• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The secularist conspiracy"

no-body

OK let's start with a definition of social secularism: "it refers to the view that human activities and decisions, especially political ones, should be based on evidence and fact unbiased by religious influence."

I am both spiritual and secular. I have heard on hear from numerous people that secularism's real goal is to take down all religions. When I point out that the real goal is to keep government neutral and in favor of no one religion I get ignored.

Would someone care to answer how secularism is some sort of evil conspiracy to take down all religion? (and for the true nuts: morals, ethics, etc)

dust1n

Zindīq
OK let's start with a definition of social secularism: "it refers to the view that human activities and decisions, especially political ones, should be based on evidence and fact unbiased by religious influence."

I am both spiritual and secular. I have heard on hear from numerous people that secularism's real goal is to take down all religions. When I point out that the real goal is to keep government neutral and in favor of no one religion I get ignored.

Would someone care to answer how secularism is some sort of evil conspiracy to take down all religion? (and for the true nuts: morals, ethics, etc)

Psst.. Secularism is not diseased institutions who plan do destroy other religions and their moral foundations, it's an internal force of a population who decide they really like civil and human rights.

Last edited:

RiverSeed

Plodding Along
When you are secular, you are not really attacking religion. If you do not like religion, then you have a view against it, an extreme view. Some that fight religion think that they are doing the world a service, that they are being rational, but I do not see it that way.

EverChanging

In my daily life, the secular doesn't feel different from the sacred to me, but I make a distinction intellectually when it comes to government neutrality in religion.

Secularism is actually better for the proliferation of a diversity of religions. It's good for religion in general because they're all on equal grounding without government interference. People who attack the separation of government and religions simply can't handle not being in control of everyone. It really is as simple as that.

gnostic

The Lost One
no-body said:

Would someone care to answer how secularism is some sort of evil conspiracy to take down all religion?

Secularism has nothing to bringing down religion. That's pure nonsense and ignorance on the part of some religious people or theists. And I must stressed out SOME.

Secularism is separating state from religion. People can follow religion, but secular law provide the same protection for all citizens, hence unbiased. If the state were to follow religious law, then it would often be biased against those who don't follow that religion.

The same thing occurred with education. It okay for the Christians or Muslims to have their own private schools, but such schools are not suitable for those who don't follow either of these religions. Which is why a public state school is required, that should be available to everyone, including those who are Christians or Muslims.

There's no conspiracy against religion. Secularism allowed for anyone to follow any religion they choose. Is just that religion, especially religious law wouldn't be suitable for every citizen, who don't follow that religion.

Take Saudia Arabia for example. Islam is the state religion for the country. Christians living there, can't built churches. And the law have a lot of restrictions on Christians, such as can't teach or carry bibles out in public. How is that fair?

And worse still. Should a Saudi Muslim leave Islam, and convert to Christianity, he would be arrested, charged and convicted for apostasy, blasphemy or whatever stupid claim. That showed how biased Islamic law to be. According to the Qur'an, you can't coerce or force people to convert Islam, however, leaving Islam would turn non-Muslim into outcast at best, but into criminal at worse.

Secularism, on the other hand, give every citizen civil legal rights and human rights (except for countries ruled by dictatorship or communism). The same can't be said, should you lived in country that used religious law.

Last edited:

coolkeg

Simplest answer.....you can be secularist and religious (I.E. Christian) it just means you want politics to rule your reality and god to rule your conscious understanding of the world...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I don't think that definition works well. It is impossible to avoid being influenced by religion. Moreover, even for the non-religious,
values are not based upon evidence. Instead, how about "secularism should be unbiased by single religion or group of religions"?