• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Pentagram Is A Christian Symbol

ΩRôghênΩ

Disciple of Light
The pentagram was used in the middle-ages to represent the 5 wounds of christ, and is now used today along-side the cross to represent either christian wicca, or esoteric christianity.My argument here is that the wiccan symbol came from christianity first (but probably didnt originate from there).

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentacle:

A pentacle or pantacle is a magical amulet, generally made of parchment, paper or metal (although it can be of other materials), on which the symbol of a spirit being evoked is drawn. It is often worn around the neck, or placed within the triangle of evocation. Protective symbols may also be included (sometimes on the reverse), a common one being the five-point Seal of Solomon. Many varieties of pentacle can be found in the grimoires of Solomonic magic; they are also used in some neopagan magical traditions, such as Wicca.

Note that Solomen was the jewish king who jesus was decended from

We now proceed to speak of the holy and sacred Pentacles and Seals. For these pentacles are certain holy signs and characters, preserving us from evil chances and events, helping and assisting us to bind, exterminate, and drive away evil spirits, alluring the good spirits, and reconciling them to us. These pentacles consist either of characters of good spirits of the superior order, or of sacred pictures of holy letters or revelations, with apt and proper versicles, which are composed either of geometrical figures and holy names of God, according to the course and manner of many of them, or they are compounded of all of them, or many of them mixed.
Also note that this is a use for pentagrams in esoteric/occult christianity (Christian Magick)

From http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/anti-masonry/pentagram.html:

Solomonic texts of the Mediaeval period gave great importance to the pentagram, under the name "Solomon's Seal." Gershom Scholem writes, "In Arabic magick, the 'seal of Solomon' was widely used, but at first its use in Jewish circles was restricted to relatively rare cases. Even then, the hexagram and pentagram were easily interchangeable and the name was applied to both figures." Latin versions of Solomonic texts, used the word "pentaculum" to refer to all the various circular devices associated with Solomon's seal, even though most of them do not actually contain a pentagram. [6] The first English mention of a pentagram appears In the legend of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Stanzas 27-28 (1380 c.) where Gawain, traditionally the Celtic sun-hero, carries a shield "...shining gules, With the Pentangle in pure gold depicted thereon."

As we see here the first english mention of the pentagram was from one of the arthurian knights, whom was led by Arthur, being a their Christian leader. Though this does have some draw-backs because Gawain was historiccaly noted for being Paga. Still, if we accept that solomen used this then this precedes Gawain for hundreds of years.

It is a symbol which Solomon conceived once
To betoken holy truth, by its intrinsic right,
For it is a figure which has five points,
And each line overlaps and is locked with another;
And it is endless everywhere, and the English call it,
In all the land, I hear, the Endless Knot.

Comments?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
the pentagram is a symbol of MANY religions. Its mathematical and mystic qualities allow it to be as such. :D

ΩRôghênΩ

Disciple of Light
Im not syaing that its not a symbol of many religions. im saying that it came from christianity before it did from wicca. many wiccans do not know this

Nehustan

00300H_TheSpiritOfGod.gif

Ruach Elohim
= 300 =
00300H_TheLetterShin.gif

Dove_shin.gif

Jeheshuah.jpg

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
~Lord Roghen~ said:
Im not syaing that its not a symbol of many religions. im saying that it came from christianity before it did from wicca. many wiccans do not know this
many christians dont know it either :p

Nehustan

Well Jeheshuah/Jesus instructed his followers to cling to his name. If I can help his followers out with a bit of geometry, its a pleasure :D

Mike182

Flaming Queer
~Lord Roghen~ said:

i knew that! :D

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
~Lord Roghen~ said:
Thanks Nehustan, Frubals for you
Doesn't Nehustan's post indicate that the pentagram came from Judaism before it did from Christianity?

I agree with Buttons*. The pentagram is too big for one religion to lay sole claim to. It was a symbol within many traditions before it became a symbol for Christ's five wounds. Same with the cross, btw. The solar cross existed as a pagan symbol long before Christianity. Should I start a thread titled "The Cross is a Pagan Symbol"? :p

Nehustan

lilithu said:
Doesn't Nehustan's post indicate that the pentagram came from Judaism before it did from Christianity?

I agree with Buttons*. The pentagram is too big for one religion to lay sole claim to. It was a symbol within many traditions before it became a symbol for Christ's five wounds. Same with the cross, btw. The solar cross existed as a pagan symbol long before Christianity. Should I start a thread titled "The Cross is a Pagan Symbol"? :p

Well I guess that Lord Roghen took that as given as Jeheshuah was tribe of Judah. The cross is very interesting. If you look at the Image I posted you will see the 'square' at the front of the geometric image is in fact a cross/pyramid, with the four lettered name (Tetragrammaton) Jahweh being connected with the letter Shin at the 'vanishing point' which paradoxically can be thought to represent the Infinite and Absolute. This image is closley seen in the 'alchemical' imagery of the 'wheels' in Ezekiel and of course the 'beasts' (around the throne) in The Revelation to Sinjun. These of course share semiotics with the four fixed signs as visible from our planet, thus representative of the four elements, with the descending dove representative of the 'Spirit'.

Nehustan

As a further point when it says that Jesus was crucified spiritually in Aegypt, it is thought that it refers to a metaphorical crucifiction inherent by the 'cross/pyramid' in his name, that being Jahweh. It was this that was the real crucifixion that was borne by him with the name Gabriel instructed his mother to give him, rather than upon a wooden cross at Golgotha.

Faint

Lord R... said:
Note that Solomen was the jewish king who jesus was decended from
So then, the symbol predates Christ, as well as Christianity.
Where did Solomon get the symbol?

jonny

You might be interested in this article. I discusses the historic symbolism of inverted stars (pentagram) on some LDS temples. It also discusses the cultural context of the stars and their use by early Christians.

jonny

Adstar said:
The inverted pentagram is a satanic symbol.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days
Since when? According to what I've read it didn't become a Satanic symbol until the late 1800s. If it is Satanic why is it on so many churches in Europe, such as the Marktkirche in Hannover. I've seen this one personally and there's no mistaking the pentagram. It's HUGE and on the main tower of the church.

This is a Luthern church.

Maxist

The Pentacle os used for many religions. In fact, the holy number, 1.618 is contoctud from one sid eof the pentacle being divided by one line in the center. It is mathematicle, and scientific, so you are essentially saying that the Pentagon representd just about everything, which in the case of your argument it does.