• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Quakers

Riders

I went to a meeting yesterday Dallas group. They did it on the phone.It was pretty good. We had silence for meditation or prayer for 40 minutes then had folks speak what they felt led to speak. It was awesome Om glad I went.

Just curious if anyone has criticism or debate for The Quakers?

shmogie

I went to a meeting yesterday Dallas group. They did it on the phone.It was pretty good. We had silence for meditation or prayer for 40 minutes then had folks speak what they felt led to speak. It was awesome Om glad I went.

I don't know much about their theology. For the most part what I have heard of them has been positive.
They make tasty breakfast cereal.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

I like their oats...

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

The private boys' boarding school that I attended for my high school years was run by Quakers, and they are, I have to say it, the only Christian sect that has my full approval. There is no hint of forcing anybody else into any sort of belief among the Society of Friends, and a tremendous openness to differences of opinion.

Because of my years in that school, of course, I've been to many Quaker meetings (we had none at school -- they would not force that on students). And one of my favourite religious sites in the world is the Sharon Temple, only a few miles from my school, where even today they have beautiful concerts in a very beautiful venue.
Sharon.jpg

Milton Platt

Well, I am an atheist. but I went to a Quaker meeting in Mexico City about 25 years ago. It was interesting, but not of much value to me.

Riders

I went to sleep last night. I usually leave the tv on or my computer on all night to play episodes of series I watch. But if it goes off I'm stuck with quietness. Then I have trauma sleeping a nightmare something scares me I wake up.
But last night went o sleep woke up no sound, I was too lazy to fix and went back to sleep soundly. I was hearing the Shaker song Tis A Gift. It made me feel peaceful. I slept better last night. I like the positive thoughts The Quakers put in my head.

I do still want to go to my Buddhist group. But I don't know I may stick the Quakers for awhile I liked it.

Bear Wild

I grew up Quaker outside of Philadelphia. The family on my mothers side all were Quakers who settled in Philadelphia starting in 1679 from England. They were always on the liberal side actively trying to protect the Lenape Native Americans being displaced by the incoming settlers and active in the underground railroad from its beginnings. I grew up also with a very liberal interpretation of the bible also. We never had a church to go to because the world was your church.not a building.

Riders

I grew up Quaker outside of Philadelphia. The family on my mothers side all were Quakers who settled in Philadelphia starting in 1679 from England. They were always on the liberal side actively trying to protect the Lenape Native Americans being displaced by the incoming settlers and active in the underground railroad from its beginnings. I grew up also with a very liberal interpretation of the bible also. We never had a church to go to because the world was your church.not a building.

Yes, I love that idea! Dallas church is filled with mostly one God Jewish type God folks and Christians. There were a few folks talking about God without Jesus. It is refreshing.