• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rich are Buying America's Silence

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
People who want higher taxes are silent?
Oh, if only that were true....

For those of you who don't want to read the article: The "Rich" are paying to keep various institutions silent on topics that those rich people don't want the institutions to address. For example, universities are adjusting their curriculum-s to match the politics of their big donors. So apparently, if you've got a lot of money and you don't believe in evolution, you can pay to keep a given university from teaching evolution.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
For those of you who don't want to read the article: The "Rich" are paying to keep various institutions silent on topics that those rich people don't want the institutions to address. For example, universities are adjusting their curriculum-s to match the politics of their big donors. So apparently, if you've got a lot of money and you don't believe in evolution, you can pay to keep a given university from teaching evolution.
This counter-balances left leaning sources of money pushing their agenda.
Why do the left & right always think only the other side does nefarious things?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
This counter-balances left leaning sources of money pushing their agenda.
Why do the left & right always think only the other side does nefarious things?
Off topic, irrelevant and a distraction from the actual issue being discussed here.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Off topic, irrelevant and a distraction from the actual issue being discussed here.
You think?
This is under <General Debates>, which should allow question begging.
I've been addressing the fact that people have not been silent about wanting higher taxes.
Sure, sure, a case can be made that some people will become reluctant to advocate for it, lest they bite the hand that feeds.
Salon & Reich are trying to make an incomplete picture writ large.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Can you give us a verifiable example?

Skwim

Veteran Member
To one extent or the other the rich have always bought their way in the USA. Nothing new.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Someone openly donating money to schools with the idea that the schools teach course that reflect their ideologies, both left and right, is a far cry from "..the rich paying colleges to keep quiet..." about anything.
It is buying the college to teach and instill young minds with their own ideology which is geared towards giving them an unfair advantage compared to the rest of the US population. That I think is worse than simply telling them to keep silent. I wish I had trillions of dollars to just give away so that I could instill anti-bigotry and the need for green energy but I don't have that.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
It is buying the college to teach and instill young minds with their own ideology which is geared towards giving them an unfair advantage compared to the rest of the US population. That I think is worse than simply telling them to keep silent. I wish I had trillions of dollars to just give away so that I could instill anti-bigotry and the need for green energy but I don't have that.

But this is not what the posters stated. The OP evidently was given to hyperbole and not reality. Isn't this just another example of class envy?

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
But this is not what the posters stated. The OP evidently was given to hyperbole and not reality. Isn't this just another example of class envy?
It is not class envy to want equality between the classes. It is class envy if he is simply mad that they have plenty of money. I actually support higher taxes not just as a form of sustainable funding of the government but as a way to make sure that no individual or corporation becomes too large. I don't think there is any reason for any single individual to have as much money as, lets say the Koch brothers or Bill Gates. It causes a great disruption in the fabric of our economy. I didn't even know quite how much of a hold there was until I studied economics for my master's degree. If I had fifty million dollars I could fix a local economy to work for me for the foreseeable future and it would never end unless another corporation came along or a government stepped in. Much in the same way a handful of corporations pretty much own the US economy.

Laika

Premium Member
Someone openly donating money to schools with the idea that the schools teach course that reflect their ideologies, both left and right, is a far cry from "..the rich paying colleges to keep quiet..." about anything.

Who needs free thought when the minds of the next generation are for sale?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member