• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Pope Shows Concern That People May Be Believing In Things That Don't Exist

The Neo Nerd

New technologies confuse reality and fiction: Pope

ROME - Pope Benedict XVI said on Thursday that the media’s increasing reliance on images, fuelled by the endless development of new technologies, risked confusing real life with virtual reality.

"New technologies and the progress they bring can make it impossible to distinguish truth from illusion and can lead to confusion between reality and virtual reality," the pope said.

"The image can also become independent from reality, it can give birth to a virtual word, with various consequences -- above all the risk of indifference towards real life," he said.

He said the use of new technologies should set off "an alarm bell."
Benedict’s comments came in a speech to participants at a world congress of Catholic media, organised by the Pontifical Council for Social Communications.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
He does kind of have a point about some people becoming total materialistic zombies due to all this new technology.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
He does kind of have a point about some people becoming total materialistic zombies due to all this new technology.
Then again Homo heidelbergensis made the exact same complaint when the atlatl was introduced. Damned kids and their spear throwing and talking back to their elders...

St Giordano Bruno

I believed in many things the Catholic nuns taught me, from an Abrahamic God to the Virgin birth in which I eventually rebelled against as a teenager and still do not believe in any of those things to this day. But there is one doctrine I have never been able to believe, even as a 7 year old child going to Holy Communion, and that is the doctrine of Transubstantiation which. I find it strange that grown old men believe in such a thing.