• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rise of Paganism

Since the 1950s, there has been an amazing rise in the number of people turning to a pagan religion. In addition there is an expanding diversity in the types of pagan faiths. It is interesting that in a time where science is expanding our knowledge at a rapid rate we find so many people looking into the past or creating new ways mixed with old ways to see the world. The pre-Christian religions of Europe almost disappeared with only some families carrying on traditions and the Native American religions suffered considerably but also have started to see people turning to their beliefs. What does paganism offer that can attract so many people?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, here's one recent blog post over at Patheos that is a commentary on another article that's been circulating around on the internet about why Millenials are leaving the Christian churches...

Why Millennials Love Paganism

I don't actually like the article that much, but it offers some perspective. Better perspectives can be found amongst the academics who have studied and surveyed Neopaganism. It's been a while since I've dug up my references on this and I can't find them at the moment, but Helen Berger is particularly well-known for her survey and census work of the community. I'd reference her works.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Dear Pagans and Neo-Pagans and the Respective Pagan Sects and Sub-Sects:

Please, for the love of the Gods, speed up!

Please, grow in numbers! Increase! Increase! Increase!

Rise! Rise! Rise!

Bring back the glory of Ancient Avrupa (Europe)!

M.V.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Since the 1950s, there has been an amazing rise in the number of people turning to a pagan religion. In addition there is an expanding diversity in the types of pagan faiths. It is interesting that in a time where science is expanding our knowledge at a rapid rate we find so many people looking into the past or creating new ways mixed with old ways to see the world. The pre-Christian religions of Europe almost disappeared with only some families carrying on traditions and the Native American religions suffered considerably but also have started to see people turning to their beliefs. What does paganism offer that can attract so many people?

You can consider science and new discoveries while also looking to the past and how they practiced things. I think one of the things that calls people to how they used to live and worship etc it due to how close to nature it is (most of the time), a sense of beauty to it and sometimes the simplicity of it compared to modern day religion.

danieldemol

Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3440713 said:
Dear Pagans and Neo-Pagans and the Respective Pagan Sects and Sub-Sects:

Please, for the love of the Gods, speed up!

Please, grow in numbers! Increase! Increase! Increase!

Rise! Rise! Rise!

Bring back the glory of Ancient Avrupa (Europe)!

M.V.

Yep, we all miss the days of death matches in the coliseum, slavery, murder, no human rights, general illiteracy etc.

If you wish for earth/nature based religion etc that's fine, but it is mistaken imo to wish for a "glorious" past that in practice simply was not all that glorious for anyone with the exception of an extremely limited number of nobility.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Yep, we all miss the days of death matches in the coliseum, slavery, murder, no human rights, general illiteracy etc.

If you wish for earth/nature based religion etc that's fine, but it is mistaken imo to wish for a "glorious" past that in practice simply was not all that glorious for anyone with the exception of an extremely limited number of nobility.

There should be balance :)

yoda89

On Xtended Vacation

People are searching for peaceful self reflection in their lives. Don't like to be told what to believe and what not to believe. Also because the fundamentals of many pagan worship take into account actually representations of life. Earth, Water, Fire, Wind etc. Let's hope it stays peaceful. My guess someone will come around and use it for self gain.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Namaste,

All of that (excluding the fights in the Colosseum) can be found in the history of the Abrahamic faiths as well.

Yes, it is your opinion. Duly noted, too.

M.V.

