• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rise of Paganism

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I would agree with that to a certain extent. The only part I would disagree with is the extent and the organiztion of the unethical practices. Which you coud say were attributed to the decentralization that you mentioned.

I would never claim that all tribes practiced all the unethical practices you listed. Some were definitely better than others.

Doesn't matter to me, much, though. Even if these were the most evil people in the world (which they weren't lol), they'd still be MY most evil people in the world, and for all their faults, I'm proud to have them as my ancestors. :yes:

danieldemol

Premium Member
By ancient, I meant pre Roman occupation of Europe. And yes, I was reffering to the location being in Europe.
Lol, that is a very heavily personalized definition of "ancient" you know. But by your personal definition I would agree that it was not pre-Roman.

Would nature religions work better?
Are you about to spring another very personal definition on me? The Romans had gods for planets, the moon, the sea wildlife, fertility etc

Where? And did Vespasian adhere to the nature "religions" of pre-Christian Europe?
If you are asking where was the colloseum built, it was built in the centre of Rome.

According to wikipedia, While in Egypt Vespasian visited the Temple of Serapis (god consort of Isis who was greek goddess of motherhood, magic and fertility), and during his reign as emporer finished building a statue of Apollo (god of plagues and the sun).

Given that Vespasian subjugated the Jewish uprising at Judea I'm surprised a person of your spiritual background knows so little about him, perhaps you should take the time to familiarize yourself with what is known of him.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
And (excluding colosseum death matches) you can find all of that in the history of Hinduism as well since these things, far from being the unique property of any particular religion, were simply common ancient practices (or in the case of illiteracy common ancient lack of a practice).

And your point is?

Did I ever deny that those things were to be found in Hinduism as well? Did I ever deny it?

You are using ad hominem and it isn't helping your case. The sole reason you brought up Hinduism was because I am a Hindu. The other reason you even replied was because you thought I was talking about bringing back the "violent" era of those religions. And, I was not.

This is why instead of attaching my disagreement to any religion I attached it to the time period itself, which as priorly stated, was not particularly glorious for the common person.

Stuff that happened in 2000BCE - 1500AD would not be "glorious" for the common person and I agree with that.

But, who do you take me for? A fool? Why would I think that all the violent stuff that happened in the history of those pagan religions would be "glorious" for the common person?

You really thought that when I expressed my interest in having those religions be revived that I was insinuating for the violent aspects as well?

M.V.

Last edited:

Leftimies

Dwelling in the Principle
Yep, we all miss the days of death matches in the coliseum, slavery, murder, no human rights, general illiteracy etc.

If you wish for earth/nature based religion etc that's fine, but it is mistaken imo to wish for a "glorious" past that in practice simply was not all that glorious for anyone with the exception of an extremely limited number of nobility.

Roman Empire and Greek states were actually very civilized places to live in, and a lot of our modern civilization globally can be back-tracked to the ways of living that Romans and Greeks established.

Death sentences are still around. At least Colosseum offered a chance of escape from that sentence, for whoever won? Murder? Why are you bringing up murder? I haven't seen it gone away... all in all, you must put these things into perspective.

Especially when the modern western republic model and democracy both stem pretty straightforward from the ancient world. Moreover, with every single age when Europeans started to admire ancient era again, the innovation was abundant: renaissance, for instance.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Roman Empire and Greek states were actually very civilized places to live in, and a lot of our modern civilization globally can be back-tracked to the ways of living that Romans and Greeks established.

Death sentences are still around. At least Colosseum offered a chance of escape from that sentence, for whoever won? Murder? Why are you bringing up murder? I haven't seen it gone away... all in all, you must put these things into perspective.

Especially when the modern western republic model and democracy both stem pretty straightforward from the ancient world. Moreover, with every single age when Europeans started to admire ancient era again, the innovation was abundant: renaissance, for instance.

Good point.

danieldemol

Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3443222 said:
...Did I ever deny that those things were to found in Hinduism as well? Did I ever deny it?
Lol Did I ever accuse you of denying it?

You are using ad hominem...
No I'm not, I didn't attack your character, I disagreed with your statement that the past of Europe was glorious.

