct to ANY god is simply an attempt to re-affirm a belief you already have.

rusra02

Premium Member

If you say that some of them apply while others don't, please provide a method by which I can determine whether a particular law/instruction from the OT applies today without having to ask you regarding that specific example.

I believe the Law that God gave Moses for the nation of Israel is no longer binding or in force. So Christians need not observe a weekly sabbath, for example, as the Mosaic Law requires. (Galatians 3:13, Romans 6:14) The Mosaic Law was fulfilled and replaced by the law of Christ.(Galatians 6:2)
Does this mean the Hebrew Scriptures do not apply to us? I believe they certainly do apply. Any sacred pronouncement of God can give us insight into God's thinking. Many of the commands stated in the Law of Moses were restated as binding on Christians. (Romans 13:9,10) The examples in the history recorded in the Hebrew Scriptures, as well as prophecies and direction given, are IMO, part of the "All Scripture ...inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness,*so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 3:16,17)

CMike

I believe the Law that God gave Moses for the nation of Israel is no longer binding or in force. So Christians need not observe a weekly sabbath, for example, as the Mosaic Law requires. (Galatians 3:13, Romans 6:14) The Mosaic Law was fulfilled and replaced by the law of Christ.(Galatians 6:2)
Does this mean the Hebrew Scriptures do not apply to us? I believe they certainly do apply. Any sacred pronouncement of God can give us insight into God's thinking. Many of the commands stated in the Law of Moses were restated as binding on Christians. (Romans 13:9,10) The examples in the history recorded in the Hebrew Scriptures, as well as prophecies and direction given, are IMO, part of the "All Scripture ...inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness,*so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 3:16,17)
The only way to fulfill the law is to keepe the law.

G-D said in Deuterenomy 13:1 not to add nor subtract from the law.

So assuming you care about jewish law, it's perpertual, and it can't be added to nor subtracted from.

Wherenextcolumbus

I thought the good book says the sabbath should be observed forever? As in forever. Did god change his mind?

rusra02

Premium Member
The only way to fulfill the law is to keepe the law.

G-D said in Deuterenomy 13:1 not to add nor subtract from the law.

So assuming you care about jewish law, it's perpertual, and it can't be added to nor subtracted from.

Jesus did fulfill the Law perfectly.(Matthew 5:17,18) As Romans 10:4 says; "For Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have righteousness."

rusra02

Premium Member
I thought the good book says the sabbath should be observed forever? As in forever. Did god change his mind?

I believe that the sabbath was not to be observed forever. Exodus 31:16 says; " And the sons of Israel must keep the sabbath, so as to carry out the sabbath during their generations. It is a covenant to time indefinite. Between me and the sons of Israel it is a sign to time indefinite." Note also that only the Jews were required to keep the sabbath, not non-Jews. The period of required sabbath keeping for the Jews would be indefinite. The Hebrew word ʽoh·lam′ does not, in itself, mean forever. Because the Jews violated the Law repeatedly, eventually Jehovah would replace the Law covenant with a better covenant.

CMike

I believe that the sabbath was not to be observed forever. Exodus 31:16 says; " And the sons of Israel must keep the sabbath, so as to carry out the sabbath during their generations. It is a covenant to time indefinite. Between me and the sons of Israel it is a sign to time indefinite." Note also that only the Jews were required to keep the sabbath, not non-Jews. The period of required sabbath keeping for the Jews would be indefinite. The Hebrew word ʽoh·lam′ does not, in itself, mean forever. Because the Jews violated the Law repeatedly, eventually Jehovah would replace the Law covenant with a better covenant.

A better covenant than G-d already made?

So G-d made mistakes the first time?

That's pretty arrogant.

Shermana

Heretic
Jesus did fulfill the Law perfectly.(Matthew 5:17,18) As Romans 10:4 says; "For Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have righteousness."

"Telos" does not mean "Termination" by "End" necessarily, it can also mean "The final touches".

Flankerl

Sounds like a pretty important point which should be pointed out in the first version of the book shouldnt it?

Also fun stuff you quote.
"Between me and the sons of Israel it is a sign to time indefinite"

lol

And the book of Flankerl states "btw that stuff the christians came up with is null and void."

Prove me wrong.

Shermana

Heretic

The only thing it says about the Covenant for ISRAEL AND JUDAH (yes ISRAEL AND JUDAH) being better in Jeremiah 31 is that it would be written in their hearts, without having to be taught. That's about it.

Also, where is "Olam" used in the non-eternal sense?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I believe the Law that God gave Moses for the nation of Israel is no longer binding or in force. So Christians need not observe a weekly sabbath, for example, as the Mosaic Law requires. (Galatians 3:13, Romans 6:14) ...

For Jews, it states in both Torah and Tanakh that the Law is perpetual and that us Jews must follow it. But if you're a gentile, the Law doesn't apply to you anyway, so the observance of Shabbat is not mandatory for you.

rusra02

Premium Member
A better covenant than G-d already made?

So G-d made mistakes the first time?

That's pretty arrogant.

I did not say God made mistakes. The Jewish nation repeatedly violated the Law, and were eventually rejected by God. As the Bible explains; "For if that first covenant had been faultless, no place would have been sought for a second; for he does find fault with the people when he says: “‘Look! There are days coming,’ says Jehovah, ‘and I will conclude with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah a new covenant; not according to the covenant that I made with their forefathers in the day of my taking hold of their hand to bring them forth out of the land of Egypt, because they did not continue in my covenant, so that I stopped caring for them,’ says Jehovah.” (Hebrews 8:7-9)

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Some apply and others don't depending on your particular biases and agenda. There's so much to pick and choose from, you're sure to find a combination of biblical laws that suit your specific needs.