Last edited:
No matter what people think about the pagan religion its followers are on the rise. I find the word pagan to be an interesting problem. I have read many discussions about it meaning but it remains in use. The irony of the word and why some polytheists do not like the word is evidently from its origin. From what I have found the original word meant rustic or rural. This would contrast the people from the advance cities, most of whom had adopted Christianity by the time this word show up in extensive use, from the rural dwellers who still followed the Greek state religion, Roman state religion, Mithraism, various mystery religions, Celtic and Germanic religions. There was a paper that mentioned some literature from the time meaning of paganus was used to mean civilian or non-militant as opposed to solders of Christ who represented Christians. So non-Christians would be pagani. Another source compared the use of the word gentile to the word pagan to help understand its meaning. No matter of its origin the Christians in the 5th century and then on clearly meant it as a negative term for non-Christians. So why would it be one of the terms of choice in our modern revival of pagan beliefs? I know that groups of people take what was a derogatory name and change it into a positive movement with pride. By creating a new image of the word pagan with a positive spin you could influence how people familiar with the new meaning could re-look at the use in the past from a more positive perspective. But no matter what the term meant it seems to be taking on new meaning today.

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!

Since when did they have a coliseum in ancient Europe? I think the poster was referring more to the aincent Druidic/Nature beliefs that were common in aincent Europe. What you describe sounds more like Europ post Catholic Roman dominance.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Since the 1950s, there has been an amazing rise in the number of people turning to a pagan religion.

There really hasn't. Please see The Triumph of the Moon by Ronald Hutton.

In addition there is an expanding diversity in the types of pagan faiths.
Yes. It has nothing on the unbelievable splitting and diversity of Christianity after Luther, such that the number of Christian denominations is larger than actual Christians belonging to certain denominations, but then that is something Christians would care about, not (neo)pagans.

It is interesting that in a time where science is expanding our knowledge at a rapid rate we find so many people looking into the past or creating new ways mixed with old ways to see the world.

Not really. Most "ancient religions" (especially eastern) are quite modern. That is, they were (like paganism) a blend of old and new.

The pre-Christian religions of Europe almost disappeared
That's because they weren't religions in the sense that the English word denotes.

What does paganism offer that can attract so many people?

I'd tell you, but the council would revoke the millions of ounces of gold I received after initiation into...my god, I've said too much!

There really hasn't. Please see The Triumph of the Moon by Ronald Hutton.

Yes. It has nothing on the unbelievable splitting and diversity of Christianity after Luther, such that the number of Christian denominations is larger than actual Christians belonging to certain denominations, but then that is something Christians would care about, not (neo)pagans.

Ronald Hutton's book is an excellent account of especially the literary influence which preceded the development of modern paganism. There have been clear attempt to revive the pre-Christian beliefs but at what point does it change from fascination of myth to a religious movement. It seems to me if you were to pick a point where modern paganism starts 1951 it would be with the repeal of the Witchcraft Acts of England. Gerald Gardner, who claimed that he became initiated into a reported surviving witch’s coven in 1939, wrote and felt more comfortable publishing his books Witchcraft today and the Meaning of Witchcraft after the repeal of the Witchcraft Acts.

danieldemol

Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3441081 said:
Namaste,

All of that (excluding the fights in the Colosseum) can be found in the history of the Abrahamic faiths as well.

M.V.

And (excluding colosseum death matches) you can find all of that in the history of Hinduism as well since these things, far from being the unique property of any particular religion, were simply common ancient practices (or in the case of illiteracy common ancient lack of a practice).

This is why instead of attaching my disagreement to any religion I attached it to the time period itself, which as priorly stated, was not particularly glorious for the common person.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Since when did they have a coliseum in ancient Europe? I think the poster was referring more to the aincent Druidic/Nature beliefs that were common in aincent Europe. What you describe sounds more like Europ post Catholic Roman dominance.

No, it still applied to the tribes of Northern Europe, too. Our ancestors WEREN'T nice people.

They only really had two legs up on the Romans as far as ethics are concerned: they were decentralized (which is ethically arguable but I think it's good), and their women's rights were a better (though it was still a man's world.)

danieldemol

Premium Member
Since when did they have a coliseum in ancient Europe?

I think you might have to share your definition of the word "ancient" if you are going to question whether the Colosseum was ancient? Or did you mean to question whether it was located in Europe?