The sole reason you brought up Hinduism was because I am a Hindu.
If you are going to raise Abrahamic faiths with a believer in Abraham be prepared for it.

The other reason you even replied was because you thought I was talking about bringing back the "violent" era of those religions...
Quite to the contrary, my post (excluding the point regarding Hindu history) had nothing to do with religion, I felt rightly or wrongly that you were idolising a very non-enviable past.

Stuff that happened in 2000BCE - 1500AD would not be "glorious" for the common person and I agree with that.
Then it seems that we are 100% in agreement on the main point I was putting forward.

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
But the argument was the gloriousness of the nature based traditions, not of the atrocities that were being committed around them. Where the nature based religions the cause of these atrocities?

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
No I'm not, I didn't attack your character, I disagreed with your statement that the past of Europe was glorious.

The past of Europe was glorious as well as not so glorious. To think that it was 100% not glorious is a little too overboard, don't you think?

If you are going to raise Abrahamic faiths with a believer in Abraham be prepared for it.

Same goes for someone saying negative things about Paganism. So, be prepared for it. Your faith isn't top notch. Neither is any other religion in the world. Come down off your high horse, Daniel-son.

Quite to the contrary, my post (excluding the point regarding Hindu history) had nothing to do with religion, I felt rightly or wrongly that you were idolising a very non-enviable past.

It had everything to do with religion. We are talking about religious history. You talked about the negative stuff in pagan history, and I talked about the negative stuff that happened in the history of the Abrahamic faiths.

Then it seems that we are 100% in agreement on the main point I was putting forward.

Still doesn't make sense for you to bring it up thinking I was desiring for the revival of the violent aspects in the history of Paganism. Let's be honest, here, Daniel-son. You actually thought in that noggin of yours that I wanted the revival of the violent aspects found in the history of Paganism. That's the only reason you replied.

M.V.

Last edited:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
But the argument was the gloriousness of the nature based traditions, not of the atrocities that were being committed around them. Where the nature based religions the cause of these atrocities?

Don't worry too much about it. People (non-Pagans) get really scared when others talk about reviving Paganism. They actually believe it entails death matches, slavery, murder, murder, rape, rape, and all that other horrid jazz.

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
Although this is true, it is also true that contributions to civilization were also made by Christian Romans, King Cyrus of Persia, and also to innovations by modern man.

Death sentences are still around. At least Colosseum offered a chance of escape from that sentence, for whoever won?
Are you saying we should abolish the death sentence, or re-introduce death matches? I believe that you are proposing abolition of the death penalty, in which case you do not see the practice of the ancients as glorious in all respects. Perhaps the fact that (if I understand your position correctly) you do not advocate polytheism is also indicative of this. I think that we can (arguably) all agree that the practices of the ancients were neither uniformly good, nor uniformly bad, but that we should sift through their practices in a thoughtful manner taking on that which was good, and leaving behind what we as individuals see as unnecessary.

Why are you bringing up murder?
I meant murder as retribution for expressing a difference of spiritual opinion. In Australia this is a very uncommon occurrence these days.

With every single age when Europeans started to admire ancient era again, the innovation was abundant: renaissance, for instance.

I do believe that the admiration Europeans had for Hellenic civilization was both positive, and thoughtful rather than blind imitation of the ancients.
I'm inclined to think you agree with that anyway, so I'm not stating this in a contradictory manner, although I still hold my original opinion that ancient civilization was not glorious for the common man. I also feel that I am lucky to be alive in these modern times and would not personally be prepared to trade it for life in any prior age.

Believe it or not in my initial statements I did not even speak up to attack polytheism.

I also find it odd that of the two people who initially expressed disagreement with my posts, nash8 has Abrahamic heritage, whilst MV has Hindu heritage. Many of the Hindu exponents explain that in the same way one diamond has many faces, Hinduism is like that one diamond, with each god being like a face of the one. I would have to say then, that although a portion of Hindus do seem to consider themself "pagan", in one way they are the least pagan of the bunch, which makes it all the more strange that the strongest objection should come from a Hindu whilst the people who are polytheist in the more commonly understood sense of the term didn't seem offended, instead acknowledging the need for balance. I'm not really sure what to make of that to be honest.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I also find it odd that of the two people who initially expressed disagreement with my posts, nash8 has Abrahamic heritage, whilst MV has Hindu heritage. Many of the Hindu exponents explain that in the same way one diamond has many faces, Hinduism is like that one diamond, with each god being like a face of the one. I would have to say then, that although a portion of Hindus do seem to consider themself "pagan", in one way they are the least pagan of the bunch, which makes it all the more strange that the strongest objection should come from a Hindu whilst the people who are polytheist in the more commonly understood sense of the term didn't seem offended, instead acknowledging the need for balance. I'm not really sure what to make of that to be honest.

