• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Self?

Erik1

How do christians view the Self and conscioussnes? It has been proven through science that the mind is based on electrical impulses and chemical reactions, if these cahnge, so does your personality, your Self. And when the brain dies, so does your mind. So how does science and religion go together? It just seems like a big paradox to me. Does the Self really exist as a non changing and immortal essence? How can it?

A

angellous_evangellous

You're starting out in the wrong place.

If you want to know about the mind, try philosophy rather than science.

A

angellous_evangellous

You're starting out in the wrong place.

If you want to know about the mind, try philosophy rather than science.

A

angellous_evangellous

Thinking Christians will generally associate themselves with a philosopher's view of the self - like Plato, Kant, or Heidegger.

Little Joe Gould

Seeking God
I view the self as everything that is immaterial that makes me who I am. Such as my thoughts, feelings, perceptions, memories, conceptual constructs, etc. I believe that this immaterial substance is carried onto into a different realm after I die in some form or another because I believe that once consciousness becomes aware of itself it is indestructible.