I think the poster was referring more to the aincent Druidic/Nature beliefs that were common in aincent Europe. What you describe sounds more like Europ post Catholic Roman dominance.

I would of course, have no way of knowing that since they used the words "pre-Christian" as opposed to "Druidic" which is a reference to a much larger conglomerate of polytheist religions.

The Colosseum was built by the pre-Christian polytheist roman emporer Vespasian around 70-80AD over 2 centuries prior to the life of Constantine. One of the means of martyrdom for early Christians in Rome was to be pitted in such death matches with tigers etc in the Collosseum itself.

No, it still applied to the tribes of Northern Europe, too. Our ancestors WEREN'T nice people.

They only really had two legs up on the Romans as far as ethics are concerned: they were decentralized (which is ethically arguable but I think it's good), and their women's rights were a better (though it was still a man's world.)

It is not fair to say our ancestors were not nice people when referring to the tribes of Northern Europe. Neither the Celts nor the Germans had a written language so most of what we know about them comes for the Romans and Greeks who thought they were barbarians. It is interesting that Julius Caesar who did not have much respect for the Celts had a fascination with the Germans as sort of a noble savage. This is recorded in his writings and in the writings of Tacitus. They found them very loyal to their wives and loyal to their leaders especially those chosen to lead because of their abilities. In this respect they were probably nice to each other to some extent. It is hard to imagine anyone being nice during the expansion of Rome since you were often struggling to survive. No one seemed nice to the people they conquered. In reference to sacrifices again we are told about this by their enemy who wrote the history they way any victor usually does by making those conquered as bad people. Archeology gives us some information but it is still up to some interpretation as to the reasons. The truth was it was hard to live during those times.

nash8

I would agree with that to a certain extent. The only part I would disagree with is the extent and the organiztion of the unethical practices. Which you coud say were attributed to the decentralization that you mentioned.

I think you might have to share your definition of the word "ancient" if you are going to question whether the Colosseum was ancient? Or did you mean to question whether it was located in Europe?

By ancient, I meant pre Roman occupation of Europe. And yes, I was reffering to the location being in Europe.

I would of course, have no way of knowing that since they used the words "pre-Christian" as opposed to "Druidic" which is a reference to a much larger conglomerate of polytheist religions.

Would nature religions work better?

The Colosseum was built by the pre-Christian polytheist roman emporer Vespasian around 70-80AD over 2 centuries prior to the life of Constantine. One of the means of martyrdom for early Christians in Rome was to be pitted in such death matches with tigers etc in the Collosseum itself.

Where? And did Vespasian adhere to the nature "religions" of pre-Christian Europe?

nash8

It is not fair to say our ancestors were not nice people when referring to the tribes of Northern Europe. Neither the Celts nor the Germans had a written language so most of what we know about them comes for the Romans and Greeks who thought they were barbarians. It is interesting that Julius Caesar who did not have much respect for the Celts had a fascination with the Germans as sort of a noble savage. This is recorded in his writings and in the writings of Tacitus. They found them very loyal to their wives and loyal to their leaders especially those chosen to lead because of their abilities. In this respect they were probably nice to each other to some extent. It is hard to imagine anyone being nice during the expansion of Rome since you were often struggling to survive. No one seemed nice to the people they conquered. In reference to sacrifices again we are told about this by their enemy who wrote the history they way any victor usually does by making those conquered as bad people. Archeology gives us some information but it is still up to some interpretation as to the reasons. The truth was it was hard to live during those times.

Frubals to you sir.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

We don't need to know details to know that they weren't nice. They were anything but barbaric, but we do know that they had weapons, and there were many, many tribes. We also know that, even once they had writing, tribalistic behaviors remained. The Saxons were regarded by the Angles as savage brutes, and I don't even know what happened to the Jutes after they arrived in Britain. Britannian Celtic speakers were driven to the far west of Britain to become the Welsh. The Picts no longer exist.

Hard living leads to hard people, and the further North you go, the harder living gets.