I am a Hindu polytheist. Yes, we exist. Least pagan or not. We are still pagan. And, we are incredibly proud of being pagan.

Last edited:

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
The main point of my argument was that you said death matches in the Collosieum were in ancient Europe. That's what actually caught my eye first. I didn't remember any colliseum's being built in Europe until after Roman occupation.

Secondly, it seemed that you were implying that "pagan" european religions were the direct cause of the atrocities, rather than being a result of the conditions that were present. It is my personal view, albieit an admittedly uninformed one, that the strictly nature based "religions" of aincient Europe were not the cause of these atrocities.

It appears that what we might call modern pagan religion could be seen to start in 1951. This is the year the witchcraft acts of England was repealed. Contributors like Margaret Murray with multiple publications and James Frazer with his book The Golden Bough and C. Leland's book Aradia created an interest and followings prior to 1951, but the repeal of this law seems to be a point were there a new tolerance for pagan religions began. It was during this period when the Aleister Crowley published about pagan rites and the colorful Gerald Gardner was initiated into a coven of witches and after this date he felt comfortable in publishing two of his books. Up to this point there was a belief in a unifying pagan religion based on fertility rites and what information was recorded about witchcraft; mostly collected by the church. This would suggest that the first modern pagan faith was Wicca with its origins coming from the universal old religion.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम

That's a common misconception. Smarthism embraces "all Gods are one God" but many Hindus see one deity as being Supreme, while others are, in some cases, avatars or incarnations, or inferior and not God, but much like spiritual beings that guide us to God. This is especially true in many sects of Vaishnavism.

I believe Shiva is God, and I also believe in many Devas and Devis, as well as Mahadevas and Mahadevis. Ganesha and Murugan are examples of Mahadevas and Mahadevis who can help us through life and bring us closer to God.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3443246 said:
Don't worry too much about it. People (non-Pagans) get really scared when others talk about reviving Paganism. They actually believe it entails death matches, slavery, murder, murder, rape, rape, and all that other horrid jazz.

I have to say I have yet to actually meet or speak with anyone who has held this viewpoint. In fact, every time my religion has come up, I've never had any bad experiences with it in spite of all the "coming out of the broom closet" horror stories that circulate around the internet. :shrug:

danieldemol

Premium Member
That's a common misconception. Smarthism embraces "all Gods are one God" but many Hindus see one deity as being Supreme, while others are, in some cases, avatars or incarnations, or inferior and not God, but much like spiritual beings that guide us to God. This is especially true in many sects of Vaishnavism.

I believe Shiva is God, and I also believe in many Devas and Devis, as well as Mahadevas and Mahadevis. Ganesha and Murugan are examples of Mahadevas and Mahadevis who can help us through life and bring us closer to God.

Do you personally see Shiva or other as supreme, whilst seeing the Mahadevas, Mahadevis, Devas, Devis and Avatars as being either lesser than Shiva or incarnations of Shiva?

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Do you personally see Shiva or other as supreme, whilst seeing the Mahadevas, Mahadevis, Devas, Devis and Avatars as being either lesser than Shiva or incarnations of Shiva?

Not lesser; I believe everything is an extension of God, so while we are of the same essence, we are not God. So Ganesha would not be supreme, but Shiva would be; however, Ganesha is of the same essence as Shiva.

