• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The return of pre-christian religion

To fallingblood - I appreciate your comments. I am familiar with the pristine myth but I agree with Thomas Vale more. There is clearly some conflicting information about the subject but this leads to another interesting question as to why Native Americans changed there relationship from a destructive to a cooperative relationship with nature. There are extensive sources about the Iroquois and Delaware in reference to their relationship with nature. By the 1700s there was a clear nature based religion in these groups. I do not know much about the north American Natives prior to the 1650s. If you know more about this area I would like to know.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
To llwyd blaidd:

It seems that the problem we are having is that you are talking about post 1492 (you mention the 1650's). The information I am presenting is pre-1492 (pre European contact).

After Europeans landed here, and started taking more land than the Native Americans borrowed or gave out, things definitely changed. There was a continual growing connection with the land, as they were loosing it.

As for Europeans and Native Americans becoming allies, it is supported by many historical records. There are numerous cases in which various tribes and groups of Europeans became allies. One of the only reasons that the first Europeans survived was because of Native Americans working with them. We can also see in the various wars (like the War of 1812), in which Native Americans were the allies of the British.

To fallingblood - Appreciate the input. What I wonder is what happened. Could environmental changes caused such an impact that their attitude toward nature change that much. The are records from missionaries who spoke to the Iroquois trying to change their religion. The responses indicate a very intimate connection with nature. In a later speech from Red Jacket of the Seneca, he presents how they see their religion in relation to nature compared to the missionaries. Anyway thanks again for your comments.