Shaivism sees Shiva as Creator, Preserver, Destroyer, Revealer and Concealer. As the first two, many Shaivas see Brahma and Vishnu to be aspects of Shiva as Creator and Preserver.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I read there was a shift in the 1950s from an intellectual interest in pagan myths to a serious form of religion. I have no doubt that people before this time had interest and that some people seriously saw themselves as pagan but by the 1950 there was clearly an change in the number of people becoming pagan and a growing diversity of pagan faiths. By the 1960s variations of wicca were developing as well as people practicing Celtic/Druidism, Germanic/Heathenry/Asatru, Greek, Roman, and Egyptian paganism. What happened to cause this change? Paganism may be dwarfed by some of the Christianity, Muslim, Hindu, and Buddhism but to change from a few cult organizations to the extent we have today is an amazing event. What made paganism so attractive to overcome hundreds of years of persecution to the point of near extermination to return to the extent it has in the last 60 years?

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Roman Empire and Greek states were actually very civilized places to live in

Sure. If you were male and had either merchant status or elite status.

In Rome especially, elite status didn't just mean you had money and power, but that you usually had a villa and/or some dwelling place apart from the average city arrangement. This was important for several reasons: families lived in something like a one room apartment, and these were stacked and clustered to maximize population density. Thus several risks were constant, serious, and ubiquitous:
1) Disease. Just like parents with kids who all run around in a school transmitting bacteria and viruses, the population density for the non-elite city dwellers meant rapid spread of pretty much any transmittable disease. Also, sanitation was a serious problem despite the ingenious aqueducts of Rome.
2) Fires. Like disease, the clustering of housing allowed fires to spread rapidly and cause massive structural damage, numerous deaths or serious injuries, and the loss of housing (and possessions).
3) The legal systems of Greece and Rome differed, most of their respective legal problems are relatable if not equivalent. There were no prisons (jails, yes; but these were designed for short term stays awaiting sentencing). There were no police. If someone killed your child, friend, father, brother, sister, etc., and they weren't allowed to (see below) to, then you had to file a suit and present evidence. In Greece and during the Roman republic, this was an easier process which made it slightly more equitable. There weren't as many people to file suits, so the political/criminal authorities were able to hear more cases rather than simply having someone killed because it was easier than a trial. Importantly, and especially in the cities of the Roman empire, the population density and a lack of any police force meant it was often easy to get away with murder, theft, etc., because nobody could stop it, frequently nobody who mattered enough to ensure a trial actually cared to do so.

Related to housing were households, where extended families and (for the wealthy) slaves lived. In both ancient Greece and Rome, the male head of the household had complete control over it. This meant more than the ability to beat a slave to death because of some minor error or just out of irritation (we have descriptions of this in our literary evidence). Sons, daughters, wives, etc., could "officially" be killed on a whim by the male head of the household, but in practice having a certain status, having a wife whose family did, etc., were often mitigating factors. Still, leaving children out to die was common (the issue of how often this was simply because the child was female is debated).

Of course, there was also the rural areas and farming:
"the two subjects [farming and fighting] have become divorced and have gone off in separate directions. This is a pity, since men in ancient Greece probably spent more time fighting and farming than in any other activities."
Foxhall, L. (1993). Farming and fighting in ancient Greece in J. Rich & G. Shipley (eds.) War and Society in the Greek World (Leicester-Nottingham Studies in Ancient Society)
Farming in Greece was worse than in Rome, mainly because farmable land had to be created by removing lots of rocks from the soil.

Plutarch tells us a pretty detailed account of a particular kind of pervasive violence:

"The power of the pirates first commenced in Cilicia, having in truth but a precarious and obscure beginning, but gained life and boldness afterwards in the wars of Mithridates, where they hired themselves out and took employment in the king's service. Afterwards, whilst the Romans were embroiled in their civil wars, being engaged against one another even before the very gates of Rome, the seas lay waste and unguarded, and by degrees enticed and drew them on not only to seize upon and spoil the merchants and ships upon the seas, but also to lay waste the islands and seaport towns. So that now there embarked with these pirates men of wealth and noble birth and superior abilities, as if it had been a natural occupation to gain distinction in. They had divers arsenals, or piratic harbours, as likewise watch-towers and beacons, all along the sea-coast; and fleets were here received that were well manned with the finest mariners, and well served with the expertest pilots, and composed of swift-sailing and light-built vessels adapted for their special purpose....This piratic power having got the dominion and control of all the Mediterranean, there was left no place for navigation or commerce" (source)

Both the Roman republic and empire did have one advantage over the Greek world: a larger administration in outposts where soldiers could sometimes serve as a kind of police. In the Odyssey, when our heroes are trapped by the Cyclops, the real crime here was a violation of the xenia, the guest-friendship cultural practice. If a stranger showed up at your door, you had to do certain things and in particular not sell the guest into slavery. Xenophon gives us a nice description as it ties in more generally with violence:
"Want prompts a thousand crimes, you must admit. Why do men steal? why break burglariously into houses? why hale men and women captive and make slaves of them? Is it not from want? Nay, there are monarchs who at one fell swoop destroy whole houses, make wholesale massacre, and oftentimes reduce entire states to slavery, and all for the sake of wealth." (source)

Warfare was a constant, massive numbers of slaves from conquered regions supported both Greek and Roman economies, and violence was everywhere. Almost everybody was poor, and although living conditions for peasants/villagers were not really any different from those of the dark ages and early medieval period, at least there the village had both internal structure stabilizing it and one local lord to answer to. If he was too harsh, they could revolt. Although this was a last resort, because it meant high death tolls, the households of lords depended upon the villages they rules for sustenance. Meanwhile, in ancient Greece complete slaughter like that of the people of Milos by the Athenians was far more prevalent. Instead of a local lord who ruled over but also protected his little fiefdom, we have Roman troops posted across the empire that would ensure the pax romana remained by simply slaughtering an entire region (as was done more than once with Jerusalem and the surrounding areas).

So I don't really see how you can say either Greece or Rome were "were actually very civilized places to live in".

Death sentences are still around.
True. But it has been a very, very, long time since execution for a majority of the population didn't require any trial or even a crime. That was the case in both ancient Greece and Rome.

Especially when the modern western republic model and democracy both stem pretty straightforward from the ancient world.

More like an idealized world that never existed. For those like Locke, Jefferson, Rousseau, etc., what Greece and Rome were in terms of political structure was based on a small selection of texts written by the great orators, politicians, and philosophers. The founders of the modern republic/democratic systems were more interested in Plato's fictional debates about politics than in e.g., Thucydides' history of the Peloponnesian war.

Moreover, with every single age when Europeans started to admire ancient era again, the innovation was abundant: renaissance, for instance.
The problem is that the origins of the university and of modern science are more the product of Scholasticism than the Renaissance, and much which is credited to the Renaissance is really due to Scholastic influence. Science at that time was natural philosophy (which is what it was for the Greeks). But for Europe, "Natural philosophy was, after all, the study of the created world, in which God (the great artificer) and the Christian message were held to be revealed". from Colclough's "Scientific Writing" in the vol. 1 of A New Companion to English Renaissance Literature and Culture. It wasn't until some time after Newton that natural philosophy/science was completely divorced from Christian beliefs, rather than a product of it. Humanism too originated from Scholasticism. We have a rather unbroken chain of learning (although often much was lost and/or little gained) from the late Roman theologians through the Carolingian Renaissance to the scholastics.

The universities that began before the Renaissance as places of learning for the Church. Thus it was religion, not admiration for Greco-Roman thought, that motivated perhaps the greatest development in human history.

Also, while the art and writing of the Renaissance is distinctive and was unequaled, this was also a period where anti-intellectualism began to triumph as Luther and Calvin and doctrines like sola scriptura and sola fide replaced the emphasis on reason by those like Thomas Aquinas. It was the birth of fundamentalism.

Hesiod speaks of a golden age, European intellectuals glorified Greco-Roman civilization, and the "Noble Savage" myth developed and remained up through the 19th century. Humans have a tendency to romanticize the past.

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
Not lesser; I believe everything is an extension of God, so while we are of the same essence, we are not God. So Ganesha would not be supreme, but Shiva would be; however, Ganesha is of the same essence as Shiva.

Shaivism sees Shiva as Creator, Preserver, Destroyer, Revealer and Concealer. As the first two, many Shaivas see Brahma and Vishnu to be aspects of Shiva as Creator and Preserver.

Is this a form of pantheism? Also are you a Shaiva Hindu?